Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipperary Town- what the he’ll happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It’s like everyone has given up in life. Half the townspeople were very nice and the other half were very rude. Everyone there is either overweight or gummy mouthed (even teenagers, Colgate dodgers) and stink of cannabis or alcohol. 50% of the shops on the main street are closed and derelict. I was last in this town in 2010 mid recession and it wasn’t this bad. Talk about recovery.

Unfortunately its one of these towns that hasn't got much going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I have the misfortune to live within a few miles of Tipp Town. It is a hole. It doesn't need a by pass, it needs a wrecking ball to flatten the place. It would definitely look better flattened.

Local shops still close on Weds afternoon for a half day.

The district court operates out of the Excel centre on Wedsnesday and brings even more scumbags to mingle with the local ones.

There is a mart in the town on Friday's and this brings out the utter muck savages who are filthy and smelly and abandon their agricultural vehicles anywhere they like.

Utter ****hole of a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I have the misfortune to live within a few miles of Tipp Town. It is a hole. It doesn't need a by pass, it needs a wrecking ball to flatten the place. It would definitely look better flattened.
    The district court operates out of the Excel centre on Wedsnesday and brings even more scumbags to mingle with the local ones.
    There is a mart in the town on Friday's and this brings out the utter muck savages who are filthy and smelly and abandon their agricultural vehicles anywhere they like.

Why do you go there?

Lots of small businesses have half days in similar towns
    Other towns have district courts
    Some towns have Marts

Not really that much different that any other town of its size in the country is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Built on Indian burial ground. There are a good few towns of a similar ilk around Ireland though. Longford, Birr, Thurles, Mullingar, most of the towns in Laois, a good bit of Tipperary, most towns bypassed by new motorways.
    Any town with Borris in it...

gozunda wrote: »
    Why do you go there?

Lots of small businesses have half days in similar towns
    Other towns have district courts
    Some towns have Marts

Not really that much different that any other town of its size in the country is it?

Never said it was different. Just pointing out what makes it a ****hole.

I pass through as fast as I can through the potholes to go to Tesco or Dunnes to go grocery shopping. Never deliberately go there to hangout/eat/drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

gifted wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, tipperary towns are like their people....ignorant and best left alone.

This is generally some yokel from a neighbouring county.

I quite like south tipp, Tipperary town excluded. Both Cahir and Clonmel are pretty decent compared to most inland towns. The castle and the comeraghs add to the charm. Far worse places in Ireland. Nice local area to travel around south tipp and mountainous north Waterford. I used to cycle down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I pass through as fast as I can through the potholes to go to Tesco or Dunnes to go grocery shopping. Never deliberately go there to hangout/eat/drink.

We've found ourselves one a them there snob here, fellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is it bleaker than Ballina?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s a kip but many a town in Ireland like it

• Advertisement

We've found ourselves one a them there snob here, fellers.

Gather the banjos and lets have ourselves a lynching

Gather the banjos and lets have ourselves a lynching

Why do you live there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Brazzils is a lovely restaurant, and seemingly prime 74 is nice as well even though I haven't been,for such a ****hole you still end up shopping there,if its as bad as you make out then why don't you shop somewhere else

In fairness to Tipp town, the surrounding countryside is scenic enough. Aherlow etc.

Laois or Offaly have to be up there as worse.

This thread smells like something off TheFreeKick

So the country is littered with similar ****holes? Nice....

Not surprised the small businesses are closing down. Doesn't really have a chance then does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

retalivity wrote: »
    Someone dig up that "biggest sh1tholes in ireland" thread - think tipperary town won by a mile
    If Ballinasloe didn't win then voting was rigged.

• Advertisement

Is it bleaker than Ballina?

Ah now to be fair Ballina is twinned with Craigavon! Craigavon - fcs rofl

Kilrush can be added in with Tipp town as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,503 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How do the Tipp Town townies get along with the Tipp Town culchies?

Not your ornery onager

Brazzils is a lovely restaurant, and seemingly prime 74 is nice as well even though I haven't been,for such a ****hole you still end up shopping there,if its as bad as you make out then why don't you shop somewhere else

Not a case of 'if' it's as bad as I make out. Not a question about how bad it is. There is a reason it tops the poll every single time for being the worst town in Ireland.

