Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Trump is against the Iran deal because the black guy was for it.

He is for NK talks because the black guy was against them.

Is it really that simple? I mean, it certainly looks that way, and the pull out of the Paris accord was seemingly based on, at best, a complete misunderstanding of the accord.

Indeed. He is unaware of the details of the deal so he can't be against it itself. Now whether or not he wants to renegotiate or go to war after is anybody's guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kilns wrote: »
    If the rest of the world continues with the deal and ignores the US this could be the beginning of the end for the US as the number one world super power.  I find it very hard to find a world leader who has any respect for Trump with probably the exception of a few idiots around the world including that war mongerer in Israel

But everyone else needs to keep the sane people in the US on side in order to sell them things, and buy stuff from them. The rest of the world can try to cut out the US on intelligent discussions regarding diplomacy, but we still need to carry on using them to make money.

It is the trade that will keep the US relevant to the rest of the world and therefore a "super power", even if there is an idiot in charge of the military and being the humblest ever, healthiest ever, most popular ever, biglyest ever president.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can he really do anything but cancel the deal? He has marched all his supporters up the the top of the hill on this one (although the polls in the US seem to indicate that the majority want to stay in the deal).

To climb down now would be seen, by Trump particularly, as a loss. Trump only cares about winning, doesn't really matter what that actually means. So I get the feeling, just like with the Paris accord, that this is more about Trump saying he did something rather than him actually having any real idea of what he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Can he really do anything but cancel the deal? He has marched all his supporters up the the top of the hill on this one (although the polls in the US seem to indicate that the majority want to stay in the deal).

To climb down now would be seen, by Trump particularly, as a loss. Trump only cares about winning, doesn't really matter what that actually means. So I get the feeling, just like with the Paris accord, that this is more about Trump saying he did something rather than him actually having any real idea of what he wants.

Agree, and to add, one of his primary (if not the primary) motivators is to erase Obama's legacy, so that surely makes the Iran Deal a prime target.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Unless he alleges that he "negotiated" concessions from allies and Iran, better than Obama's deal blah blah blah. It will be lapped up by his base and that is all he cares about. Facts don't matter to him or his supporters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kilns wrote: »
    I find it very hard to find a world leader who has any respect for Trump with probably the exception of a few idiots around the world including that war mongerer in Israel

None of them have respect for him, they are just okay with using him to further their own pretty ****ed up agendas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Apparently DJT has told Maccron they will be pulling out of the iran deal.

Also, speaking of pulling out, and in this case that he should have, rumours it was DJT that paid the 1.6m to the playgirl bunny and not Briody, for the abortion.

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/993865179195523072?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Instead of a businessman/reality TV star like Donald Trump, I would like to see an ACTUAL politician become President.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Trump just announced the US is out of the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Trump has possibly threaten sanctions on the EU et al if they don't follow his line. At least that's how the BBC are reporting it.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Trump just announced the US is out of the deal

I bet the puppeteer pulling his Strings made that decision. Who took over from Bannon?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Trump has possibly threaten sanctions on the EU et al if they don't follow his line. At least that's how the BBC are reporting it.

thats how i read it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Whatever about the Iran deal itself, it's a big blow to the US's ability to negotiate any future agreements with anyone.
    Overturning a signed agreement for no good reason simply tells the rest of the world that it's not worth making major treaties / deals with the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He might soon realise how isolated the US is, especially if the other signatories press ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah, if he gets re-elected then sorry the US deserve what they've gotten. Is Iran closer to getting nuclear weapons now in 2018 than when the deal was signed ? According to the monitoring agency the answer is no. Just because your predecessor signed a deal is not in any way a good reason to pull out of a deal that from all I've seen is working.

Let Trump impose sanctions on the EU and other parties to this deal, and let the EU and other respond in kind and see how his base react when it hits them in the pocket and possibly jobwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump responded to a question about how this will make America safer by saying this will make America safer.

I feel convinced he has any idea what this deal was about. This kills the deal though?

Is it worth Iran staying in with the US out? They also have to consider a possible US invasion now as well whether or not they go back to developing weapons. Indeed having weapons might be the only thing that is sure to stop the US from invading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hurrache wrote: »
    He might soon realise how isolated the US is, especially if the other signatories press ahead with it.

I dont think he has the capacity to understand that, but his only concern is to keep his devoted followers happy regardless of the consequences, so he wouldn't care anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Trump is a complete clown & a fool. The U.S. is slowly becoming a real international isolated cesspool with him at the helm of U.S. President.

Some news updates from the BBC.

Iran is now saying that the U.S. pulling out of this deal is illegal & illegitimate.

Iran is also saying that they will continue on staying with the deal without the U.S.

U.S. Treasury will be imposing sanctions after 180 days.

Macron has said that France along with Germany & the UK have announced regret on decision about the deal from President Trump.

I think the final nail is going into the coffin of Trump's "presidency".

CNN also assuming the statements made about potential sanctions are targeted at the US's allies. Are there no diplomats around?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Christy42 wrote: »
    They also have to consider a possible US invasion now as well whether or not they go back to developing weapons. Indeed having weapons might be the only thing that is sure to stop the US from invading.

An attempted occupation and regime change in Iran would make Vietnam look like a training exercise-the Iranians have some serious Russian hardware-they probably have the capacity to take out an aircraft carrier for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

"The Iranian regime is the leading state sponsor of terrorism"

Says the friend to the country who pushes Islamic extremism and funded 9/11

Edit: He is just so hard to watch. The breathing into the microphone, the squint eyes and the bad fake tan are just off putting. Also, is it just me or do his hands look unusually large?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think the final nail is going into the coffin of Trump's "presidency".

How so? Most of his base will lap this up.

Same as coming out of the Paris accord. They have no idea why its bad, but Trump says it is, and promised to do something so this is MAGA!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd think someone with the apparent business acumen of Trump would realise that breaking a contract with other parties on a whim is a pretty idiotic move at the best of times. What value do diplomatic treaties possess, with the sitting president tearing up am active agreement? To me it tangentially undermines others such as the GFA, itself under attack from brexiteers as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

2 hours ago
    A senior White House official on Tuesday denied a New York Times report that said U.S. President Donald Trump had told France’s President Emmanuel Macron that he would be withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Christy42 wrote: »
    Trump responded to a question about how this will make America safer by saying this will make America safer.

I feel convinced he has any idea what this deal was about. This kills the deal though?

Is it worth Iran staying in with the US out? They also have to consider a possible US invasion now as well whether or not they go back to developing weapons. Indeed having weapons might be the only thing that is sure to stop the US from invading.

Iran would still have develop these nukes, and restarting that program in earnest sounds like a mighty good excuse to invade for Trump and his hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A lot of this is pure spite to ruin Obama’s legacy.

Also it seems Netanyahu has huge leverage on him.

The irony of him blaming Iran for terrorism while bowing and scraping to the Saudis.

Hope the EU, China and others slap him down and tell him to get back in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

briany wrote: »
    Iran would still have develop these nukes, and restarting that program in earnest sounds like a mighty good excuse to invade for Trump and his hawks.

Given that it's last two ventures are still sucking money, lives and whatever else, I'd be very suprised if such a notion would fly amongst most Republicans or Democrats.

May has said Britain, France and I think Germany, the ticker changed, are staying in deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Imagine being in the US army with this warmongering feckless buffoon as the chief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement