Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Would love to do London again and really hope I get to do it at least 1 more time but with those gfa changes it looks like it'll be at least 2021 before that happens and I'll have to improve my PB by at least 5 mins. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

ooter wrote: »
    Would love to do London again and really hope I get to do it at least 1 more time but with those gfa changes it looks like it'll be at least 2021 before that happens and I'll have to improve my PB by at least 5 mins. :(
    Oooter, 3 years to improve your time by 5 mins! Where's the problem, lad??

Itziger wrote: »
    Oooter, 3 years to improve your time by 5 mins! Where's the problem, lad??

I know, but that PB was almost 4 years ago and at the moment I can't even run for a bus so it's going to be a long road back. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gucci wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on what the times increase by on "hot" years in comparison to favourable cooler conditions?
    Based on a comparison of Boston 2017 being a hot year and 2018 being a stormy year it looks like there isn't a lot of difference.

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/04/2018-boston-marathon-first-look-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Giving thunderstorms in the AM now. That contradicts to prediction of low humidity I'd imagine. The met UK have 10 degrees at the start and 22 at the finish with humidity in the 70's. Not ideal but here's hoping for the weather to break early!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Met Office are holding firm on their forecast of 18 degrees for the start, rising to 21 by 1pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So the DLR strike is still due to go ahead from tomorrow and through the weekend.

For getting to the Expo you can get as close as Canning Town on the Jubilee Line and then it is about a mile walk. An alternative would be get off the Jubliee line at North Greenwich and then take the gondola across the river, it is more expensive, but it's a nice ride and view across that end of the city. Taking the gondola will probably save you three quarters of a mile walk to the Excel.

https://www.facebook.com/londonmarathon/photos/a.310610954747.146205.71506449747/10155890794064748/?type=3

Edit: the gondala is actually going to be free so definitely worth taking that if you are not in a rush, expect queues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

robinph wrote: »
    So the DLR strike is still due to go ahead from tomorrow and through the weekend.

For getting to the Expo you can get as close as Canning Town on the Jubilee Line and then it is about a mile walk. An alternative would be get off the Jubliee line at North Greenwich and then take the gondola across the river, it is more expensive, but it's a nice ride and view across that end of the city. Taking the gondola will probably save you three quarters of a mile walk to the Excel.

https://www.facebook.com/londonmarathon/photos/a.310610954747.146205.71506449747/10155890794064748/?type=3

robinph, I'm flying into London City Airport, whats the best way to get to the Regent's park area with no DLR running?

sideswipe wrote: »
    robinph, I'm flying into London City Airport, whats the best way to get to the Regent's park area with no DLR running?

I think if you walk to Canning Town, or the Emirates Gondola, from the Excel and then Jublee line top Waterloo, then Bakerloo line to Regents park.

You can probably walk from the airport to Excel as well, but I don't know the footpath situation around that area, otherwise a short taxi ride to the Excel with whoever else looks like a runner from your flight could save the legs a bit of walking and time on your feet.

...and incase anyone wasn't aware if you have a contactless bank card you can use that on the touchpads at the underground stations and your Irish card will work. Some stations further out of the centre, mostly DLR ones so not an issue this weekend, do not have gates that you need to "tag" your card on to get out though, so to ensure you don't end up getting a penalty charge you need to remember to tag out on those stations and if it's crowded you may miss where that sensor is.

If you end you end up getting a bus to the Excel or anywhere then for some reason you only tag your card when you get on, not when you get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't know what London Transport's plan is for this weekend.
    But, I was in London for business during a previous DLR strike.
    It looked like they recommissioned every bus to cover transportation on the DLR routes, it was quite easy to get from LCY to Canning Town and jump on the Tube network.

Race organisers now predicting hottest marathon on record. Encouraging people to think twice about wearing fancy dress.

Putting ice and showers on route.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Robinph,

Thanks for those pointers. Flying into city airport tomorrow and then into city, so good to see the options.

Reading above I don’t need an Oyster card or two day pass so? Not doing much travel so just as handy to use the bank card?

