Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

• 31-01-2018 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All, 

New poster here - I know its quite a bit of time away and the 2018 6N is only starting this weekend, but has anyone thought of the world cup?

I see tickets are on sale already at very reasonable prices for the group games. Are these expected to sell out? Living in Australia and contemplating the trip over.
    Be interested to hear from anyone on here that would be travelling or has traveled to previous world cups.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The individual game tickets are not on sale yet, only packages for all the games of one team or all the games in one stadium. They are also done on a ballot rather than first come first served. The individual game tickets will be sold in a similar manner later in the year - there will be an application window and a ballot done after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Got an email last night saying that I was successful in the ballot for 2 CAT D tickets for Ireland's 4 games...
    Works out at about €400 for them.

I've 9 days to decide if I want them or not.

It's fookin tempting. Even though I had already told myself that it's too expensive a trip to justify... maybe it's not???

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

kuang1 wrote: »
    Got an email last night saying that I was successful in the ballot for 2 CAT D tickets for Ireland's 4 games...
    Works out at about €400 for them.

I've 9 days to decide if I want them or not.

It's fookin tempting. Even though I had already told myself that it's too expensive a trip to justify... maybe it's not???

I was unsuccessful in the ballot despite doing everything to maximise my chances :(

If you don't want to take the tickets then we should talk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Has anyone booked to go yet?

Are ye going to go with a travel company and go wit a package deal with match tickets and flights included or what do you ye think is the best way to go about travelling over.

I ended up buying the pair of tickets for the 4 group matches. But still not committed to travelling yet...building a house this year so funds gonna be tight to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Reckon if the funds allow and I can do it, will do it with one of the travel companies with guaranteed tickets. Tend to be very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Rugby Travel Ireland have a pre sale on today for registered users. What are people looking to pay to go there with tickets and accommodation?

Rugby Travel Ireland have a pre sale on today for registered users. What are people looking to pay to go there with tickets and accommodation?

Any idea about the cost of their packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

A kidney and a lung

Packages range from 4K to 13k

Doubt there will be any cheap way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Obviously Japan will be Irelands best chance to win a world cup yet so a lot of people would like to go. But Japan is far away and expensive to get to. I'd say the majority of the Irish crowd travelling will be coming from new Zealand and Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

€6000 to €12000 per person

10 nights to 32 nights

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Obviously But Japan is far away

I always thought it was just small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Booked one of the packages last night, the wife and I are going.

Having used this years holidays already and needing next years for the RWC I might not make that far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I've already got some Airbnb booked for Tokyo for the QF weekend. I'm going to do everything myself,I'll fly from Boston.

those packages are insanely expensive.
    And needless to say the public transport in Japan is second to none.

Luckily my wife seems to enjoy my hairbrained loosely organised trips, there's an extra buzz from the anxiety release when you make it!

I'm doing QF,SF and final if I can get tickets(unlikely for the final), with the hope Ireland can make the SF (here we go again).

I also want to do activities in japan in the weeks between matches. I intend to eat a lot of ramen.

The great thing is the population density of Japan means that the rugby world cup should barely put a dent in hotel market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What's the latest in the Spain v. Belgium v. Romania saga?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joycer31

I was looking up all the different packages and ‘unique Japan tours’ which are based in Dublin are the cheapest by a long way. My wife and I booked it through them and 16 nights (last group game and 2 quarter final games ) inc hotels , transfers and tours cost €3500each. All other packages cost in excess €10,000 for 12 - 14 days. Either way it’s not going to be cheap.
    Once in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

joycer31 wrote: »
    I was looking up all the different packages and ‘unique Japan tours’ which are based in Dublin are the cheapest by a long way. My wife and I booked it through them and 16 nights (last group game and 2 quarter final games ) inc hotels , transfers and tours cost €3500each. All other packages cost in excess €10,000 for 12 - 14 days. Either way it’s not going to be cheap.
    Once in

Hi, do you have a link to this package?

All I can see on their website is this one:
    https://www.uniquejapantours.com/product/featured/rugbyworldcup2019-team-ireland-10-days/

Which is a 10 day trip for the first 2 games of the league stage... thanks

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi, do you have a link to this package?