I do shop somewhere else??? Tesco and Dunnes are both outside the town. Incidentally which is because the locals objected to them being built 'inside in the town' and now have the cheek to complain that the town is dead.

Why do you live there?

I don't??? I live outside the town as I said in my first post in this thread.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    How do the Tipp Town townies get along with the Tipp Town culchies?

I take it you're from Dublin?

I don't??? I live outside the town as I said in my first post in this thread.

That’s there, pretty much. I mean you may fool yourself that you are only going to dunnes or whatever but that’s part of the town. It’s your local town. You can’t just live in a house.

Not a case of 'if' it's as bad as I make out. Not a question about how bad it is. There is a reason it tops the poll every single time for being the worst town in Ireland.

I do shop somewhere else??? Tesco and Dunnes are both outside the town. Incidentally which is because the locals objected to them being built 'inside in the town' and now have the cheek to complain that the town is dead.

Ah its your opinion - so you write those polls? That explains that anyway. Dunnes stores is in a shopping centre - the type of site they usually select for their stores and Tesco ditto. Don't know of too many high street Tesco Supermakets in rural towns :rolleyes:

You could always shop in SuperValue or Aldi or Lidl if you want to stay in the town though ;)
    Plenty of choice anyway ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Tipp Town,Carrick,Nenagh and Roscrea are absolute sh!tholes. Sometimes I'll take backroads just to avoid Tipp Town

Are you mad? Nenagh is quite removed from being a sh!thole.

Ah its your opinion - so you write those polls? That explains that anyway. Dunnes stores is in a shopping centre - the type of site they usually select for their stores and Tesco ditto. Don't know of too many high street Tesco Supermakets in rural towns :rolleyes:

You could always shop in SuperValue or Aldi or Lidl if you want to stay in the town though ;)
    Plenty of choice anyway ...

Tesco is on the main street in Thurles.

Both Dunnes and Tesco were knocked on their planning permission to go where Aldi now stands. So had to go out to the Limerick road.

The whole worst town in Ireland is not just my opinion plenty of threads on here about it if you look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

wild_bill wrote: »
    nenagh is very close to limerick , nenagh really has no excuse not to being doing well but as someone who knows a little about commercial property i can tell you when a town has a very large number of commercial units for rent and at small money , its not a sign of a thriving place , for a relatively small town , nenagh has a very large number of commercial properties unoccupied so either the place is not doing great or no one shops in nenagh itself ?

There's a few commercial units for rent i'll grant you that, but the money is by no means small and the rates are ferocious. But i think if you walk the streets of Limerick you'll find a similar percentage of units available too- in fact pretty much any town or city will offer the same result (outside of Dublin). Not a reflection of the location as much as a reflection of the financial situation the entire country finds itself in.

Big works underway on Martyr's Road on both sides, First Data almost finished, Coty looking likely to be taken over sooner rather than later (if popular rumour is to be believed), Springfort Meadows and Ciamaltha Meadows being finished out with most sold off plans, Kickham St getting 3 new businesses in the next 6 months, Pearse St getting 2, a major revamp of Quentins Way in the offing and the new traffic plan kicking off shortly, which will also resurface all the roads in town. Not to mention the gas, water and ftth infrastructure that has gone in recently.

But yeah, Nenagh has nothing going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

When big town people diss country people, towns, and the countryside, I always feel a little smug, because I was born in a much bigger town than Dublin, grew up there, and then finally opened my eyes when I moved to the country.

I love Tipp people. They're down to earth, tongue in cheek and burly-affectionate (I hope that conveys what I want to say), they have a brilliant sense of community and will rally round to support someone in times of hardship. There's not much going in many places, so they know how to make their own fun.

There's rough people everywhere in Ireland, but at least in the smaller rural towns, there's enough nice people to offset the rough.
    You have to go into them small shops or markets to experience the nice though, how can someone complain when all they're experiencing is Dunnes or Tesco outside and just a quick drive through on occasion ?

Tesco is on the main street in Thurles.

Both Dunnes and Tesco were knocked on their planning permission to go where Aldi now stands. So had to go out to the Limerick road.