And for that, swipe in and out of tube stations and if bus, just swipe on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Medical Director also now advising no one to go for a PB in the weather.

If you've got an Oyster card then use that, but it's not needed to get one these days as you can use the bank card directly:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

You'll not need to pay on Sunday to get to the start, but you will if travelling later that day to get back to the airport for instance. You'll probably actually find that if you end up getting a bus to the Expo for the sections where the DLR isn't running that you'll not need to worry about paying for that bit either and they will just be ramming people on as quick as possible and ignoring worrying about people paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

robinph wrote: »
    If you've got an Oyster card then use that, but it's not needed to get one these days as you can use the bank card directly:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

Sorry to be sticking my oar in here but just on thing to bear in mind with this is if you're using a Euro contactless card the bank here could/probably will hammer you with charges. I used mine a few months ago to get a cup of tea in the airport (£1.80) and the charge was near as high as the tea! Might be worth double checking this before you go so you don't come back to find you paid some stupidly high tube fare.

Anyway that public service announcement aside the very best of luck to one and all participating. Enjoy the sights, sounds and atmosphere of the marathon and be sure to make the most of it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Should be out with the kids to watch on Sunday - weather forecast has me glad I'm deferring tbh! I melt when running in hot weather. Forecast 27 here this afternoon.

Best of luck to everyone here running :)

The latest twitter advice re the heat:

https://twitter.com/LondonMarathon/status/986957869097549825

Should be out with the kids to watch on Sunday - weather forecast has me glad I'm deferring tbh! I melt when running in hot weather. Forecast 27 here this afternoon.

Best of luck to everyone here running :)

Think I may now also be preferring the watching option, bit mad that I've had to defer still though and breaking my sequence but there is no way I'd be able for the distance at the moment.

Planning on jogging around bits of the course on Sunday morning and seeing how much of the elites I can get to see, whilst listening to the BBC coverage on iPlayer and hoping the phone battery lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

My debut London Marathon on Sunday....as a spectator.

Looking forward to it. Have watched it on TV since I was a kid and have rarely missed it down the years, despite marathon running not being my thing at all. There’s no race more iconic in road running IMO.

Tough break re the weather. It can be hard to take when all the hard training gets scuppered by the weather. But health is more important than PBs. Look after yourselves, modify your goals if needed, and don’t do anything foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

DLR strike off....just need the weather to play ball now ����

Can't wait for it now.

Adjust the goal and enjoy running around a great city in lovely warm weather in arguably the best marathon in the world.

Experience > PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to all running and remember to enjoy and be mindful of the heat and adjust the goals accordingly. Listen to the body. Hope to be back in shape for it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone!

I've read a bit of pre-race hype about both men's & women's world records being under threat so will be looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone!

I've read a bit of pre-race hype about both men's & women's world records being under threat so will be looking forward to seeing what happens.

Every major marathon seems to have similar hype these days. It sets people up for disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Every major marathon seems to have similar hype these days. It sets people up for disappointment.
    Yep and the women going with male pacemakers not a big fan of going back to 15 year old rules. Would rather see a proper womens race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heard a woman interviewed on the BBC this morning. She had just returned from Des Sables. Also spoke about her first time running London in 2011. It was 21c, in her own words made 'the classic mistake'. She was going gusto for sub 4, all fell apart around mile 24, not enough water, hit the barriers and went unconscious, was on oxygen and all that. Finished in 6:22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Throw up a few bib numbers guys so we can track ye Sunday?

Heard a woman interviewed on the BBC this morning. She had just returned from Des Sables. Also spoke about her first time running London in 2011. It was 21c, in her own words made 'the classic mistake'. She was going gusto for sub 4, all fell apart around mile 24, not enough water, hit the barriers and went unconscious, was on oxygen and all that. Finished in 6:22.

Was it Sophie raworth?
    https://twitter.com/Raworthontherun/status/985474416984383488?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, it was her. :)

Advertisement