Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conspiracy about the flat earth conspiracy - Thread bans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I always thought there was nobody who really believed in the flat earth theory, just people on the internet arguing AGAINST it because it makes them feel clever and vaguely scientifically informed.

Then I moved to Denton Texas. My first day there I drove past a car absolutely COVERED in slogans and flags and stuff saying that "earth is flat" and that we should "RESEARCH IT" and to look up some guy called Dubray on youtube.

Turns out there are two such cars around our little university town like this, both owned by the same guy, whose house is also covered in similar slogans. I thought it must be an elaborate joke but apparently he's for real. Here's an article about him in the college newspaper:

https://www.ntdaily.com/a-local-conspiracy-realist/

My wife drove by his house once and he was out in the front garden waving a gigantic Texas flag on the bonnet of his car, topless.

It's amazing. I've never talked to him, but by all accounts he's quite personable, and REALLY eager to talk about his theory.

Anyway on topic with the general tendency that flat earthers all seem to have specific little versions of the theory and quirks in their theory, this guy's really interesting one is that he says that after the "wall" of Antarctica, the land goes on, infinitely, in every direction.

Oh, I highly recommend reading the comments, by the way.

Going to assume you mean Eric Dubay not Dubray?

Or maybe you do mean Dubray, but this guy is one of the main Flat earth guy on youtube. But listening to his youtube videos he prays on people with little to no formal education.
    Anyone with basic math skills can work out he is talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I always thought there was nobody who really believed in the flat earth theory, just people on the internet arguing AGAINST it because it makes them feel clever and vaguely scientifically informed.

Then I moved to Denton Texas. My first day there I drove past a car absolutely COVERED in slogans and flags and stuff saying that "earth is flat" and that we should "RESEARCH IT" and to look up some guy called Dubray on youtube.

Turns out there are two such cars around our little university town like this, both owned by the same guy, whose house is also covered in similar slogans. I thought it must be an elaborate joke but apparently he's for real. Here's an article about him in the college newspaper:

https://www.ntdaily.com/a-local-conspiracy-realist/

My wife drove by his house once and he was out in the front garden waving a gigantic Texas flag on the bonnet of his car, topless.

It's amazing. I've never talked to him, but by all accounts he's quite personable, and REALLY eager to talk about his theory.

Anyway on topic with the general tendency that flat earthers all seem to have specific little versions of the theory and quirks in their theory, this guy's really interesting one is that he says that after the "wall" of Antarctica, the land goes on, infinitely, in every direction.

Oh, I highly recommend reading the comments, by the way.

Going to assume you mean Eric Dubay not Dubray?

Or maybe you do mean Dubray, but this guy is one of the main Flat earth guy on youtube. But listening to his youtube videos he prays on people with little to no formal education.
    Anyone with basic math skills can work out he is talking nonsense.
    I haven't got a clue how you spell it, to be honest, it's written in yellow paint on the side of a pick up truck in my town by someone who thinks the Earth is flat and also infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

There is also a group in Scotland who go around meeting people in the street trying to convince them flat earth is real.

One of the guys in the group has a "masters degree in physics".

I haven't got a clue how you spell it, to be honest, it's written in yellow paint on the side of a pick up truck in my town by someone who thinks the Earth is flat and also infinite.

Yeah must be him.
    I actually know someone that has bought into this and the only reason I looked into it.

I have done a lot of 3 physics modelling, and not all the science or math is that simple. Gravity for example is actually complicated, so it becomes easy for people like him to bamboozle people who perhaps have not had to think about it all that much.

But anyone that has worked in math or scientific field should easily be able to pick apart most of what he says.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    There is also a group in Scotland who go around meeting people in the street trying to convince them flat earth is real.

This video is idiotic....

I would like to know who has a masters degree in physics? And where he got his degree.

Also not a fan of masters degree without know when their undergrad was.

• Advertisement

This video is idiotic....

I would like to know who has a masters degree in physics? And where he got his degree.

Also not a fan of masters degree without know when their undergrad was.

Gavin who comes on the video at (18:39) has a "masters degree in physics" from Edinburgh University.

Gavin who comes on the video at (18:39) has a "masters degree in physics" from Edinburgh University.

Just Gavin?

I do not have time to watch the full video.
    I doubt he is anyone credible but Gavin is not enough for me to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Flat Earth is fascinating just because it is so easily debunked by basic physics. I don’t understand how these people get very far with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Every country on earth would have to have kept this knowledge a secret for thousands of years. Sumerians 9,000-year-old civilization depicted all the planets in our universe ( yes that's a mystery how they knew this!)

Why would humans care if the earth was flat anyway nothing to be gained lying about something so stupid. The moon would have to be hologram too as it clearly a sphere in the night sky.

