Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH assessment (pas) for An Garda

Options
  • 22-02-2018 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Has anyone done the Irish exam through Public Jobs for the Gardaí?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JD1982

Anyone know how long it takes to get the results from the PAS Irish assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

JD1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to get the results from the PAS Irish assessment?

Two weeks normally. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭davinci88

Am I right in saying that you must sit the irish assessment before going forward for stage 3 ?

If so how long would you have to sit this ie would there be a cut off ? I emailed the PAS and i got a very vague reply ! That was at the start of this campaign however !

I have Foundation level in the LC 15 years ago , if i had of passed Irish i woulda been set ! But now i have to get a tutor !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulmeaney

davinci88 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that you must sit the irish assessment before going forward for stage 3 ?

If so how long would you have to sit this ie would there be a cut off ? I emailed the PAS and i got a very vague reply ! That was at the start of this campaign however !

I have Foundation level in the LC 15 years ago , if i had of passed Irish i woulda been set ! But now i have to get a tutor !!

Hi Davinci88 ,

No the Irish exam comes after stage 3 interviews and before the medical stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 c8bv3i20ndpz7l

Do any of you have information on typical topics for essay and oral?
    As im sure you know very limited information on here.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Do any of you have information on typical topics for essay and oral?
    As im sure you know very limited information on here.
    Thanks

Topics for essays are typically something you've talked about in the oral ,holidays ,family or talk about a hobby

Topics for essays are typically something you've talked about in the oral ,holidays ,family or talk about a hobby

Deadly thanks. Sorry to be a pain but any idea about the translation? Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Yeah translation is handy enough aslong as you know a few phrases you should be sweet ,like they Are ,I have ,sister brother and a few others I can't really remember much ,I don't think it was many points but for the translation section of

Exam done. It was a nightmare not really knowing exactly what was coming up so if anyone has any questions who still has Irish to do feel free to private message me...also thanks for the bit of help I did get from people in this tread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Exam done. It was a nightmare not really knowing exactly what was coming up so if anyone has any questions who still has Irish to do feel free to private message me...also thanks for the bit of help I did get from people in this tread

Hiya,

For some reason it wouldn’t let me PM you, I was wondering if you could give an insight into how the test was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Darraghmiller4

Hey,

All have my assessment soon and wondering if could get any idea of some of the essay topics, how the oral went and how hard is the translation ?

Is the translation like sentences or just words ?

Look forward to hearing from you

• Registered Users Posts: 28 willa25

Hi all,

Anyone done this exam recently. My son has interview coming up soon and wondering how long it will be after that before he would have the irish assessment. He doesn't have a second language and hasn't done irish since junior cert. Very hard to get any info on what actually comes up. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cornflakes132

willa25 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone done this exam recently. My son has interview coming up soon and wondering how long it will be after that before he would have the irish assessment. He doesn't have a second language and hasn't done irish since junior cert. Very hard to get any info on what actually comes up. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you get an answer on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

willa25 wrote: »
    Hi all,

How did he get on?

it seems to be pretty hard to find anything out about this Irish exam

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rhys1995

I did this exam last year , it’s consists of a 15 minute oral which is not too hard as long as you’ve studied . The more difficult things they asked were “why do you want to be a Garda “ and “ what have you seen on the news lately “

In relation to the 1 hour written exam . It consisted of 3 parts . Part 1 was a two choice essay on either my hobbies or a time I went on holidays . Part 2 was a comprehension on the president of Ireland and part 3 was an English to Irish translations.

All in all if you study and put in the time for the exam you will breeze it . I did foundation level at school and found it the exam alright after spending two months solid working on my level of Irish . I’d recommend a grinds teacher and also downloading the “ duolingo “ language app .

Best of luck

I did this exam last year , it’s consists of a 15 minute oral which is not too hard as long as you’ve studied . The more difficult things they asked were “why do you want to be a Garda “ and “ what have you seen on the news lately “

In relation to the 1 hour written exam . It consisted of 3 parts . Part 1 was a two choice essay on either my hobbies or a time I went on holidays . Part 2 was a comprehension on the president of Ireland and part 3 was an English to Irish translations.

All in all if you study and put in the time for the exam you will breeze it . I did foundation level at school and found it the exam alright after spending two months solid working on my level of Irish . I’d recommend a grinds teacher and also downloading the “ duolingo “ language app .

Best of luck

Rhys1995 wrote: »

Best of luck

Excellent thanks for the info, started on duo lingo already, how much was your grinds teacher?

Excellent thanks for the info, started on duo lingo already, how much was your grinds teacher?

No problem at all, let me know if you have any other questions on it :)

I think it was €30 for the hour , pretty sure most of them will be between €25-€40 an hour . It’s quite steep but absolutely worth it . I tried to go Once a week at least and then twice a week coming closer to the exam .

• Advertisement

I think it was €30 for the hour , pretty sure most of them will be between €25-€40 an hour . It’s quite steep but absolutely worth it . I tried to go Once a week at least and then twice a week coming closer to the exam .

Yeah it seems steep alrite but I hope you go the job after all that that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 madge91

Hi, Has anyone been given a date for the Irish or any indication of when the exam might be?

How much time was there after the interview before the exam? And were you told you you would need the exam on the day of the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 madge91

Best of luck

Hi, Is the translation worth the same amount of marks as the other two parts, and is it basic enough and in past tense?

madge91 wrote: »
    Hi, Is the translation worth the same amount of marks as the other two parts, and is it basic enough and in past tense?

Hey , as far as I remember the essay is worth 30 marks and the comprehension & translations are 15 marks each .

It’s basic enough but not all past tense . The translations I got that I remember were ;

I went on a summer holiday to Spain .

I am a teach in a primary school.

I live in Galway with my family.

I can’t remember what the other two were ,sorry.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

You don't need Irish to enter the College, you just need to have studied a second language. Good few foreign nationals in the college these days. But there is Irish oral tests you will get graded on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alchemist8284

Can you reschedule your Irish Assessment? and ball park time frame, how long after your interview was the Test please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darragh12345

Thanks for everything on this tread, I have been getting grinds last few weeks but struggling to get information. Has anyone got an idea to when the exam is and how has everyone been getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

Can you reschedule your Irish Assessment? and ball park time frame, how long after your interview was the Test please?

I asked them in Jan it's on in April. It's looking like I need to find a new grinds teacher too not great at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement