Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU RISC Study

• 09-03-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing some research in DCU which is aiming to identify the risk factors that cause running injuries. We are always looking for participants, as the more runners we get, the more robost the results will be.
    To summarise this briefly, we do a series of tests which look at your foot mechanics, your strength, flexibility, landing mechanics, power and then a 3D motion analysis of your run. Once this is complete, we track any injuries that occur over a two year period and potentially identify what the cause of the injury was.
    Let me know if you have any questions! As I am new to boards, I am unable to post a link to the website but if you look for DCU RISC Study through a search engine, you will be directed towards our website and social media platforms.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

adeburca11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am currently doing some research in DCU which is aiming to identify the risk factors that cause running injuries. We are always looking for participants, as the more runners we get, the more robost the results will be.
    To summarise this briefly, we do a series of tests which look at your foot mechanics, your strength, flexibility, landing mechanics, power and then a 3D motion analysis of your run. Once this is complete, we track any injuries that occur over a two year period and potentially identify what the cause of the injury was.
    Let me know if you have any questions! As I am new to boards, I am unable to post a link to the website but if you look for DCU RISC Study through a search engine, you will be directed towards our website and social media platforms.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Ah damn, I would have loved this. I sadly fall out of the higher end of the eligible age range :pac::(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adeburca11

Hi skyblue46, the eligible age is 18-65 years. Unfortunately the website has not been updated yet, we are having technical difficulties with editing this! I hope this will be more inclusive for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi skyblue46, the eligible age is 18-65 years. Unfortunately the website has not been updated yet, we are having technical difficulties with editing this! I hope this will be more inclusive for you.

Definitely....I have a few years left! I'll go have a further look. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Here is a link to the website for anyone looking: https://dcuriscstudy.wixsite.com/dcuriscstudy

I'm not involved at all, just sharing the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Happy to see this. I’d been thinking of participating (have been a DCU guinea pig a few times) and had also thought I was too old.

Why the original 50 limit, and why the change, as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

Murph_D wrote: »
    Happy to see this. I’d been thinking of participating (have been a DCU guinea pig a few times) and had also thought I was too old.

Why the original 50 limit, and why the change, as a matter of interest?

Probably age induced injuries wouldnt help in a study but i doubt anyone would admit that. Setting it to 65 increases the volume of volunteers and doesnt seem ageist to the ageing. Though I could be horribly wrong. Anyway does it matter, everyone gets to participate now, its free and everyones happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

joey1111 wrote: »
    Probably age induced injuries wouldnt help in a study but i doubt anyone would admit that. Setting it to 65 increases the volume of volunteers and doesnt seem ageist to the ageing. Though I could be horribly wrong. Anyway does it matter, everyone gets to participate now, its free and everyones happy.

Thanks joey, but the question was directed at the researchers.

What are age induced injuries anyway?! :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks joey, but the question was directed at the researchers.

What are age induced injuries anyway?! :pac:

ah come on now Murph you can't really be posting questions on a public forum and not expect the public to answer :D

Personally if I was conducting a study I would be taking into account that an older athlete is going to be more susceptible to injury and their form etc could be down to ageing as well.

Heres an interesting article for you to read while you wait on the experts to tell you there was no reason for it and it was a typo :pac:

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/aging/art2075.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

joey1111 wrote: »

That was the greatest load of sh1te I ever half read :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    That was the greatest load of sh1te I ever half read :D:D

I know sure what I want to know is why do races even have age categories Marty...its a load of SH$TE :D:D:pac:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 adeburca11

Murph_D, to answer your query about the original age limit, there were two reasons for this;
    1. Age has been identified as a risk factor on it's own for running injuries, despite how many years of training completed by the athlete.
    2. The majority of studies on injuries to date had a limit of 45 years so that age would not be a compounding factor in the results.
    Following a few discussions with other researchers, we have decided to include up to 65 years now and hopefully we can break new ground with running injuries that may have been overlooked previously.

Apologies for the delay in responding, I had not received a notification about your comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Just bumping this for anyone thinking about taking part in the study.
    Go for it! I had the testing done last week and it's really interesting.
    The researchers check your lower limb range of movement and muscle strength. They put sensors on different parts of your body and use state of the art techniques to video you hopping and landing off a box, and running on a treadmill.
    They are very professional and interested in whst they are doing.
    So what's in it for you? !
    The knowledge you are helping to answer questions about why runners get injured, because there are lots of unanswered questions.
    The more participants, the more robust the research findings will be.
    If you get injured, you just contact the researchers and they will reassess you and get your injury treated and see what might have contributed to your injury.
    It's interesting and free!
    If you've any questions just ask. Aoife and Sarah will be happy to help. I can answer any questions from a participants point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Animella wrote: »
    Just bumping this for anyone thinking about taking part in the study.
    Go for it! I had the testing done last week and it's really interesting.
    The researchers check your lower limb range of movement and muscle strength. They put sensors on different parts of your body and use state of the art techniques to video you hopping and landing off a box, and running on a treadmill.
    They are very professional and interested in whst they are doing.
    So what's in it for you? !
    The knowledge you are helping to answer questions about why runners get injured, because there are lots of unanswered questions.
    The more participants, the more robust the research findings will be.
    If you get injured, you just contact the researchers and they will reassess you and get your injury treated and see what might have contributed to your injury.
    It's interesting and free!
    If you've any questions just ask. Aoife and Sarah will be happy to help. I can answer any questions from a participants point of view.

I did it too. Really enjoyed it. It's really interesting, and you get to see a little stick-person-you running on the computer screen as you run on the treadmill covered in diodes.

Yes, that's cool alright, Helen Anne!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just to add the voices of those who've already done this, I found it very interesting and enjoyable. They're very professional and explain everything well. You don't spend much time on the treadmill at all and it's more about testing strength, flexibility, and I think everything is checked 3 times to get scores for the data. I quite enjoyed the box tests. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Had a free afternoon in Dublin last week so did the tests, wasn't very good at stepping off the box stuff but didn't feel the two hours passing with all the activities. Most interesting part was seeing the stick man representation of myself running. Didn't really learn anything about my own running from it but hopefully the study will uncover some trends.

Advertisement