Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco's "Windsor Castle London Dry Gin" - what's it like?

• 01-05-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Situation is as follows: Due to a combination of special offers and a spend & save voucher from this week's newspaper, I'm heading to Tesco to get some gin :D

Gordon's is on special at €23 per bottle. Essentially I'm debating between buying one bottle of Gordon's and two bottles of the Windsor Castle London Dry Gin, or just buying two bottles of Gordon's.

Normally I assume that Tesco own brand spirits are absolutely rank, but this is an interesting one because it's not the standard Everyday Value Gin, it's a different brand. So I'm just wondering if there's a possibility that this particular one is actually drinkable :D

Anyone have any experience with it?

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most cheap supermarket gins are made by one or two large German distilleries and are pretty decent. I can't actually remember if I've had that one.

Note that its an actual gin not a flavoured vodka like Cork Dry is. Aldi's knockoff bottling is now ripping Cork Dry but the product inside is much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The reviews online for the Tesco own brand "Nikita Imperial Vodka" are surprisingly good... it's only €13.50 for 700 mls... regularly see it sold out in my local Tesco.
    I'm tempted to try the Scots Club Whisky, also at €13.50, but haven't found the reviews online as reassuring.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

L1011 wrote: »
    Most cheap supermarket gins are made by one or two large German distilleries and are pretty decent. I can't actually remember if I've had that one.

Note that its an actual gin not a flavoured vodka like Cork Dry is. Aldi's knockoff bottling is now ripping Cork Dry but the product inside is much better!

Hang on a second, Cork Dry Gin isn't real gin?! Literally the first I've heard of this! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Why not just get a good bottle of gin? Blackwater Wexford strawberry gin is €31 and fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I am no Gin expert but I have tried the London Dry Gin and loved it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hang on a second, Cork Dry Gin isn't real gin?! Literally the first I've heard of this! :eek:
    In before thebeerrevolu! It is real gin, but it's made using an inferior method: just dunking the botanicals in the spirit and infusing it, like tea. The result is called "compound gin". Proper "distilled gin" is vapour infused: the botanicals hang in baskets above the spirit as it evaporates and infuse the vapour, which then condenses with them in it. Anything labelled "London Dry Gin" must be made this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    In before thebeerrevolu! It is real gin, but it's made using an inferior method: just dunking the botanicals in the spirit and infusing it, like tea. The result is called "compound gin". Proper "distilled gin" is vapour infused: the botanicals hang in baskets above the spirit as it evaporates and infuse the vapour, which then condenses with them in it. Anything labelled "London Dry Gin" must be made this way.

Not quite, Beernut!
    Compound gin is alcohol with (approved, natural) flavouring added. (Cork Dry Gin).
    You described an infused gin.
    London dry can be made as you described or the botanicsls can be in the liquid (all our gins are made this way).

It's not often I get to correct Beernut on matters of booze!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wow, in my incredible naivety I always assumed that gin was literally the result of fermented juniper berries being distilled to around 40% :D Thanks for the lesson folks, I'll be sure to check these things on the label whenever I'm buying budget gin in bulk in the future - as it happens, I went for one litre of Gordons, two 70cls of the Windsor stuff and a bunch of club tonic. Got all that for €40 with the spend & save voucher so happy (and indeed merry) days ;)

Interesting then to note that although the Windsor Castle is Tesco's cheapest own-brand offering, it's apparently subject to some fairly rigorous quality regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin

The Wikipedia page on gin is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The Tesco "finest" gin (London dry & Aromatic) is very good value at around €20-22. Both are a bit above the usual 40%ABV.

I haven't tried the Windsor gin but have had the Nikita vodka and found it very unpalatable unless you use a lot of mixer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement