Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest compo culture award

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

When is society going to stop catering for idiots!! Some new starter in the ESB is going to have to spend an extra hour in their induction learning about the dangers of collecting post as a result of this clown!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hope he drinks every cent

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

If someone broke a nail typing a post on Boards.ie, could they sue the owners of the site on the grounds that they did not provide training in how to post safely?

I'll sue you if I'm replying to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

major bill wrote: »
    When is society going to stop catering for idiots!! Some new starter in the ESB is going to have to spend an extra hour in their induction learning about the dangers of collecting post as a result of this clown!!!

Everyone in the ESB is going to be sent on that course, plus the one about using staircases and the use of a handrail when using stairs, the HR training team will need a bonus video refresher course with multi choice q&a to be completed each year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wonder how popular he'll be in the staff canteen now? It can be a very lonely place.

Probably welcomed with open arms as half of them have already had similar claims themselves....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

washman3 wrote: »
    Probably welcomed with open arms as half of them have already had similar claims themselves....;)

Honour among thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gravelly wrote: »
    Was just about to say what RacoonQueen said above - I'm familiar with the training culture in the ESB and there is absolutely no way anyone, in any department there, hasn't had manual handling training. This guy apparently needed someone to demonstrate how to walk and carry a few letters at the same time.

Agreed. I can guarantee he got annual manual handling courses and was aware of the mantra in every ESB office to "hold the rail" on stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

enricoh wrote: »
    When yer on 350k a year like the judge 110k actually seems reasonable!
    More health and safety training now required for companies as a result of this judge. More costs onto companies = higher prices for consumers.

Still no sign of Ireland cutting whiplash payouts like the UK did to 500stg. Too many snouts in the trough

What Judge in the Republic of Ireland is on 350,000 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Agreed. I can guarantee he got annual manual handling courses and was aware of the mantra in every ESB office to "hold the rail" on stairs.

The next intake of employees will have to do the "manual handling while walking downstairs with letters" course, complete with 287 powerpoint slides, and a multiple choice test at the end. They will be presented with a MHWWDWL certificate, which will require retraining every 2 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When coming back into the office building with my mid morning cuppa, I often pick up my companies post and bring it up the stairs. Often there are amazon parcels etc so my hands can be quite full. I've never been trained for, or asked to do this task, but I mean if I was to like spill tea on myself or something, how much do you folks think I could get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

When coming back into the office building with my mid morning cuppa, I often pick up my companies post and bring it up the stairs. Often there are amazon parcels etc so my hands can be quite full. I've never been trained for, or asked to do this task, but I mean if I was to like spill tea on myself or something, how much do you folks think I could get?

For a mere tea spill I'm guessing €50k or so would be fair recompense, but If I were you I'd go for the full "fall down AND spill tea on myself" - that must be worth in the region of €150k-€200k surely. If you make sure one of the Amazon packages hits you on the way down, I can't see why it couldn't run to a quarter of a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gravelly wrote: »
    For a mere tea spill I'm guessing €50k or so would be fair recompense, but If I were you I'd go for the full "fall down AND spill tea on myself" - that must be worth in the region of €150k-€200k surely. If you make sure one of the Amazon packages hits you on the way down, I can't see why it couldn't run to a quarter of a million.

And what if there was an Apple device in the Amazon package :eek:
    Jerpus, I'd see it running into a couple of million.
    Apple will settle in a jiffy, since they've already seen how bad the judicial system is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Wonder how popular he'll be in the staff canteen now? It can be a very lonely place.

On the contrary, he'll have a crowd gathered around him looking for tips and legal advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Surely the decades of successful postal collections before the incident could have been considered "on the job training"?

I'll hazard a guess that if had actually been sent for "how to collect the post" training he'd have been all over them for implying he was stupid.

Mind Boggled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Beasty wrote: »
    Broke my foot falling down the bottom step bringing the kids presents down on XMas Eve - I'm assuming I can sue them and my insurance will have to pay out because it's all their fault and they are presumably covered under my policy....

Perhaps - it depends whether the steps conform to Building Regulations or whether there was some defect in the bottom step

You should contact a solicitor for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wait.....you didn't receive any tea-making training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What happened to accidents just being accidents?

Why is someone else always to blame?

Why can people not just accept that sometimes bad things happen through no ones fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Another claim when he falls carrying a compensation cheque?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wait.....you didn't receive any tea-making training?

Oh no. That's why I go to the restaurant next door to buy it. I'd never risk making it myself without formal training.

Come to think of it, we've never been trained on cleaning up after ourselves in the office kitchen, now makes sense why hardly any f*cker does it. Too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It's easy to be generous with other peoples things.

• Advertisement

Very. Think they give a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Whats funny about these overdone threads about 'compo payouts' is I know for a fact that every bitter cun# on it would be straight down to their solicitor if they got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

That's not true,
    I rear ended an old couple and they just wanted directions.
    I was also side swiped (three panels busted) and only wanted my car back in order.

Not everyone is a greedy fecker looking for a payout at the expense of their fellow Irishmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

Jaysus i got sprayed in the eye with acid in work. Its grand now but seems like i missed a trick. I could have got at least a million for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I foresee the Union Beards looking for danger money, for anyone not working on the ground floor

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I blame the judge far more than the guy.

If he is left with long term injuries then maybe his employer bears some responsibility for that.

But to me it's about the wet slippy stairs. Esb are liable because they have stairs that are slippy when they get wet and they can get wet.

The post training that the article focuses on is irrelevant, he'd have fallen either way probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Do you get taxed on payouts such as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

What Judge in the Republic of Ireland is on 350,000 euro?

All of them.

After the kickbacks from the lawyers that make a mint on the compo industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Why are parcels being delivered upstairs only for them to be brought down again. Maybe some cost savings here which will no doubt be passed to the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The 80k a year plus the lump sum and 500 a week pension isnt enough for him

Obviously not no.
    This is hardly the esb's fault its the judicial system that's allowed this.

Advertisement