Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR training - % of Max or HRR

Options
  • 09-05-2018 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Should you use % of Max heart rate or Heart Rate reserve to set my training zones?

They produce two hugely differing zone ranges that make me wonder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Keeks wrote: »
    Should you use % of Max heart rate or Heart Rate reserve to set my training zones?

They produce two hugely differing zone ranges that make me wonder

A lot of debate on this subject, you'll have to look at both sides of the argument.. I go with % max because I think it reflects my effort better. My resting HR (complete rest) is in the late 40's but as soon as I lift a muscle it jumps to 70's so reserve wouldn't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I have used this one and it matched my actual zones very well when I did a VO2 max test.

220-age-resting heart rate x % intensity+Resting heart rate = Target HR

Example for a 40 year old with RHR of 50 and 60% intensity

220-40-50 x .6+50 = 128

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

jameshayes wrote: »
    A lot of debate on this subject, you'll have to look at both sides of the argument.. I go with % max because I think it reflects my effort better. My resting HR (complete rest) is in the late 40's but as soon as I lift a muscle it jumps to 70's so reserve wouldn't work for me

Why wouldn't HRR work for you?

Advertisement