Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten-free beer suggestions?

• 08-05-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

I’m looking for recommendations for a gluten-free, pils/lager type (not ale type) beer.

Any suggestions?

Happy to try a few different ones.

In terms of sourcing, I’m Dublin-based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Only 2 that spring to mind are ales unfortunately

Magic rock fantasma IPA & Brewdog Vagabond pale ale

Edit : Don't actually recall ever seeing a gluten free lager/pils

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Dinarius wrote: »
    I’m looking for recommendations for a gluten-free, pils/lager type (not ale type) beer.

Any suggestions?

Happy to try a few different ones.

In terms of sourcing, I’m Dublin-based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

D.

Estrella Doura

Bit like Stella Artois but more " bite "

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's an ad in the current ALDI catalogue for Brown Bear gluten free lager, dunno if it's part of their regular range or a limited special.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

How about GF peroni? Dunnes sell it and it's not too bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There are a few Irish gluten-free lagers around. 9 White Deer's Stag Saor Kölsch is about the best of them. There's also Wicklow Wolf Arcadia, Foxes Rock Gluten Free Lager, Brú Lager and the Aldi one mentioned above. None are great tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

BeerNut wrote: »
    None are great tbh.
    Unfortunately when you're coeliac your definition of "great" changes! :(
    Stag Saor stout is pretty good for those of us who miss a pint of porter. I'd even say it's nicer than the homogenised bland Guinness that's sold these days.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Unfortunately when you're coeliac your definition of "great" changes! :(
    But the gluten-free ale options are much tastier, including the Stag Saor Stout you mentioned. There's no gluten in hops! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Estrella Galicia the 5.5% one that spoons serves is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for all the replies.

I tend to drink wine, but I had this in London last week https://www.bellfieldbrewery.com/ (the Pils, not the ale) and I loved it and it got me thinking.

Unfortunately, it’s not available in Ireland; hence my question about what is.

D.

But the gluten-free ale options are much tastier, including the Stag Saor Stout you mentioned. There's no gluten in hops! ;)

Not great if you don't like ale or indeed hoppy beers.:D

• Advertisement

Not great if you don't like ale or indeed hoppy beers.:D
    No such thing as "don't like ale", only "haven't found one I like" :P

No such thing as "don't like ale", only "haven't found one I like" :P

I'm old enough to say I've tried quite a few and didn't like any! :D

I'm old enough to say I've tried quite a few and didn't like any! :D
    What was wrong with The White Hag's Little Fawn?

What was wrong with The White Hag's Little Fawn?

You don't seriously expect me to justify not liking any beer you like?

You don't seriously expect me to justify not liking any beer you like?
    Of course not. I'm just wondering what it was you didn't like it about Little Fawn.

Of course not. I'm just wondering what it was you didn't like it about Little Fawn.

It's a few years since I tried it - pre-coeliac diagnosis - but I remember it being hoppy (which I said I don't like) and fruity (which I don't like!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is a really widely available one called hufi

gmisk wrote: »
    There is a really widely available one called hufi

Yep, had one the other day. It's ok. Perfectly drinkable on a hot day after doing the garden! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Greens range of gluten free beers are meant to be good. They do a pilsner in their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The 9 White Deer range is excellent. Both in bottles, and what's available on draught.

My go-to for cans at home is Hufi. 500ml can for €1.90. 6 for a tenner in Dunnes. As good as any other lager I remember from my pre-diagnosis days, though admittedly I was never much of a lager drinker.

My local sells multi-award winning Brú Lager (and not in any GF awards, regular awards), and also the czech Bernard Lager, which has a nice punch to it.

Green's Pilsner is nice if you like Pilsner, and they do some dark beers too, though harder to find here.

Wicklow Wolf have Arcadia, on tap and in bottles, and also an excellent lager.

Also discovered recently, Kinsale 1601, which went down a treat on a summers day.

Daura Lager is p*ss IMO, and only drinkable when it's too cold to taste.

Peroni GF is grand.

The choice out there these days is overwhelming compared to even 5 years ago. Mainly due to the enzyme that can be added now to reduce gluten content. Availability is also fantastic. I used to have to get in the car and drive 3 miles to an off licence that had GF beer. Now my local Molloy's have 10 variants in stock.

• Advertisement

The 9 White Deer range is excellent. Both in bottles, and what's available on draught.
    The brewer told me that the Kölsch is called Fia on draught, but they don't label it as gluten-free because they can't guarantee how well the pub has cleaned its lines of whatever was on previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Aldi have a Larger called Skinny Brands it gluten free and vegan, and diet if you are worried about that. Haven't tried it as gluten doesn't bother me but some of my family are celiac and others have an intolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

The brewer told me that the Kölsch is called Fia on draught, but they don't label it as gluten-free because they can't guarantee how well the pub has cleaned its lines of whatever was on previously.

Interesting. Their Stag Stout is labelled as GF.
    Similarly Brú and Arcadia all labelled as GF on taps.

The onus has to be on the pub I guess. Any pub worth it's salt *should* of course be cleaning/sterilizing taps between beers.. buyer beware and all that though.

Brú also offer GF IPA, Lager, Stout and......can't remember...

EDIT: https://www.brubrewery.ie/beers/

jim salter wrote: »
    Brú also offer GF IPA, Lager, Stout and......can't remember...

EDIT: https://www.brubrewery.ie/beers/

Only their Lager is GF.

The onus has to be on the pub I guess. Any pub worth it's salt *should* of course be cleaning/sterilizing taps between beers.. buyer beware and all that though.
    It's hard enough to get cafes and restaurants to take the danger of cross contamination seriously. I wouldn't be quick to trust (most) pubs.

Only their Lager is GF.

Was in a pop-up GF shop off Dawson St and there was a guy from the Brewery there and they had a sampling of 4 different types, unless they were testing the market and decided not proceed with the others.

It's hard enough to get cafes and restaurants to take the danger of cross contamination seriously. I wouldn't be quick to trust (most) pubs.

You're not just talking about gluten. If pipes aren't cleaned properly it reflects on the beer that comes out afterwards. I've spoken with brewers and publicans about this very concern, and you'd know pretty quickly if a line wasn't cleaned before a new beer went in.

The only problem I've ever experienced with CC and beer is when foam was scraped off the top. Same scraper for all beers. I quickly explained and was given a new pint. Since then, I've never ordered a pint without being able to see it being poured.

• Advertisement

jim salter wrote: »
    Was in a pop-up GF shop off Dawson St and there was a guy from the Brewery there and they had a sampling of 4 different types, unless they were testing the market and decided not proceed with the others.

UnGlu'd was the popup shop I think you're talking about, and if so, you could be confusing Bru with 9 White Deer,. 9WD have 5 bottles, and 2 on draught now that are GF, and I know they were in doing tastings there. I never heard of Brú doing any, and I follow Brú, UnGlu'd, and 9WD on their various social media accounts.

Advertisement