The whole worst town in Ireland is not just my opinion plenty of threads on here about it if you look.

I said not many rural towns had high street Tescos ... there are some exceptions :rolleyes:

So why did Aldi get permission? Size of development relevant to the size of site perhaps? The town has a large SuperValue - A Lidl and an Aldi all with toddling distance of the town centre and you're still not happy?

I said not many rural towns had high street Tescos ... there are some exceptions :rolleyes:

So why did Aldi get permission? Size of development relevant to the size of site perhaps? The town has a large SuperValue - A Lidl and an Aldi all with toddling distance of the town centre and you're still not happy?

And I pointed out one which had.

No idea why Aldi got permission. Something you could ask the council.

I never claimed to be displeased with the amount of supermarket's in the town so I don't get where you are going with that one Im afraid.

I just made some valid points as to what is wrong with Tipp Town. And the amount of supermarkets isn't going to change that.

And just to add, they don't have a Supervalu in Tipp Town. Any local will tell you tis the L and N.

• Advertisement

And I pointed out one which had. No idea why Aldi got permission. Something you could ask the council. I never claimed to be displeased with the amount of supermarket's in the town so I don't get where you are going with that one Im afraid.
    I just made some valid points as to what is wrong with Tipp Town. And the amount of supermarkets isn't going to change that.

Yeah you forgot that I had said all right. You also conviently left out all the supermarkets near the town centre to make it appear like there was only Dunnes and Tescos for some reason! As you said the issues are not only found in Tipp town and the people who only choose to shop outside those towns are as big a part of the problem as that the town's they moan about...
    Samsgirl wrote:
    And just to add, they don't have a Supervalu in Tipp Town. Any local will tell you tis the L and N.

Ah I see you actually havn't been in the town centre in years :D Sorry to break the news but the old L&N is no more - it's SuperValue!

Yeah you forgot that I had said all right. You also conviently left out all the supermarkets near the town centre to make it appear like there was only Dunnes and Tescos for some reason! As you said the issues are not only found in Tipp town and the people who only choose to shop outside those towns are as big a part of the problem as that the town's they moan about...

Have to disagree with you on that. I am not moaning about the town. Im responding to the thread title asking what the hell has happened and pointing out what has brought the place to what it is today.

People choose to shop elsewhere for many reasons - more choice, better quality, more competitive prices and friendliness.

If i want to catch up on all the local gossip and have 2 days to stand in a queue in the L and N while Nuala tells Julia the parish ailments and scandal I would go there.

Ah I see you actually havn't been in the town centre in years :D Sorry to break the news but the old L&N is no more - it's SuperValue!

Obviously you don't get sarcasm

Have to disagree with you on that. I am not moaning about the town. Im responding to the thread title asking what the hell has happened and pointing out what has brought the place to what it is today.
    People choose to shop elsewhere for many reasons - more choice, better quality, more competitive prices and friendliness.
    If i want to catch up on all the local gossip and have 2 days to stand in a queue in the L and N while Nuala tells Julia the parish ailments and scandal I would go there.

Not moaning about the town? Lol ...

I think we have already ascertained that many rural towns have such things as half days and marts and districts court sessions. That doesn't make them bad.

However comments of 'scumbags 'mucksavages' 'hole' etc etc says more about the attitude of the commentator than the town itself tbh ...

Not moaning? Lol ...

I think we have already ascertained that many rural towns have such things as half days and marts and districts court sessions. That doesn't make them bad.

However comments of 'scumbags 'mucksavages' 'hole' etc etc says more about the attitude of the person making such comments than the town itself tbh ...

Comments are accurate Im afraid.

Sleep time now. Tomorrow is shopping day need to prepare myself for the big trip to town!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Driving back from Cork to Dublin today. Feeling a bit peckish. Spotted a sign for McDonalds at the next junction (junction 8). Near Cashel from memory.

So stopped in. Had me burger in the car in the car park, classy eh? Spotted a few caravans then a few old style ones (the green yokes that horses used to pull around). Heading off, more caravans then what looked like a settled halting site with pie bald ponies.

So it’s basically a Mackey Ds in a halting site.

Comments are accurate Im afraid.
    Sleep time now. Tomorrow is shopping day need to prepare myself for the big trip to town!!

