Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Grass Track

• 20-05-2015 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when this is open? Could use it for a lunch time session

I see the BHAA race is back on there on 10th June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Passed by the track today and it looks like they have just finished laying out the track. It was after lunch when i passed so i am not sure if the usual runners have arrived yet.

t70l6w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Do people just go in & use this or is there some regulation around it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Would be handy this!

kit3 wrote: »
    Do people just go in & use this or is there some regulation around it ?

No there are no set regulations about its use, just a bit of common sense.
    Don't use if there is a cricket match on,
    Don't use if the ground is very soft,
    Don't get in the way if the groundstaff are working on the pitch and
    Don't be surprised if a child/student wanders around in front of you while running

It tends to be busiest at lunch time 12.30 - 14.00 and some groups do use it for structured sessions (IIRC Tuesdays and Thursday last year) but the track is not reserved for them and during very warm and sunny days people eating their lunch may encroach on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Think i might go over today for a session, as failed to get out last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Would recommend it, done 200s there today.

Just a heads up to everyone that as of lunchtime today the grass track has been marked out on the cricket pitch in Trinity

I can confirm that the grass track has been marked out this week and apparently open for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

The best news I've heard all year!!! Hey, it's been a slow year....
    No, great news... Very lucky to be able to use this

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

yep thats correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Summer has officially begun...

Annual update, the groundsmen have been out marking the track today so i expect the full lining to be completed this week
    KQJQ4xi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I was told a week or two ago that the official opening date is May 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

How long do they keep the track there for? Assume anyone can walk in off the street? Could be convenient for me for the occasional lunchtime session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Anyone can walk in. Tends to be there for whole summer.

''Tis an oasis in the city centre.

The track is usually there until early September but judging by the markings this year it has been moved slightly east, closer to the Pav which may result in encroachment on to the track when the sun is out from lunchtime diners and patrons of the Pav.

Track is open to all but use of the track is limited by cricket fixtures and the Trinity Summer Concerts from the 23rd-29th July

Chivito550 wrote: »
    How long do they keep the track there for? Assume anyone can walk in off the street? Could be convenient for me for the occasional lunchtime session.

It's really handy for a lunchtime session. Better to get there between 12-1pm than 1pm-2pm if possible as less people there. Actually Tuesday and Friday are the busiest days. Across the road from our office so great for me

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Are those interval sessions on there in the Summer? Can anyone join in?

It's really handy for a lunchtime session. Better to get there between 12-1pm than 1pm-2pm if possible as less people there. Actually Tuesday and Friday are the busiest days. Across the road from our office so great for me

Being a grass track it’s not as useful for sprinting as it is for distance, but still handy in case I can’t make it to irishtown for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

The track is booked 1-2pm every Tue & Thur for running group exclusive use all summer.

• Advertisement

s_gr wrote: »
    The track is booked 1-2pm every Tue & Thur for running group exclusive use all summer.

Where did you see that? This will be the first year that this would of happened?

Where did you see that? This will be the first year that this would of happened?

Trinity Sport now charge groups to use the track, the track has been booked last 2 years at these times and the group have to pay so hence it has exclusive use of the track. I know few people in the group

Trinity Sport now charge groups to use the track, the track has been booked last 2 years at these times and the group have to pay so hence it has exclusive use of the track. I know few people in the group

The track was never booked for exclusive use last year. Groups do pay a fee for using the track but don't have exclusive rights to it. I trained all of last summer at 1pm on a Tuesday.

There was also more than one group at that time on the track!

The track was never booked for exclusive use last year. Groups do pay a fee for using the track but don't have exclusive rights to it. I trained all of last summer at 1pm on a Tuesday.

There was also more than one group at that time on the track!

I am told it was and you can check with TCD Sport and they will confirm the booking. Same arrangement this year. The running group has various levels so hence different groups of runners on the the track

I am told it was and you can check with TCD Sport and they will confirm the booking. Same arrangement this year. The running group has various levels so hence different groups of runners on the the track

I know who the running group is, I have trained with them in the past. But anyone can use the track at anytime unless the grounds man ask you to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Being a grass track it’s not as useful for sprinting as it is for distance, but still handy in case I can’t make it to irishtown for whatever reason.

Can you pay at as you go at Irish Town track?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

demfad wrote: »

yeah, a fiver

demfad wrote: »

Yeh €5.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeh €5.20.

Free if you’re a Crusader. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

The running group that trains on the grass track in Trinity is TTRacers. They train there Tuesday and Thursday lunchtime in summer and in Ringsend in winter. It looks like a nice club. I’ve often seen a fairly pacey group of about 10 doing laps in the summer. I presume it’s them. They have a website but I cannot tell you the address.

It’s cheap to join them, €40 a year and about €15 extra for using the Trinity track. I doubt that they have exclusive use of it though. I think anyone can go and run on it in season.

This year the grass was bad on the track and it delayed opening. It usually opens in the middle of April. I asked a groundskeeper last month and he said that it would be open May 15th this year. It closes for running in November.

Advertisement