Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Paddy change the rules?

Options
  • 13-05-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Hi, was watching the eurovision last night and placed a €10 ew bet on Germany after hearing it. Now I am absolutely sure that they were paying one fifth the odds on 5 places as when I went to place a €1 ew bet on Denmark for herself later in the competition I noticed that they'd reduced the places being paid to 4, but wasn't worried as my odds were locked and couldn't change. Of course Germany came 4th, and PP say that the odds were a fifth on 3 places! and there will be no payout.

Did anyone else place ew bets on eurovision last night and did you notice the places being paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sounds about right, 5, into 4, into 3pl the further the competition progessed.
    Have a screengrab at 21:30hrs, showing 3pl (1/5) for Germany@17 with P's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

Sorry, I don't really understand

"Have a screengrab at 21:30hrs, showing 3pl (1/5) for Germany@17 with P's"

Is that paying 3 places for Germany @ 16/1 with Paddy Power at 9.30?

And are you agreeing that the places paid were being reduced as the night went on? Surely that's a bit strange as I'd have bet on the basis of Odds Vs Places? Paying 1/5th odds on 3 places is crap and I'd never do EW in that case...

Firblog wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't really understand

"Have a screengrab at 21:30hrs, showing 3pl (1/5) for Germany@17 with P's"

Is that paying 3 places for Germany @ 16/1 with Paddy Power at 9.30?

Correct.
    And are you agreeing that the places paid were being reduced as the night went on? Surely that's a bit strange as I'd have bet on the basis of Odds Vs Places? Paying 1/5th odds on 3 places is crap and I'd never do EW in that case...

Correct. And this is probably very standard practice.

After all it was only PP&Sky that had the 'generous 5pl' on offer for a fair while pre-event, as the night went on e.g. 9:30pm the market started to wind down.

'Trending' also occured, e.g. the UK went from 200/1 into 13, because some looney grabbed her microphone, but was a very false positive. Same for Ire, the only real legs the song had, was on the couple of boys jumping around.

uCpYFwr.png

The only real shock of the night, was how did Moldova and Denmark do so well.

Have to say it's first time I've bet eurovision, how are you meant to bet who is going to win without hearing the song?
    I would have expected that the number of places they pay out on would not reduce during the singing, and should not effect bets placed prior to the number of places being reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Moldova had been 1000/1 on Monday

• Advertisement

The odds and most of the songs would have been available to hear (inc official music videos, live staging and studio recordings) for possibly months beforehand.
    Moldova was so bad it was good, classic stuff. Cyprus was the real winner @67 throughout April, only dropped odds couple of weeks before SF1.

The number of places can, and will change - depending upon market conditions and what have ye. Same with most things with big fields e.g. Golf

One of the best songs was FYR Maca's tune (FTQ), and similararly Czech the year previous, which also FTQualify.
    So calling it a song contest at all, is slightly generous.

sugarman wrote: »
    obviously adjusting to bet patterns before any points were awarded and then accordingly as the competition went on and the points were being awarded.

I've no problem with betting odds being adjusted as points are being awarded, or indeed during the comp as someone makes a hash of their song etc. My issue is that I believe that the number of places being paid was reduced from 5 to 3 after I placed my eachway bet.

IMy issue is that I believe that the number of places being paid was reduced from 5 to 3 after I placed my eachway bet.

Again they'll probably tell you this is normal and to be expected in any dynamic market, more so a live fast-moving televised event.

As the place part terms would also have been stated visually on the betslip (3pl 1/5) before confirming, there is no further case here, whatsoever.

Advertisement