Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route to run near Hidden Valley Campsite in Wicklow

Options
  • 23-04-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We are heading to Hidden Valley Campsite in Wicklow soon. So I am looking for a 10 mile early on the sat morning. I see Avondale Forest Park is not too far away.

If anyone know of any routes around here let us know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Avonmore Way about a km just up the hill above the campsite if you don't mind out and back - not a great road section though, but probably on a par with down to Avondale (assuming you're planning on running from the campsite). It goes to Clara Vale Church, and then up hill from there towards Trooperstown, with mainly quiet roads once you're up out of the valley. Usually you wouldn't need trailrunners, but I haven't been on it for a while.

There's trails in the forest through the rugby club as well (or rather you can get to the forest trails through the rugby club) but not sure you'd get to the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hi,

We are heading to Hidden Valley Campsite in Wicklow soon. So I am looking for a 10 mile early on the sat morning. I see Avondale Forest Park is not too far away.

If anyone know of any routes around here let us know.

Thanks

There will be hills :D

Avondale is your best bet, if you don't mind running on trail, it's generally in good nick with a few lumps and bumps, plus parkrun is beginning there this Saturday, so you could incorporate that into your plan.

You can also run about 1k up the Moneystown road from where you are and join "the relay" route at the stump and run off road as an out and back.

Main roads are tricky and dangerous, but if you wanted to stay on the roads there's a 3 mile loop (kind of triangle) if you run up to the turn for Avondale, but stay on the main road (there's a footpath for about .5 of a mile), take your next left and left again will bring you down to the main Avondale entrance and back to the main road. That times 3 + your up and down to the campsite would be 10 and the safest route.

TBF could probably share his GPS from the Avondale marathon which incorporates a 5 mile (ish) loop of road and trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thanks all, might look at the parkrun and do the course x 3.

Just got hope I get some sleep in the tent now with the kids!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Running in Clara vale is something you’ll always remember... .... as said earlier start at the stump car park and out along the Avonmore river

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Right then here is what to do.
    Stand on the bridge beside the Mill just opposite Hidden valley. Beside said Mill you will see you will see an entrance to a trail which runs along the river. Stay on this trail for 1k until you reach a footbridge. Cross it and head up a steep hill to a sty. Turn left through some old industrial sheds, along a wall, over another sty and you are then along a lovely 3 mile trail which takes you into Avondale. You go under the railway tracks three times(after the industrial yard) and take the next right turn which brings you up towards Avondale House. Do the old park run and re-trace back.
    Good chance you’ll get lost actually 🤔:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of the routes. This camping thing could happen quite often. Do ye know the routes down there from when you were camping or just run there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Thanks for all of the routes. This camping thing could happen quite often. Do ye know the routes down there from when you were camping or just run there?

I can see the camp site from my house. I’ll have my binoculars out looking for you!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Do ye know the routes down there from when you were camping or just run there?
    We live fairly locally to Rathdrum, so between the chilren's activities (beavers/ cubs and killing times waiting for them), and just runs, hikes and bikes. I don't generally get run or exercise time when we're camping to be honest.

The "Avonmore Way" (The trail at the Stump) as an official walk is fairly new (even if most of the trails it utilises aren't).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do ye know the routes down there from when you were camping or just run there?

I've used this website to find places to run when there,
    http://visitwicklow.ie/map-box/?location=182
    It shows you plenty of walks and trails. Plus you won't be to far from Devil's Glen which has some nice long loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Further to the above, the attached shows the connection between Avondale House and the Avonmore way / Stump trails.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1023988550
    From the campsite you are only yards away!

The Avonmore way extends all the way to Clara Vale church and beyond to Trooperstown. Avondale itself is a beautiful place to run. Personally I'd prefer to take the river trail which is very scenic. The grassy avenue in the middle is regularly used for cross country events too.

• Advertisement

In the end i never got to run. But wow its lovely here. Weather is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hi all,

Any nice routes around druids glen resort?? Have a function there soon and will hopefully get to sneak out for a run in the surroundings. Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any nice routes around druids glen resort?? Have a function there soon and will hopefully get to sneak out for a run in the surroundings. Thanks .
    Drive up to the reservoir in Roundwood, about 10 mins away. Around both lakes is 16k.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Drive up to the reservoir in Roundwood, about 10 mins away. Around both lakes is 16k.

Thanks. I may not have time. Will possibly only have an hour. Is there anywhere on site at druids glen? Thanks.

Advertisement