Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Anyone else think this is a really poor year for songs?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Beersmith wrote: »
    Anyone else think this is a really poor year for songs?

It's not a standout year for sure, no one song obviously better than the rest imo. Israel are the heavy favourites but I'm not feeling it. This feels like a year where staging will matter more than others. Just over two weeks until the semi's start and I've no idea who'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ryan O'Shaughnessy will be joined by the two dancers from the video on stage in Lisbon along with three female backing singers. He has a pic up on Instagram of them all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I actually think Ireland's song this year is one of our best in a while

We've had some truly awful ones the last 3 or 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NDWC wrote: »

Yep it is ok for me (not great - even though he has a great voice) but its in a really tough semi I would be really shocked if we qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

gmisk wrote: »
    Yep it is ok for me (not great - even though he has a great voice) but its in a really tough semi I would be really shocked if we qualify

The semi is tough for everyone. Some of the certs that fans think will coast through to the final might not be certs at all. I could see a few shock NQs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

NDWC wrote: »

I agree. Ryan also seems to have a great personality. I hope he gets a chance to expose it in Lisbon:

Here he is at the London Eurovision Party.

If we fail to qualify this year I think we should play the Swedish card next year, like we almost did in 2015. :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Amik wrote: »
    I agree. Ryan also seems to have a great personality. I hope he gets a chance to expose it in Lisbon:

Here he is at the London Eurovision Party.

If we fail to qualify this year I think we should play the Swedish card next year, like we almost did in 2015. :D

I'm still bitter we didn't send Erika when she clearly had the best song. Iirc correctly Linda Martin made some nonsensical comments about having a Swedish person representing Ireland, no doubt that had some bit of influence.

I'm still bitter we didn't send Erika when she clearly had the best song. Iirc correctly Linda Martin made some nonsensical comments about having a Swedish person representing Ireland, no doubt that had some bit of influence.

original?width=500&version=1339294

+1 I was cheering for Erika to win, too.

Would be great if we Boardies could help her make a return in 2019 but she seems to have disappeared from the music scene:

https://www.facebook.com/erikaselinmusic/

I loved that Erika Selin song...but on the night I thought Molly Sterling was far better....I honestly think that playing with numbers was the best song we have sent for a long time.

• Advertisement

English version of the Spanish entry. Very nice, sweet lyrics that put Azerbaijan's "Misty moon I'm your loon" to shame. :P

I hope this is just for promotion and they're keeping the Spanish version.

Not sure if Ryan's Late Late performance was ever posted on the thread. He can sell the song live very well, plus with the draw we've got something of a shot at qualifying. It's interesting that the dancers from the video will also be on stage, if they could recreate the video they might be on to something, who knows.

Rehearsal's begin tomorrow! Who are your favourites before it all begins? Macedonia, Estonia and France are my top three, with France being my number one. France are creeping up the odds, now sixth favourite overall. Can't see them winning at all though.

Estonia have faded in the odds somewhat, I hope they do well. At one point it was looking likely they wouldn't be able to emulate the national final staging but were saved via a last minute sponsorship deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure if Ryan's Late Late performance was ever posted on the thread. He can sell the song live very well, plus with the draw we've got something of a shot at qualifying. It's interesting that the dancers from the video will also be on stage, if they could recreate the video they might be on to something, who knows.

That's probably the best version to date, with the decent gospel-esq backing vocs picked up for the 1st time. The early part of the bridge could loose a few empty bars.

Again not a bad song, not a bad singer, but the wrong approach, wrong song and wrong competition.

Underrated: FYR Maca' / Romania & Slovenia's pole dancing club song
    Overrated: Uk / Ire & Estonia (never liked this, even when 2F)

With the GrandFinal exactly 2wks away,
    the organisers have issued their list of banned items from the competition this year, golf balls feature highly.
    So remember any chaps to check your pockets for balls on the way in this year if you've had a few rounds.

_101040633_0e2c7104d850a842f410a52944de52ab.png

Because we here in the thread can't get enough of Eye Cue, here's their Spanish Pre-party performance (very nicely shot for a change)!

Marija has legs from here to Skopje! ;)

Fun little tool I discovered this week:

https://www.overthinkingit.com/eve/

I analyzed 2013 to 2017 and (if I'm reading this correctly) it looks like only three countries that traditionally vote for FYR Macedonia are in Semi Final 1 (Croatia, Albania, Bulgaria).

Same situation for Ireland (3) unless the UK or Italy vote in our semi.

2e4kodv.png

Because we here in the thread can't get enough of Eye Cue, here's their Spanish Pre-party performance (very nicely shot for a change)!

Marija has legs from here to Skopje! ;)

Decent performance there, loverley Marija & Eye Cue's top (200/1) tune could well be singular reason for upcoming EU & Nato membership on their table.

4/5 layers of backing vocs on the 2nd Chorus, finger clicking, muted guitar delay (from the TemperTrap), and even a splash of reggae!

Although FYR have only made it to double-digits in recent semi-finals, something suggests that maybe Bojan Trajkovski has written tunes before.