All I can see on their website is this one:
    https://www.uniquejapantours.com/product/featured/rugbyworldcup2019-team-ireland-10-days/

Which is a 10 day trip for the first 2 games of the league stage... thanks

Yes the tour advertised on their website was only for the early games so I contacted them personally to see if they were doing any others or and arranged a trip. I told them the games and dates (took of other more expensive tours) i wanted to be in JAPAN. They stated that there were other fans doing the same as me

Yes the tour advertised on their website was only for the early games so I contacted them personally to see if they were doing any others or and arranged a trip. I told them the games and dates (took of other more expensive tours) i wanted to be in JAPAN. They stated that there were other fans doing the same as me

OK thanks, also, are these match tickets that are included in your package definitely guaranteed? According to this, Club Travel are the official travel agents for Ireland: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/283440?lang=en

OK thanks, also, are these match tickets that are included in your package definitely guaranteed? According to this, Club Travel are the official travel agents for Ireland: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/283440?lang=en

No match tickets are included in the price. They guaranteed they would get them if you wanted.

• Advertisement

No match tickets are included in the price. They guaranteed they would get them if you wanted.

Sorry, I thought they were. What are you getting for 3,500 euro per person? The flights are not even included are they? (They aren't in the 10 day one on their website, I am just after realising)

Sorry, I thought they were. What are you getting for 3,500 euro per person? The flights are not even included are they? (They aren't in the 10 day one on their website, I am just after realising)

Included are 4 star hotels, transfers to and from airports, various different tours, trains transfers. It's a way of doing it a bit cheaper. If you compare the tour companies your only getting 12-13 days and it's going to cost in excess of @13000!!! While flights and tickets will prob come to a total of €1700 it would bring the total cost of 17 nights under €9200

Included are 4 star hotels, transfers to and from airports, various different tours, trains transfers. It's a way of doing it a bit cheaper. If you compare the tour companies your only getting 12-13 days and it's going to cost in excess of @13000!!! While flights and tickets will prob come to a total of €1700 it would bring the total cost of 17 nights under €9200

'Tour C' with Club Travel is 5,000 per person and is for 10 nights/11 days, includes flights, 4 star hotel accommodation and match tickets, includes playoff and 2 Quarter Finals, as well as transfers, guides and tours etc. Tickets are Category D but can be upgraded to Category B for 150 for the QFs and 75 for the Playoff.

Anyway, I guess it is still a lot of money so need to really think about it. Great that you got yours booked, should be great :)

'Tour C' with Club Travel is 5,000 per person and is for 10 nights/11 days, includes flights, 4 star hotel accommodation and match tickets, includes playoff and 2 Quarter Finals, as well as transfers, guides and tours etc. Tickets are Category D but can be upgraded to Category B for 150 for the QFs and 75 for the Playoff.

Anyway, I guess it is still a lot of money so need to really think about it. Great that you got yours booked, should be great :)

Yea we were contemplating that one but for 6 extra nights we just thought it was better value. Either way it's huge money. Will be brilliant whatever tour you go on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sorry if it's a silly question, but is that €9,200 for 2 people? Seems decent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Belgium, Spain and Romania disqualified. Russia go through to RWC 2019 as Europe 1, Germany face Portugal for right to earn Europe 2 spot and play Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Belgium, Spain and Romania disqualified. Russia go through to RWC 2019 as Europe 1, Germany face Portugal for right to earn Europe 2 spot and play Samoa.

Whole thing was a mess. Does it change much for Ireland? Would expect Samoa to qualify anyways. Romania better than Russia I imagine but would they have bigger pack so could potentially be a more bruising encounter? Or is it much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Put in to the lottery for two tickets to the qtr,semi and final. Feel like chances are low and the tickets alone are gonna set me back about 1.5k but if I get it I suppose it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing, if Ireland actually make it that far it's a once in several lifetimes occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Put in to the lottery for two tickets to the qtr,semi and final. Feel like chances are low and the tickets alone are gonna set me back about 1.5k but if I get it I suppose it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing, if Ireland actually make it that far it's a once in several lifetimes occasion.

250€ per ticket?

Advertisement