Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I don't really agree with the merit list. The AC is a fairly crap process. I guess they are doing the best they can. Really it only says "This person is ready to be trained as a constable" or "this person is not yet ready to be trained as a constable". As a means for determining the rough order of admission to Garnerville I guess it is legitimate, but to cut people off eventually, even if they have passed, in favour of a new batch of potential recruits who get a higher mark the next time round... that takes a lot of faith in the AC. The difference between an 80 and a 50 could be nothing more than expensive AC classes or a helping hand from a serving constable, or even just nerves.
    None of us are even close to being ready to exercise the powers of a constable no matter our AC score.

I kinda agree and disagree. I agree people who pass shouldn't be cut. But it's due to numbers and length of time recruitment takes. If all it took was an AC training class then the people willing to attend them and then pass deserve/want it more because they are willing to put in that effort.

I think it would be alot better run like the mainland forces esp police Scotland who run courses nearly monthly.
    You're right about it being "this person is ready to be trained" but that's the way it has to be because none of us have experience with the actual job so they can't hire on experience alone. They work of the core principles of what they want their people to be like.

Well done on passing and welcome to the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Rookie23 wrote: »
    I don't really agree with the merit list. The AC is a fairly crap process. I guess they are doing the best they can. Really it only says "This person is ready to be trained as a constable" or "this person is not yet ready to be trained as a constable". As a means for determining the rough order of admission to Garnerville I guess it is legitimate, but to cut people off eventually, even if they have passed, in favour of a new batch of potential recruits who get a higher mark the next time round... that takes a lot of faith in the AC. The difference between an 80 and a 50 could be nothing more than expensive AC classes or a helping hand from a serving constable, or even just nerves.
    None of us are even close to being ready to exercise the powers of a constable no matter our AC score.

You just said it all, couldn't agree more!!

I agree, it doesn't take much to increase your score dramatically. I already a serving officer and so perhaps my role plays came across a little less enthusiastic. Could of died of cringe during them.

Taking a witness statement from a screaming drunken banshee with ahead injury hurling abuse at you would be closer to realistic :D

Well just got my result and unfortunately it wasn’t good news. Absolutely gutted as I want this so bad, but what will be will be. What makes it worse is that I got an A and A* but the final role play and report is what let me down.Delighted to see that a good amount of boardies have passed. Hopefully when I return to the boards for the next campaign I’ll find you lot are in GV or already out on the ground. All the best.

Sorry to hear that. Don't let it Put you off and keep going for it. Was my 3rd attempt before I passed my AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

Well just got my result and unfortunately it wasn’t good news.
    Are you the serving officer from the mainland? Perhaps your training and experience led to a weird result at the AC. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you approached the scenario in a way that made sense to you, and in reality would be sound, but which may not meet the AC criteria. Unlucky, but on the bright side this will hopefully only delay you by a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Well just got my result and unfortunately it wasn’t good news. Absolutely gutted as I want this so bad, but what will be will be. What makes it worse is that I got an A and A* but the final role play and report is what let me down.Delighted to see that a good amount of boardies have passed. Hopefully when I return to the boards for the next campaign I’ll find you lot are in GV or already out on the ground. All the best.

Gutted for you blue, just on my last comment, it doesn't take much to increase your score and you got some high grades in there so don't take it too close to heart. You're no doubt more than competent for this job, just needed a wee bit extra in one or two bits.

Get the application back in mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Thanks mate, absolutely gutted but not going to let this defeat me. Not even in my 20’s yet so still plenty of years to get in. Going to take a wee break from the boards folks, enjoy you’re summer, work hard and no doubt you guys will be in GV in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Njim91

Hi guys. For those that got emails well done. For those that didn't, keep those chins up and look to the next campaign. What pass grade would generally get through the merit list would one say? Speculation I know but just out of interest. How many people are generally left after assessment scores are given? I know it's speculation again but just curious as to how optimistic I should be about making a merit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

74.5% and surprisingly got 12.75 in my report writing. Still waiting on someone saying it’s a wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Faugha wrote: »
    74.5% and surprisingly got 12.75 in my report writing. Still waiting on someone saying it’s a wind up
    Ant and deck are about to pop out and surprise you lol
    Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Anyone who didn’t get it, don’t worry only in a few months you get another go. Which I think is great. Smash that IST again, and get some coaching or learning material and you will smash the AC. In my opinion I bought a Dvd at £10 and I passed and did alright, in fact the IST harder than the AC I think. Get them heads up get ready to go again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

All the advice and info I needed to pass the AC I got on this forum and youtube. Study the core competencies and demonstrate them during the assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bananarama1512

So pleased for us all well done everyone and don’t give up to anyone who didn’t make it this time

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Hi Folks, having been absolutely certain I had failed and even took an immediate holiday to France to get over it because I was so annoyed that I had failed the AC that bad, turns out I got just below the 60 mark. So quite happy and surprised for a first time. Congrats to all who passed and to those who didn't, next time will be your time. I did excellent in all the role plays, really good marks but action plans and report writing were bloody awful haha. Nerves and forgetting to do an action plan for the first role play were the downfall!!
    I have no idea if I will progress on, I imagine if I did then it would be a good few months before I hear anything. Anyone who can give me some hope that those in my merit category have a good chance to be called would help me sleep for the next few nights. Going to keep up with my fitness training just in-case. What a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ash1008

Mike079 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, having been absolutely certain I had failed and even took an immediate holiday to France to get over it because I was so annoyed that I had failed the AC that bad, turns out I got just below the 60 mark. So quite happy and surprised for a first time. Congrats to all who passed and to those who didn't, next time will be your time. I did excellent in all the role plays, really good marks but action plans and report writing were bloody awful haha. Nerves and forgetting to do an action plan for the first role play were the downfall!!
    I have no idea if I will progress on, I imagine if I did then it would be a good few months before I hear anything. Anyone who can give me some hope that those in my merit category have a good chance to be called would help me sleep for the next few nights. Going to keep up with my fitness training just in-case. What a day.

