Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate installed indoor camera in communal room

Options
  • 02-05-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

A long term tenant in our houseshare installed a indoor camera capable of recording both video and audio, and I think has rotational capability. He said he installed it in the living room to 'watch his dog' which has free roam of the communal spaces when he's gone to work.

The other tenents and I in the house rightfully opposed this and demanded him to take it down due to privacy issues. When we unplugged it on a few occasions and confronted him, he got very aggressive about it and keeps plugging it in.

The tenent spends all his time in his room smoking Cannabis(stinks up the house) when he's at home and does not interact with the rest of us, the other tenents and I regularly use the living room for watching TV and playing console games together during our free time.

I am concerned he will do something to my car like key it because he's the type of guy who would do it, if I bin his camera altogether.

Can anybody please advise how to deal with this difficult tenent and matter?

Edit: can a mod please correct the title to living room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Could you have a word with the landlord about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

GTF out! Sounds like a nutter, I can't imagine any grounds why you are even considering staying in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

AmberGold wrote: »
    GTF out! Sounds like a nutter, I can't imagine any grounds why you are even considering staying in this house.

For some people it's either put up with sh*t like this or be homeless.

Call to your landlord should solve this, he has no right to install something like this in a house, if all else fails take a baseball bat to it. (the camera, not your house mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Would a few of you not take him aside and "have a little word with him" in the Godfather / Soprano's sense? Sounds like the weed has given him a bit of a God complex that needs to be shaken out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

How would he know who threw it out to retaliate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Remove it and deny any knowledge it ever existed.
    If you all do it this stoner may think he just dreamed it.

Seriously though, I'd be getting him out asap.
    Contact your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Contact the landlord immediately. He won’t want a drug addict as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Contact the landlord immediately. He won’t want a drug addict as a tenant.

Cool the Jets he's smoking some pot not crack and he also works.

Camera needs to go, maybe outside with the dog while he's at work. They just need to sit him down like someone said soprano style and tell him how it's going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

And does the landlord know about the dog?
    Tbh it is highly unlikely that the landlord has given him permission to have a dog in the house.

I'd be more of the opinion that this is an issue between the housemates and really doesn't invlove the landlord so I'd not bother him unless it cannot be sorted between ye.

I would favour the approach of ye all piling the pressure on him to get rid of it. Basically, make life so difficult for him that he will relent and give up the camera, or else take his camera and leave the house for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Cool the Jets he's smoking some pot not crack and he also works.

Camera needs to go, maybe outside with the dog while he's at work. They just need to sit him down like someone said soprano style and tell him how it's going to work.

If he’s smoking weed every day then he’s a drug addict. The dude probably cannot function without it. No landlord would want some stoner stinking the place up either.

Contact the landlord, OP. Explain everything and proceed from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Gravelly wrote: »
    Would a few of you not take him aside and "have a little word with him" in the Godfather / Soprano's sense? Sounds like the weed has given him a bit of a God complex that needs to be shaken out.

Yeah, resorting to violence is always the best option :rolleyes:

ArthurG wrote: »
    Yeah, resorting to violence is always the best option :rolleyes:

It's ok snowflake, I didn't necessarily mean he should be killed and encased in concrete, just a stern, perhaps slightly menacing talking to should be enough. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just out of curiosity what can the LL do if the tenant just refuses to comply with anything, be it the dog or the camera?

I suppose he could be evicted for not meeting his responsibilities, but would the statutory notice have to be given?

It would be very difficult for the landlord to get rid of him and not be open to litigation.

In that situation the best way is for the other tenants to make life intolerable for the offending housemate to the point that he chooses to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are you all on one lease or separate leases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Speak to the LL OP, explain he is smoking weed n the house all the time, the dog is roaming free and he has installed a camera against all other housemates wishes. Plenty there to sort him out tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I would call the landlord immediately. Legally speaking, that's a major invasion of privacy and is utterly unreasonable.

Also might be worth seeking advice (other tenants and the landlord) from the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Checked the bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Checked the bathroom?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Is it a wifi security camera, if so then just block the cameras ip address from your router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

If he won't listen to reason you need to contact the landlord. The problem is it could take a long time for the landlord to get him. I don't think any landlord would approve of his behaviour.

You could also contact the Garda, smoking dope is still illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Put up a photo in front of the camera while he's out. Photoshop in pictures of his dog in compromising positions with the cat.

Did it ever occur to you that you may have accidentally stumbled across the fact that your entire life might be fake?

e6245a25a5f4dfbf5804716f3e2e379b908494ae.jpg?mw=600

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Put a cover over the camera and leave it there. if he tries to move it then tell him it's not touching the camera and that you've no intention of sitting there while he looks at you.

Mid to long term just look for another place to stay. Tell the LL that he's always stoned, that you're worried about him setting the place on fire and that the dog won't stop barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A long term tenant in our houseshare installed a indoor camera capable of recording both video and audio, and I think has rotational capability. He said he installed it in the living room to 'watch his dog' which has free roam of the communal spaces when he's gone to work.

The other tenents and I in the house rightfully opposed this and demanded him to take it down due to privacy issues. When we unplugged it on a few occasions and confronted him, he got very aggressive about it and keeps plugging it in.

The tenent spends all his time in his room smoking Cannabis(stinks up the house) when he's at home and does not interact with the rest of us, the other tenents and I regularly use the living room for watching TV and playing console games together during our free time.

I am concerned he will do something to my car like key it because he's the type of guy who would do it, if I bin his camera altogether.

Can anybody please advise how to deal with this difficult tenent and matter?

Edit: can a mod please correct the title to living room

so two things

rip the camera out

and f$ck the dog out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What about a compromise of just having the camera on when there's no one in the house?
    So last tenant out turns it on, first tenant in turns it off?

Because then he will know when people are coming and going from the house.

It's totally unreasonable. Plus he's a drug addict (I make no distinctions between users of weed, coke, heroin or brown-brown) and if I had a drug addict in a house I was sharing they'd be going out through the door head first!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

Effects wrote: »
    What about a compromise of just having the camera on when there's no one in the house?
    So last tenant out turns it on, first tenant in turns it off?

Do you really think that's an acceptable compromise?
    The other tenants should be responsible for ensuring the camera is switched on or off?

Do you mind if I come around your gaff and install a few cameras around, it's ok you can switch them off when you're home?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lawred2 wrote: »
    and f$ck the dog out the back

It's hardly the dog's fault, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's hardly the dog's fault, in fairness.

didn't say it was but I fail to see why tenants should have to share their paid for space with some stoner's dog

Advertisement