Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private to Public Sector

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

What you are doing now is not 'real work life' though. You are being under paid and taken advantage of based on what you have posted. Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Would you not move within the private sector? You could easily move somewhere with better hours, culture and benefits and with a salary increase rather than decrease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Loads of people on this thread saying they took a pay cut to join the public service.

I’m in the PS 17 years and have yet to meet someone that got a pay rise when joining the PS, though listening to the Irish media you’d swear we’re all driving Mercs, living in D4 and quaffing copious amounts of Richebourg Grand Crú.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Loads of people on this thread saying they took a pay cut to join the public service.

I’m in the PS 17 years and have yet to meet someone that got a pay rise when joining the PS, though listening to the Irish media you’d swear we’re all driving Mercs, living in D4 and quaffing copious amounts of Richebourg Grand Crú.

And yet people still do it. Because you will never, ever get terms or job security like it in the private sector. Where we're also not driving Mercs, living in D4 and quaffing copious amounts of Richebourg Grand Crú.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    And yet people still do it. Because you will never, ever get terms or job security like it in the private sector. Where we're also not driving Mercs, living in D4 and quaffing copious amounts of Richebourg Grand Crú.

Open the Indo any day over the last ten years. Read about our “gold plated pensions”, read about the “ATM” that was Benchmarking, read about how even during the recession we had pay increases, read about how we caused the downturn in the economy etc... when the truth is our pensions more than pay for themselves, benchmarking was an essential exercise by the Govt as the PS was haemorraging staff, we had multiple pay cuts and all had to do more with less (remember that when our numbers were at their highest the OECD said we already did more with less when compared to similar sized countries) and public servants have been central to the quick turnaround of our economy by creating the necessary economic conditions.

Of course the ultimate irony is that during the recession a pay cut in the PS saw all that money going back into the public coffers to be redistributed to where it was needed most, but a private sector pay cut merely added to the negative economic spiral and in some cases merely lined the pockets of a few.

Job security may be good but it’s not accepted as legal tender in any shops. Terms and Conditions are good, but not as good as many private sector companies, and are completely at the whim of local management. Some Depts (like DEASP) can be very difficult to get any of these conditions that might be far more easily available in other offices/Depts.

However, I believe things like Parental Leave (which is refused to CS staff even though there’s a Statutory “right” to it), career breaks, flexible working etc... are going to be strengthened in the CS over the coming years as the CS can never compete with private sector wages so will need to somehow continue to be an employer of choice.

As for people still joining the CS, I don’t have any data to back this up but DPER are finding it very difficult to hold onto graduates as they realise that they can earn far far more in the private sector. This is a huge issue for the CS and one which they have to try and meet head on and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Open the Indo any day over the last ten years. Read about our “gold plated pensions”, read about the “ATM” that was Benchmarking, read about how even during the recession we had pay increases, read about how we caused the downturn in the economy etc... when the truth is our pensions more than pay for themselves, benchmarking was an essential exercise by the Govt as the PS was haemorraging staff, we had multiple pay cuts and all had to do more with less (remember that when our numbers were at their highest the OECD said we already did more with less when compared to similar sized countries) and public servants have been central to the quick turnaround of our economy by creating the necessary economic conditions.

Of course the ultimate irony is that during the recession a pay cut in the PS saw all that money going back into the public coffers to be redistributed to where it was needed most, but a private sector pay cut merely added to the negative economic spiral and in some cases merely lined the pockets of a few.

Job security may be good but it’s not accepted as legal tender in any shops. Terms and Conditions are good, but not as good as many private sector companies, and are completely at the whim of local management. Some Depts (like DEASP) can be very difficult to get any of these conditions that might be far more easily available in other offices/Depts.

However, I believe things like Parental Leave (which is refused to CS staff even though there’s a Statutory “right” to it), career breaks, flexible working etc... are going to be strengthened in the CS over the coming years as the CS can never compete with private sector wages so will need to somehow continue to be an employer of choice.