What do you mean just in case? From what I understand, a pass is a pass and the only difference that our scores will make is when we're called into the PCA. That's what others here have said.

Otherwise aren't we now on equal footing with the rest of the candidates who passed?

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Not entirely correct, the PSNI produce a merit list and you enter GV based on your score. In previous years when funding was cut etc the people with lower scores were cut from the process. Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ash1008

Faugha wrote: »
    Not entirely correct, the PSNI produce a merit list and you enter GV based on your score. In previous years when funding was cut etc the people with lower scores were cut from the process. Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen.

I've actually had that happen before back in 2011, but it was so long ago I had forgotten. Thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

I had heard also before when there was more frequent campaigns if someone from the next campaign scored higher they would go ahead of others on the list that scored lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Read the recruitment news bit guys....

Merit list has not been handed over to the PSNI

Maybe I am mistaken, I was not a big watcher of the boards in general. I assumed that it was by scores that we got called to the PCA or entering GV in order of our score groups?

If not, then excuse my ignorance man.

Maybe I am mistaken, I was not a big watcher of the boards in general. I assumed that it was by scores that we got called to the PCA or entering GV in order of our score groups?

You're right everything from here on goes in order of your score.
    What some people are worried about is that if they are a lower score the next campaign may be ready before these individuals have entered GV or funding may be cut and they lose their place.

• Advertisement

Recruitment News
    2017 Recruitment Update:

Results from the assessment centre for the role of police constable have now been issued to all candidates who attended over the past few months.

Congratulations to all of you who are now progressing to the PSNI managed stages of the recruitment process.

Please note: as a small number of candidates are still within deadline to provide educational certificates, it will be a few weeks before the merit list is handed over to PSNI, so they will not be contacting you immediately. We will post an update in recruitment news to let you know when details of the successful candidates have been passed to PSNI. In the meantime, if you have any queries, please contact us on info@joinpsni.co.uk.

Don’t be too disheartened if you were not successful at the assessment centre on this occasion. Consider that you have done very well to progress this far, something that thousands of other applicants did not achieve. We would encourage you to build on your experience at the recent assessment centre and apply again when we next recruit.

Currently we anticipate that this will be in Autumn 2018 and we would welcome a fresh application from you. Keep in touch with www.joinpsni.co.uk regularly for updates on future recruitment, or, should you wish to opt in to our mailing list for applicants interested in future recruitment, email us atinfo@joinpsni.co.uk with your preferred email address and we will contact you again when future recruitment opens.

NiK9 wrote: »

What some people are worried about is that if they are a lower score the next campaign may be ready before these individuals have entered GV or funding may be cut and they lose their place.
    Thanks man. Thought is was along those lines. Whilst my score isn't the highest, I am hopeful of getting an email of some sort to get moving at some point. Would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Hey guys, I've been busy this last while so haven't had a chance to check in with you boardies. Congrats to everyone who passed the AC - it was def harder than the previous campaign and for those who didn't just remember you got some good prep and experience in for the next campaign which could come as soon as the autumn.

67 here. Could have done better, could have done worse. PCA and Medical still to go.

NiK9 wrote: »

Thanks man. Thought is was along those lines. Whilst my score isn't the highest, I am hopeful of getting an email of some sort to get moving at some point. Would be fantastic.

It may take a while for some people to get the initial email to move forward to PCA. But we have all seen how quickly the process has been able to move for those who have been fast tracked.

Under 7 weeks from my fast track email to have PCA familiarisation, PCA, Vetting, Online learning and Medical all complete.
    You will all get there, everyone just keep working on your fitness so nothing can hold you back :D

Anyone that passed AC today. . . Will you apply again in autum 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Starsky1

Is there anyone that got low 50s and still feeling hopeful?

Nap702 wrote: »
    Yes I will be

Starsky1 wrote: »
    Nap702 wrote: »
    Yes I will be

I think i will too, I would love another go at AC now that I know what it entails

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

I made the pass mark and no more..so I'm at the bottom of the pile basically...I've no idea what to expect really... just hoping they don't run out of funding and I get cut.. don't really want to have to go through it all again. Hopefully we all make it low and high scores. They seem to be running out of officers so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

I made the pass mark and no more..so I'm at the bottom of the pile basically...I've no idea what to expect really... just hoping they don't run out of funding and I get cut.. don't really want to have to go through it all again. Hopefully we all make it low and high scores. They seem to be running out of officers so fingers crossed
    I'm the same, I really don't want to have to go through the whole process again but I will to get in. Another long wait is ahead then

Advertisement