P2jwc9z.png

That ESC chart thingy aptly from 'overthinkingit'.com makes my Euromillion ball prediction charts look like an MS-Paint job.

Here's Lea at the Spanish pre-party -- cracker of a performance!

Chorus is a bit awkward without supporting dancers but this girl has great stage presence. According to the Overthinking It tool Slovenia has a lot of voting friends in Semi Final 2, too.

If they can recreate the performance from the national final, especially the picture frame/mirror bit, this should sneak into the final.

Slightly tweaked way of compiling the jury votes this year, don't think it'll make too much of a difference overall.

Day 1 of Rehearsals has arrived!

Here's Israel's Netta. A little too much focus on the chicken part of her song? This could be going back to the drawing board this week...

Belgium's Sennek was very classy. I like this one. Looks like she'll make full use of the stage.

• Advertisement

Think I'm gonna avoid the rehearsals if I can. I'd like to leave some bit of mystery for the finals!

France are now up to 2nd favourite to win. As much as I'd love it to, I can't see it happening. Amir only got 9th in the televote with a superior song.

Think I'm gonna avoid the rehearsals if I can. I'd like to leave some bit of mystery for the finals!

But you'll miss all the excitement like....Czech Republic badly injuring himself!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiKmTzNnUkU/

He does a nice little trick with his backpack towards the end of the video. Maybe the 2nd attempt didn't go too well. Hope he gets well!

Edit: Actually in the thumbnail for the video you can see him doing a flip. Maybe it was that!

Poor Mikolas, very unfortunate. Hope he recovers in time but it might be safer for him to just sing and let his dancers handle the choreography among themselves.

Saw a couple of the clips, wasn't impressed with the approach Israel has taken. (spoilered for yerwanthere! :p )
    The Japanese outfit and oriental "lucky cats" just seems very random; it has no relation to the song and just seems kinda tacky. I hate how overused the term "cultural appropriation" is, but it is kinda appropriate here when you're just taking an unrelated Japanese theme to try and be "quirky" or whatever!

The Japanese outfit and oriental "lucky cats" just seems very random; it has no relation to the song and just seems kinda tacky. I hate how overused the term "cultural appropriation" is, but it is kinda appropriate here when you're just taking an unrelated Japanese theme to try and be "quirky" or whatever!

Apparently she's referencing the Jap cat (Pikachu) thing to her own 'lady cat'

2nd Verse:
    'I’m taking my Pikachu home'

The Chicken theme is deployed almost as a battle rap probably against a previous cowardly action from a chap, female empowerment and all that jazz.

Further spitting of lyrics such as
    Kulului, Kulului, Ah, money man bling-bling
    I don’t care about your ‘stefa’, [cash, money] baby
    Pam pam pa hoo, Turram pam pa hoo

Likely further reinforce that she ain't nobody's 'toy' and can't be bought.
    Deep.

*spills coffee all over his keyboard at work*

And they're only giving 60% as it's rehearsals. :D

Cyprus have jumped from mid-market 70/1 to about 6th place with a couple of bookies 12/1, that puts them nearly on par with Estonia.

Decided I'm following the rehearsals but not actually going to watch the clips. Having done so in the past, when I actually watch the show itself it feels like watching an episode of a tv programme I've already seen.

Anyway, biggest development from today is Norway went up to second favourite, but have dipped slightly to third now. I think it'll get top 5 but I can't see it seriously challenging for the win. Israel's first rehearsal didn't go that well, they're still the favourites although odds have lengthened. Very eager to see how the market will react to France's first rehearsal, which we won't see until Friday.

Anyway, biggest development from today is Norway went up to second favourite, but have dipped slightly to third now. I think it'll get top 5 but I can't see it seriously challenging for the win. Israel's first rehearsal didn't go that well, they're still the favourites although odds have lengthened. Very eager to see how the market will react to France's first rehearsal, which we won't see until Friday.

Rybak is pure showman and fans love him. A win is very possible, even with this so-so song. The press conference seemed packed!

I finally placed a small E/W outright bet on FYR Macedonia. Got 300/1! :)

giphy.gif

Plan to do a few Semi Final qualifying bets tomorrow.

Rybak is pure showman and fans love him. A win is very possible, even with this so-so song. The press conference seemed packed!

I finally placed a small E/W outright bet on FYR Macedonia. Got 300/1! :)

giphy.gif

Plan to do a few Semi Final qualifying bets tomorrow.
    I got Macedonia at 20-1 for top 10 sure we will see... In very tough semi but who knows.

I can see why Cyprus song is flying up the odds it is very catchy and stands out.

The Norway song I just don't get at all.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I got Macedonia at 20-1 for top 10 sure we will see... In very tough semi but who knows.

I can see why Cyprus song is flying up the odds it is very catchy and stands out

Cyprus's rehearsal was a big surprise. Our poor Ryan has to run off stage immediately after his performance to avoid getting burned by Eleni's fire. :D
    Her song is a bit too contemporary for me though.

Zero chatter about Australia here. What does everyone think of their odds? Her song is a bit too Disney-ish for me.

Also realized Italy has been completely quiet. No pre-party appearances even?

Advertisement