As for people still joining the CS, I don’t have any data to back this up but DPER are finding it very difficult to hold onto graduates as they realise that they can earn far far more in the private sector. This is a huge issue for the CS and one which they have to try and meet head on and quickly.

For a start, the Indo is a rag. Whatever is in it is irrelevant.

T&Cs may not be as good as some private sector companies but that's comparing apples and oranges. The T&Cs are good in the private sector if what you do helps make the company money. I worked in the private sector until recently. In a big company. Some of us were in areas that could tread water...others hadn't a hope and a lot were laid off.

It's not a black and white situation. But a lot of the comparisons are not comparing apples with apples.

For a start, the Indo is a rag. Whatever is in it is irrelevant.

T&Cs may not be as good as some private sector companies but that's comparing apples and oranges. The T&Cs are good in the private sector if what you do helps make the company money. I worked in the private sector until recently. In a big company. Some of us were in areas that could tread water...others hadn't a hope and a lot were laid off.

It's not a black and white situation. But a lot of the comparisons are not comparing apples with apples.

It wasn’t just the Indo though, most public discourse over the last ten years went the way I explained it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It wasn’t just the Indo though, most public discourse over the last ten years went the way I explained it.

I don't think most people thought like how you're painting/seeing it.

I don't know anyone who thought "I could be in the private sector now, doing less and earning more at the level I'm at. The ones who did were few and far between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭the14thwarrior

think of it as a positive move.. move on, you need the variety of experience and you may end up making more money / getting promoted. it a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Bull, 520 stamps is what you need and I'm calling bull on a public job promotion interview that is decided by private sector. OP you'll be marked the day you arrive from private sector as either (a) couldn't handle it in big bad world (b) sunshiner or (c) blow in potentially taking promotions from lifers.

With regard public service interviews. You're marked on the competencies that they discuss with you in the interview. You're given feedback after the interview on how you performed under each competency heading. None of these issues you listed are taken into account during public sector interviews.

It's quite obvious you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

fxotoole wrote: »
    With regard public service interviews. You're marked on the competencies that they discuss with you in the interview. You're given feedback after the interview on how you performed under each competency heading. None of these issues you listed are taken into account during public sector interviews.

It's quite obvious you haven't a clue what you are talking about.
    He has being offered the job why should care how he did in the interview.
    Take the ps job I think you said it was with a county council then flixi time is a no brainer

naughto wrote: »
    He has being offered the job why should care how he did in the interview.
    Take the ps job I think you said it was with a county council then flixi time is a no brainer

I was pulling up judeboy101 on his glaringly obvious ignorance on a topic he quite obviously has no idea about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

fxotoole wrote: »
    I was pulling up judeboy101 on his glaringly obvious ignorance on a topic he quite obviously has no idea about.

I see that now sorry chief

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

jess1984 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a situation..one wouldn't say it's a bad one but I'm really stressed about it.
    I work in the private industry, it's a high pressure role. I work Christmas day, public holidays, weekends though my position is supposed to be Monday to Friday - 8 to 4, usually finish at any time up to 10 pm and could start at 0500 am. Trying to get vacation is tough, you have to find coverage. You are expected to provide coverage for others. Your expected to check your emails when you are off. In saying all this I do get paid well. But I'm always stressed and tired. Plus the 1 other person in my department in our Irish office stinks and drives me around the bend. Im with the company 8 years.
    I've now been offered a permanent position in a local authority. The work life balance would be amazing but my salary will drop by €12 k. I'm so stressed about this. I know money doesn't buy happiness but I'm literally getting sick about this decision. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks for any advise.

I halved my salary when I joined the service 10 years ago and then had no promotion options until recently enough. Back then it was security over salary decision. It's worked out well though as I've been promoted 3 times since moratorium was lifted and am now an AP and earning a good bit more than I was in the private sector. But my private sector pension is still worth more than my supposedly gold plated CS one.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

It is hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Also remember you can promoted easily enough on civil service by lying on your application and faking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Also remember you can promoted easily enough on civil service by lying on your application and faking it.

?

Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stupid post:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement