Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did people get so stupid?

• 01-05-2018 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Its getting bader all the time. They are paying cash money now for medals for training miles done in a month. One lady wants to include miles walked in the course of her working day. All the while sneering at me for my admittedly terrible spelling and. Punctuation.
    This angers me. The main source of frustration is that I didnt think of it first. Lets all put our heads together and think of the next trrend that nobody in their right mind would pay money for then think of a price tag and multiply it by 5. This time next uear we'll be millionaires or at least Il be able to tax the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

Are you drinking Ultrapercy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fitbit medals, genius!

Send us an email saying that, according to your fitbit, you have walked a thousand steps a day for a week*, and we'll send you a medal!

*and fifty euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Each to their own and who gives a f**k. When did runners get so judgmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I've seen this on FB...
    Apparently a word doc with your logged miles is proof enough... (yes, I was reading comments!)

I had a strange mixture of laughter and anger come over me....

It's like an idea you'd come up with in a pub. So ludicrous, it just might take off ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

To answer the thread title, a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Personally, I've always been this stupid. But I'm working on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

I've seen this one alright - feels a bit bonkers to me but then, who am I to judge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Its getting bader all the time.

It really is getting more worser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Its getting bader all the time. They are paying cash money now for medals for training miles done in a month. One lady wants to include miles walked in the course of her working day. All the while sneering at me for my admittedly terrible spelling and. Punctuation.
    This angers me. The main source of frustration is that I didnt think of it first. Lets all put our heads together and think of the next trrend that nobody in their right mind would pay money for then think of a price tag and multiply it by 5. This time next uear we'll be millionaires or at least Il be able to tax the car.

lol, love a good funny rant.

On the issue though, meh, leave them at it. No harm. If anything it's getting the idea of fitness into people's heads.

It's when they start selling medals for sitting on your arse that will be a problem.

Love the 'and. Punctuation.' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Ironically i think it coincides with wider access to information via internet and the rise in people attending college which should see a rise in critical thinking.

Why get a coach when you can get a piece of paper to tell you what to do in black and white?

Even many coaches read the books and articles to develop a formula that works based on science.

The most successful coaches, races etc nowadays are the ones that shout the loudest because people are too lazy to invest and more thought beyond what they are told in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

4Ad wrote: »
    Are you drinking Ultrapercy ?

No but thanks thats a fantastic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Alot of this has to do with the following:
      People have more money than sense
      Millennials need alot more encouragement and need someone to tell them they are great.
      People that do nothing like to boast they did something, blame facebook for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Millennials need alot more encouragement and need someone to tell them they are great.
      People that do nothing like to boast they did something, blame facebook for this.

Dunno if you can blame mellennial attitude given general running demographic

Some questions.
    1.Having more money appeals to me.Where can I exchange some of my sense for money? Are there Cash for Sense shops.
    2. Whats a Millenial? Sounds like some sort of plant Gerry Daly would have been fond of back in the day eg. Hardy millenial also known as 'stupidous cuntus' to give it its latin name.
    3. Facebook is just a tool. Whats the collective term for a group of tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

Especially at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I do something similar..

Every time I do a long cycle of over say 50 km I put 20 quid in jar, runs of 10km I put 25 quid in jar.

I then award myself with top end gear as a reward , I sometimes tie shoe laces of some asics together , put around my neck and run out of shop pumping my arms in air ...you just need to make sure you pay for them first in case a big sweaty man wrestles you to the ground and sits on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

What are ye on about? I'm too stupid to figure it out

I do something similar..

Every time I do a long cycle of over say 50 km I put 20 quid in jar, runs of 10km I put 25 quid in jar.

I then award myself with top end gear as a reward , I sometimes tie shoe laces of some asics together , put around my neck and run out of shop pumping my arms in air ...you just need to make sure you pay for them first in case a big sweaty man wrestles you to the ground and sits on you.
    Thats not similar in fact its the exact opposite. What you do is sensible, wise even. Well the first psrt is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Opportunistic profit-seeking meets uncritical consumerism. (Exchange) value created where none existed before. That's the beauty of capitalism!

Plus all this medal manufacturing is putting rice on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I feel like you'll love this too: http://mentalfloss.com/article/542082/half-k-marathon-texas-lazy-runners

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Please, please, please tell me that's just great satire!
    For $50, VIPs can get the same swag the racers get, plus get the luxury of being shuttled the full 546 yards in a VW bus.
    Understandably, this year’s roster is already full, but since the event’s organizers know that most people interested in the event aren’t necessarily committed to running, you can still get a T-shirt, participation medal, and bumper sticker for $25—no racing involved—here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah it's a bit of craic and seems like it would be a fun event. They know what playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah it's a bit of craic and seems like it would be a fun event. They know what playing at.

If it were over here, I'd agree. In Texas? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ultrapercy wrote:
    Whats the collective term for a group of tools?

A shed?

As in "dem m'lenials are some shedful ah tools"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I love a good ultrapercy rant on Facebook. What Facebook page is this on? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If it were over here, I'd agree. In Texas? Not so much.

Ah Texas is not all straight laces Republican NRA card carrying seriousness, they have some great festivals and can take the piss out of themselves as good as any.
    MEET YOUR BOERNE 0.5K ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, VOL 3: Meet Kristy Watson, modern day Renaissance and Most Interesting Woman in the World. She's an artist (including an art teacher), musician, horse enthusiast, graphic artist, trivia champion, cartographer, bee keeper and owns a horseshoe manufacturing company..... All of that to say that instead of being really good at one thing, she's mediocre at a whole lot - and mediocrity is what we strive for at the Boerne 0.5k

The flyer for it shows that it's obviously meant to be a piss taking event
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1658559264222843/?active_tab=discussion
    28277312_10156367966610452_5754441222322167813_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a37ae10c9b65aa63ac97290774c005ac&oe=5B8D9050

Advertisement