Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with Jeremy Clarkson

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I see that once again it'll be 15 questions to the million... but there will also be "a number of new twists and turns".

Are they going to play around with the lifelines - or keep the clock from the final years of the original run? And will the whole thing be live or recorded?

It'll be filmed in Manchester, and I expect the contestants will be selected via auditions, again as per the final years of the original run. David Edwards, the second jackpot winner, believes that making people audition for the show instead of simply phoning in was a big mistake:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-26031980/auditions-blamed-for-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think Clarkson could be an inspired choice. If he has some leaway to make crack a joke (at the questions, at the contestant's answers, at the phone a friend, at the ask the audience results etc) it could be much more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

David Edwards, the second jackpot winner

Edwards was a breath of fresh air in a way. There was a bit of controversy about Keppel and Brydges' winnings given their privileged backgrounds (the two other early winners - aside from the major's "win"* :D ) and the notion it wasn't really in the spirit of the show having already wealthy people winning. Maybe that's a reason for the audition process as opposed to the "phone in"?

* Poor old Ingram will never live that down, as we can still see in every news outlet reporting the show's return :D. An audacious plan that came a cropper but was there really a need for such a circus around it and a trial FFS? At least the judge saw common sense and suspended their sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Be careful you've got the right person. "Major" Charles Ingram is the cheating winner.
    Ingram Wilcox was the last genuine millionaire from the programme.
    Millionaire I believe is still one of the widest shared game show formats ever. I reckon you'd struggle to find a television set anywhere in the world that hasn't had that theme tune blare out it some time in the late 90s through the 00s.
    The key problem now is the suspense is hard to keep up. These days Alexa, Cortana or Siri would have the answer before the options are read out. Everyone will know if an answer was right or wrong before the ad break was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cancel the popcorn folks, Huffington Post says it's just going to be 'a week of celebratory episodes' .....

Siobhan Greene, Head of Entertainment, ITV added: “It felt like a no brainer to celebrate a show that was a trailblazer of its time and broke the mould. In doing this one off special week, I hope Millionaire will be introduced to a whole new generation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-jeremy-clarkson-20th-anniversary_uk_5aa22fe2e4b07047bec4fa19?utm_hp_ref=uk-entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, it was mentioned in the RT article posted yesterday too.

Maybe they might run a full series later down the line, if the weeklong is a success? Maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

coylemj wrote: »
    Cancel the popcorn folks, Huffington Post says it's just going to be 'a week of celebratory episodes' .....

Siobhan Greene, Head of Entertainment, ITV added: “It felt like a no brainer to celebrate a show that was a trailblazer of its time and broke the mould. In doing this one off special week, I hope Millionaire will be introduced to a whole new generation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-jeremy-clarkson-20th-anniversary_uk_5aa22fe2e4b07047bec4fa19?utm_hp_ref=uk-entertainment

That would be the usual way of doing a revival like this, if they announced a multi-series deal and then backtracked after the first run it would be slated as a failure. This way they have the option open for more if the numbers are there or to just let it fade away if not.

Same thing Channel 4 did with the Crystal Maze revival, a one-off to test the water then a decision on making a full series after the one-off was well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds/stinks of the auld cautious "we always intended on cancelling" trick.

If it does pull in good figures they can say "due to popular demand we are having more!". If not they can say it was never intended to be more than a few episodes.

The thing that annoys me is that you know the presenter is on average getting more money per episode than the winners per episode, yet still has to make out like its an extraordinary "life changing" amount of money they just got.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Get the Stig to present it.

jr86 wrote: »
    I used to always assume they were put up in a hotel or something, until the Charles Ingram scandal where it was revealed they finalised the plan to cheat in the car on the way home back to Wiltshire after the first episode he was on

Those who completed their games, or didn't make it into the hot seat, were put up at the Brent Cross Holiday Inn, around eight miles south of Elstree Studios:

http://home.philreynolds.org.uk/games/million4.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

If it did get popular again (can't see it ever coming close to its heyday though) it'd be interesting to see it in the Social Media era

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The trailer is now up. The set from it looks very nice. It's more like the current U.S. version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully James May will be a guest, could be amusing. And Piers Morgan of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I can't imagine Clarkson as anything else but Top Gear but i will give this a peep just to see how he gets on as host of this revived classic.Obviously I'm not expecting him to completely fill Chris Tarrants shoes no one can he made the show what it was but Clarkson in his own way could well make this show his own only time will tell if its hit or miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It just won't be the same unless he repeats the first thing the 'phone a friend' says when answering the phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's hard to believe Chris is 71 now and when it first aired he was 51!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It just won't be the same unless he repeats the first thing the 'phone a friend' says when answering the phone...

he was an awfully irritating cnut alright, as you confirmed -cringeworthy stuff. The more I think about it and see clips like that I think clarkson could probably match him on the "prize cnut you love/tolerate to hate".

I would rather see a younger active comic do it though.

rubadub wrote: »
    he was an awfully irritating cnut alright, as you confirmed -cringeworthy stuff.

You'll have probably found his reactions to the end-of-show klaxon just as cringeworthy, then... :D;)

Starts tomorrow night at 9:15pm.

And the "new twists and turns" are... there's a new Ask The Host lifeline, and the contestant can decide what his/her second safe haven will be (it can be anywhere between £2,000 and £500,000).

Also of note is that each contestant is only allowed two phone-a-friends, and a security team will be sent to each phone-a-friend's house (to stop them Googling, I expect).

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/who-wants-be-millionaire-returns-itv-saturday-brand-new-twists

I know it's the S*n - and I still don't think I'll watch the show proper - but here's a preview of sorts:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6206281/jeremy-clarkson-talks-millionaire-host-pressures/

They’re taking no chances by having it for one week only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Security teams at the houses is a new thing? That can't be true, it was perfectly possible to Google back in the day aswell, even on dialup you'd have the answer pretty much instantly. I always assumed there were people in the Phone a Friend houses but now that I think of it how would they know who was going to be selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What is your first impressions on this so far? Do you think it's going well?

Ricky is doing ok I think. I hope that he doesn't struggle too much with the questions later on in the show. It would be great for him to get very far in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm a bit behind.

It's all a bit..... slow. Chris Tarrant kept up a smarter pace.

But so far Clarkson doing an alright job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm a bit behind.

It's slow alright..... Very dragged out.

This lad won't be breaking the bank......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Awww jaysus, he just can't resist granstanding and soliloquying (cricket question)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have the laptop on my lap...and to answer that I didn't even look down. I typed the words out on an imaginary keyboard to get salad and totally forgot I could use an actual keyboard. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'm a bit behind.

It is very slow going the add break one question and another add break.

But Clarkson is doing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I have the laptop on my lap...and to answer that I didn't even look down. I typed the words out on an imaginary keyboard to get salad and totally forgot I could use an actual keyboard. :pac::pac:

that was a very easy question to anyone that types on regular bases.I didnt know the second question tho never heard that before and I guessed intestines.

Clarkson doing ok,hopefully he makes it his own,was funny enough when he said he didnt care about the security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm a bit behind.

Only slow due to a slow thick Yorkshireman, the one answering questions.

Advertisement