Moon and Sun is clear evidence the earth is not flat. There no way you fake objects that large in the Sky.

• Advertisement

Moon and Sun is clear evidence the earth is not flat. There no way you fake objects that large in the Sky.

I am not even sure what flat earthers believe. Not sure there is even a consensus.

There are however a few mistakes people make when listening to this.

1. The horizon - The horizon is flat... Flat earther try and push the idea that if the earth is a ball then the horizon would be curved... Not true, the horizon will still be flat. The curvature is really only perceivable on the vertical i.e. Things moving away breaking the horizon.

2. From an plane - Again this is another argument over nothing.
    Eventually if you get high enough you will begin to see the edges of view.
    The edges of view on a ball is simply the outer most edge before the ball begins to curve back in on itself.
    However if the earth is flat like plate or spherical like a ball, in both cases you will see the curvature of the the planet if you simply move far enough away from it.

But arguments made are moot points.

I think more recently FE have claimed that the moon, sun and even mars is a spherical, it is only the earth that is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If the earth isn’t flat though why does NASA continue to deny it? Checkmate, liberals.

I think more recently FE have claimed that the moon, sun and even mars is a spherical, it is only the earth that is flat.

Really why would the earth be abnormal to everything else doesn't make sense? I don't understand why anyone would cover up the earth is flat as it benefits nobody to claim differently. If Earth was flat that would make our planet even more special and people would talk about that.

Really why would the earth be abnormal to everything else doesn't make sense? .
    See there's your problem. You're looking for the sense.

See there's your problem. You're looking for the sense.

I watched a few videos on this subject and still don't get it:D

Really why would the earth be abnormal to everything else doesn't make sense? I don't understand why anyone would cover up the earth is flat as it benefits nobody to claim differently. If Earth was flat that would make our planet even more special and people would talk about that.

It was a joke that Elon Musk tweeted but the Flath Earth Society tweeted back..

Actually it was just Mars, do not think they mention the Sun or Moon.

https://twitter.com/flatearthorg/status/935644892721762305?lang=en

I think for the true believers of the FE, I think most who claim to be FE are just taking the p1ss but I think for the true FE's it is more to do with religion.

That the earth is some kind of spiritual plane just for us made by god where the laws of physics do not need to make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ninjamonkey

Everyone Knows the World is really a massively flat Pizza. the mountains are pieces of onion, and the valleys are flowing swathes of pepperoni. It all sits on top of a Cosmic Pint of Guinness. When we drill through the earths core, and find "oil" - thats the greatest conspiracy of them all. its really Guinness that flows from the earths core, all taken from the cosmic pint that the flat earth sits on.

The Scottish flat earth guy is back hes offering people on the street 100 Pound to prove the earth is round.

The Scottish flat earth guy is back hes offering people on the street 100 Pound to prove the earth is round.

The phrase "the blind leading the blind" is apt here.

He probably does not believe in X-Rays either.

Ye canny see through solid objects can ye.... So X-rays are a load of rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

The biggest black project since Roswell!
    ( theirs a chapter in "6th ocean" that brings new light on the subject)

• Advertisement

jonbravo wrote: »
    The biggest black project since Roswell!
    ( theirs a chapter in "6th ocean" that brings new light on the subject)
    Well this was very helpful and informative, thank you.

If people really believe the earth is flat I don't see why they don't all head down to Antarctica.

As far as I know no flat earth people have actually gone to Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Look up at the moon and it’s round so good chance the earth is!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Circularly mucklarly dust bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Nope, if you look up at the moon it’s a circle, ie a flat disc. Anyway that doesn’t matter as everyone knows the moon is made out of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There is a guy on youtube who's video came up in my recommended who shows videos from flat earthers and goes true them. The couple of videos I have watched were in relation to curvature calculation and saying I see things I should not see. They are hilarious some stuff even I could debunk and show why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

If people really believe the earth is flat I don't see why they don't all head down to Antarctica.

As far as I know no flat earth people have actually gone to Antarctica.

Because the UN have boats patrolling the seas to take out anyone who dares approach the wall of ice that is Antarctica.

Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Nope, if you look up at the moon it’s a circle, ie a flat disc. Anyway that doesn’t matter as everyone knows the moon is made out of cheese.

David Icke reckons it’s hollow 0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lunar libration clearly shows the Moon is a sphere. Also easily observable by anyone:

Lunar_libration_with_phase_Oct_2007_450px.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Why do you say that it is not possible? The question was "Is it possible...?" and you emphatically stated that it was NOT possible.

Is it possible that I could tell a lie? Of course. Why would you say that it is not possible?

Advertisement