Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator Vs ESB

Options
  • 14-05-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there as it's just this minute occurred to me as even a remote possibility. But, here's the bottom line of it:

My ESB bill is €125.00. Of that, €25.00 is me. I'm useless at counting and stuff. But, I noticed this while reading my bill, trying to fathom it. So; I'm paying €100 a quarter, just to have their meter. My actual consumption of KW's is about €25.00 a quarter. Jesus!

Could any sort of 'portable' ~ or otherwise ~ generator supply my level of KW's, at a less rise taking price, I wonder?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stigura wrote: »
    So; I'm paying €100 a quarter, just to have their meter.

Not quite. You're paying that to have the cables run to the house and ability to feed supply at your whim even when that means making power only to ground it sometimes.

For the fun of it lets do the maths. Lets say no power showers, electric oven, space heaters etc.
    EU30i - 3KW max
    3h50 @ 5.9 litres (0.0256 L/min)
    Optimistic €1.30/L

Unless I'm being a dope thats €47/day. Probably less as its unloaded but no way its cheaper than mains supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Just throwing this out there as it's just this minute occurred to me as even a remote possibility. But, here's the bottom line of it:

My ESB bill is €125.00. Of that, €25.00 is me. I'm useless at counting and stuff. But, I noticed this while reading my bill, trying to fathom it. So; I'm paying €100 a quarter, just to have their meter. My actual consumption of KW's is about €25.00 a quarter. Jesus!

Could any sort of 'portable' ~ or otherwise ~ generator supply my level of KW's, at a less rise taking price, I wonder?

Thanks.

Wow, that's dirt cheap, how many in your house ? Are you getting any subsidies or anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

" Dirt cheap " :eek:

Okay. I expected questions, seeking further details. I don't mind answering 'personal' stuff.

I'm the only one here. My bill, under FF was always €5.32 CR. I was under the 'Household Package'. Seemingly nothing I could do would make that bill higher.

FG arrived and my bill crept from, as I remember, the €30's, initially, to the last, €150+. It just goes up, every quarter. The only change in my usage has been I've stopped using the shower or washing machine altogether. Latest bill, randomly looked at, tells me I used €25 of actual juice.

I really don't want this to descend into a political matter. Let alone a middle classed family in D4 Vs a tramp in the back of beyond. I'd just appreciate a sharper mind than mine considering how many KW's a given genny could pump out, per gallon of what ever fuel they take :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So you're blaming Fine Gael? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

ED E wrote: »
    Not quite. You're paying that to have the cables run to the house and ability to feed supply at your whim even when that means making power only to ground it sometimes.

For the fun of it lets do the maths. Lets say no power showers, electric oven, space heaters etc.
    EU30i - 3KW max
    Optimistic €1.30/L

Unless I'm being a dope thats €47/day. Probably less as its unloaded but no way its cheaper than mains supply.

Ed E; Sorry! I don't know how I missed your post. Notifications sent me to Wexford's.

" EU30i - 3KW max
    Optimistic €1.30/L "

I haven't the faintest idea what all that means :o

If ye just trying to convey that, like; A gennie is like a public phone box Vs a land line? Fine. Cool. I can comprehend that. An expensive, emergency only thing? Cool.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

" Dirt cheap " :eek:

Okay. I expected questions, seeking further details. I don't mind answering 'personal' stuff.

I'm the only one here. My bill, under FF was always €5.32 CR. I was under the 'Household Package'. Seemingly nothing I could do would make that bill higher.

FG arrived and my bill crept from, as I remember, the €30's, initially, to the last, €150+. It just goes up, every quarter. The only change in my usage has been I've stopped using the shower or washing machine altogether. Latest bill, randomly looked at, tells me I used €25 of actual juice.

I really don't want this to descend into a political matter. Let alone a middle classed family in D4 Vs a tramp in the back of beyond. I'd just appreciate a sharper mind than mine considering how many KW's a given genny could pump out, per gallon of what ever fuel they take :)

Thanks.

I was neither trying to get personal nor political, it's a low bill, that was my main comment, and then I was wondering if it was due to see.form.of.rebate or was it due to the fact that your usage is in fact very low.

You could for example be a pensioner and getting credits etc, that was all I was asking to clarify.

Anyhow,, I'm done heee

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was under the 'Household Package'

You are an old age pensioner and that package means your electricity bill is already heavily subsidised by the tax payer. Keep what you have, you are onto a winner here :)

Off grid powah cannot beat conventional energy on cost in a drag race.

Advertisement