And I'm sure they'll be just delighted to see you after those comments :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

[QUOTE=Samsgirl;106838317

Utter ****hole of a place.[/QUOTE]

"Farmers attend a mart in a rural Irish town - shocker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Your right, the last time I was there Nuala was tellin Julia about the quarewan Sam is knockin off, apparently she only eats from Dunnes finest range.
    I rescued my OH from Tipp, regularly tell her how lucky she is. Two things you need to do in Tipp town , visit Dwyer brother's on main st , and go to Clan on Stephen's night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wish they would sort out the pot holes on the main road through Tipp town, they are a fecking disgrace. It's like to negotiate your way through a minefield.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wish they would sort out the pot holes on the main road through Tipp town, they are a fecking disgrace. It's like to negotiate your way through a minefield.

No worries they're all fixed !- The entire main street is dug up atm for waterworks improvements or some such ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

bazz26 wrote: »

That section of Road given it's a "national road" is an absolute disgrace.
    You'd really wonder what our politicians are up to:rolleyes:

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Hey that’s south Tipp

Don’t associate us good folk from the North with these!

Ah yes, those bastions of peace in Nenagh and Roscrea. :rolleyes:

Your right, the last time I was there Nuala was tellin Julia about the quarewan Sam is knockin off, apparently she only eats from Dunnes finest range.
    I rescued my OH from Tipp, regularly tell her how lucky she is. Two things you need to do in Tipp town , visit Dwyer brother's on main st , and go to Clan on Stephen's night

M and S on payday. Will have to update them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Ahhhh after reading all these 'not so nice' comments about Tip,.. I now realise the town Shane was singing about.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some right vicious assholes in here.:D

I'm not from Tipp but I did pay Tipp town a visit while going racing in the nearby racecourse. A small group of us booked into the Ballykissteen Hotel to make a night of it afterwards as we'd been advised to do that. Got back to the hotel (on the outskirts of the town) for some grub and a session. Arrived into the hotel bar and it was lightly patronized by people that were either staring at their phones or the ceiling. No atmosphere at all. We bailed into Tipp town instead. Ate in Brazil's restaurant and then drank the night away in a bar called O'Neill's. Mad night. Great craic. No hassle from anyone. Eventually got back to the Hotel and it was asleep. Glad we went into the town though. Not the prettiest place, but I've been in worse towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Last time I drove through Tipp town there was a heavy guy in a wifebeater trying to vandalise passing cars,standing on the road roaring and shouting, thumping bonnets,disrupting traffic..
    My car was two cars behind, I was waiting my turn for a visit to the panel beater the following week....
    He stopped at the next car and walked across the road and kicked in a random door...

This was on a rainy November day....

Ironically as we drove through the town there was two women brawling, this was around 12 in the afternoon.
    I couldn't believe it, I thought Tipperary was a quiet place.

Thank Fck Ennis in Clare is a long way from Tipperary a long way to go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the only dump site on an atlas

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Driving back from Cork to Dublin today. Feeling a bit peckish. Spotted a sign for McDonalds at the next junction (junction 8). Near Cashel from memory.

So stopped in. Had me burger in the car in the car park, classy eh? Spotted a few caravans then a few old style ones (the green yokes that horses used to pull around). Heading off, more caravans then what looked like a settled halting site with pie bald ponies.

So it’s basically a Mackey Ds in a halting site.

Yep, and it's an absolute god send on a late-night journey back north from Cork.

I've been in that garage and McDonalds various nights between the hours of 2am and 5am. There would be the boy racers from the town pulling up, the shams from across in the halting site, but I've never seen one bit of bother in the place.

The filling station keeps its doors open 24/7, none of that 'hatch' bullshít. It's a great spot for the late-night, hungry driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Deedsie wrote: »
    Plenty of Yahoo's in Ennis now to be fair. I used to work in Shannon. No need to say more on that one. Kilrush is basically Clare's Tipp Town.

Was at a 21st in scarriff/tuamgraney years ago. Plenty of toothless yokels there too.

I like Clare but its far from paradise.

Kilrush is way nicer than Tipp the Kip though

• Advertisement
Advertisement