Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Doodle of the day: Fanny Blankers-Koen

Options
  • 26-04-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭

I'm semi-ashamed to say that I'd never heard of Fanny Blankers-Koen, before I saw the curious google doodle pop-up on my browser homepage this morning.

Francina "Fanny" Elsje Blankers-Koen (26 April 1918 – 25 January 2004) was a Dutch athlete, best known for winning four gold medals at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London. She was a 30-year-old mother of two when she competed at the London Olympics. Her background and performances earned her the nickname the Flying Housewife. She was the most successful athlete at the 1948 Summer Olympics.

More here: Wikipedia, Youtube

There's a statue of her in Rotterdam, but sadly it's not on the marathon course as I'm sure runners could draw inspiration from it, during their darker moments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm semi-ashamed to say that I'd never heard of Fanny Blankers-Koen, before I saw the curious google doodle pop-up on my browser homepage this morning.

Francina "Fanny" Elsje Blankers-Koen (26 April 1918 – 25 January 2004) was a Dutch athlete, best known for winning four gold medals at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London. She was a 30-year-old mother of two when she competed at the London Olympics. Her background and performances earned her the nickname the Flying Housewife. She was the most successful athlete at the 1948 Summer Olympics.

More here: Wikipedia, Youtube

There's a statue of her in Rotterdam, but sadly it's not on the marathon course as I'm sure runners could draw inspiration from it, during their darker moments!

I'm a bit shocked Krusty. Maybe my age advantage on you helps me a little here but I'd a thought a well read devotee of the sport like yourself would have known FBK.

And one other thing; What darker moments??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Interesting! I hadn't heard of her myself.
    Amazing that she won four golds after having two kids too. I follow tennis a fair bit and Kim Clijsters a few years ago was the first (and still only) mother to win a slam. I've never looked into the figures for runners but I have a vague impression that it happens more in running? The age profile of a competitive runner is fairly different to that of a female tennis player I suppose, so that's bound to be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

eyrie wrote: »
    Amazing that she won four golds after having two kids too. I follow tennis a fair bit and Kim Clijsters a few years ago was the first (and still only) mother to win a slam. I've never looked into the figures for runners but I have a vague impression that it happens more in running? The age profile of a competitive runner is fairly different to that of a female tennis player I suppose, so that's bound to be part of it.
    Very good story , as for having 2 kids I think our women's team for the Euros have far more between them :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I saw the doodle earlier but never got as far as clicking on it to see who it was about. Delighted to say that I have heard of her before and therefore, like Itziger, we are superior to KC for today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In distance running, there are quite a few women who have competed at a high level after having kids. But Blankers-Koen was a sprinter - I don't think there were many 30 year old mothers of two in the blocks at the last Olympics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

There was a rule that you couldn’t compete in more than 4 events in those 1948 Games. Otherwise she’d have won the long jump too. If the Second World War never happened she’d have 8 or 9 gold medals and would possibly be the most decorated track and field Olympian of all time. A legend of the sport. IAAF named her female athlete of the century in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I imagine Serena will join those ranks... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked Krusty. Maybe my age advantage on you helps me a little here but I'd a thought a well read devotee of the sport like yourself would have known FBK.

And one other thing; What darker moments??
    Athletics didn't exist for me until around 8 years ago and even then largely from a participation standpoint. Only found my love of watching it in recent years and reading about it more recently again. But on the bright side, I've so many heroes yet to discover! Maybe it's because he's a distance runner, but Emil Zátopek is still my 'go-to' hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe it's because he's a distance runner, but Emil Zátopek is still my 'go-to' hero!

Have you read "Today We Die a Little", the recent biography by Richard Askwith?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I imagine Serena will join those ranks... :)

Oh I would say so! Probably by casually winning another dozen or so... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

She was known as the 'Flying Fanny'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

She was known as the 'Flying Fanny'.

You seem partial to risqué nicknames Mr stroker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RayCun wrote: »
    Have you read "Today We Die a Little", the recent biography by Richard Askwith?
    Sure did. Didn't think too much of it, I have to confess. While all the famed Zatopek stories were well represented, I wish there had been more race narrative, and less of the 3rd party introspection, but it's been a while since I read it, so maybe I'm not doing the book proper service.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

sideswipe wrote: »
    You seem partial to risqué nicknames Mr stroker.

Parents were Frances and Richard Stroker.

sides-wipe!!!!

Advertisement