Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Overpronator?? Shane R

Through 40k in 3.05.59

Exp Finish: 3.16.12 in next few moments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

neilc 3.18.36 40k

sideswipe 3.24.11 Finish

neilc 3.30.57 Finish

Tough going out there today, well done lads. Enjoy the pints!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just seen OP's strava - Sub3 pace til 11m and a tough run home.

Hope all is well Shane. Enjoy the recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a big time from Scullion. Anybody know what his pb is/was?

That's a big time from Scullion. Anybody know what his pb is/was?

2.18.04 from last year however he is also a sub 29 10k man (and was on the u23 team that won gold in Euro Cross) so talent has always been there he has just been finding his feet on marathon distance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Couldn't find his bottle at the first station. Picked up the wrong one. Similar on another station.

Will Farah be DQ's for that? Fairly messes up the other guy's race.

Shedite27 wrote:

I think the chances of Mo being disqualified from the London marathon are about as slim as you can get. To be honest I'm not sure what the rule is there but Radcliffe said on commentary that he definitely had the wrong water bottle after the first station.

2.18.04 from last year however he is also a sub 29 10k man (and was on the u23 team that won gold in Euro Cross) so talent has always been there he has just been finding his feet on marathon distance

Trying to think what happened him in Dublin. I seem to remember he went chasing the national title not realizing the other lad didn't qualify. I was just surprised to see scullion finish so far ahead of o'hanlon today but maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

• Advertisement

Trying to think what happened him in Dublin. I seem to remember he went chasing the national title not realizing the other lad didn't qualify. I was just surprised to see scullion finish so far ahead of o'hanlon today but maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

2.18 and race win in Dublin would have booked his ticket in Dublin. He went out hard (IIRC 2.15 pace) and it caught up with him in Dublin and GOH caught him on the hope.

Realistically 9/10 times you would put Scullion over O'Hanlon

Scullion also ran on of the fastest ever Half Marathons for an Irish back in Jan so was in good form despite stomach issues in Valencia.

Scullion also ran on of the fastest ever Half Marathons for an Irish back in Jan so was in good form despite stomach issues in Valencia.

I actually remember seeing that on Strava. Houston I think.

Very impressive today. Looks like O Hanlon was a bit off his pb

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

2.59.43 or so today. Very tough, by half way I was goosed. Pulled something out of the fire with about 2.5 miles to go and got in under th three.

The heat just drains the energy and burns the legs.

Serious support all the way and great buzz going up last mile. Was banjacked after it and just needed shade and rest. Right as rain now at airport on way home.

Well done all who battled through that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Battle for survival from the off really. Was sweating just standing sill. Drank loads and couldn’t work up a good piss, I was loosing so much moisture. That was warning sign no.1
    Decided to adjust the target to 3:05 but after 10k new that was a stretch and decided to ignore the watch and run by effort. The temp kept rising and the pace kept dropping at that effort.
    Never saw so many people walking and receiving treatment before half way- it was like running through a field hospital in places!!!
    Was pouring on the water but by mile 8 or 9 the bottles of water were warm anyway!
    My runners were soaked from pouring on the water and started to feel a blister develop on my left big toe (never got one before in a race), this got gradually more painful over the coming miles. Was trying to run in the shade were possible even though it meant leaving the race line- think that shows in the final distance- 27.3 miles.
    By mile 21 the blister was killing me, my knee was starting to flare and my A, B & C goals had floated down the river. I stopped caring about times and started to walk/run the rest of the way high 5’ing the kids.
    Not sure how I feel at the moment- feels like and waste of a great course with great support for a good time. I guess that’s just the way the cookie crumbles.
    On the positive, the legs didn’t get too much of a battering.
    I’m leaving with unfinished business with this race though........
    Congrats to anyone who ran well in that today, never ran a marathon in that heat before.......never want to again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Shedite27 wrote: »

Think it needs to be deliberate and intentional, in this case it looked like a genuine mix up / mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

sideswipe wrote: »
    Battle for survival from the off really. Was sweating just standing sill. Drank loads and couldn’t work up a good piss, I was loosing so much moisture. That was warning sign no.1
    Decided to adjust the target to 3:05 but after 10k new that was a stretch and decided to ignore the watch and run by effort. The temp kept rising and the pace kept dropping at that effort.
    Never saw so many people walking and receiving treatment before half way- it was like running through a field hospital in places!!!
    Was pouring on the water but by mile 8 or 9 the bottles of water were warm anyway!
    My runners were soaked from pouring on the water and started to feel a blister develop on my left big toe (never got one before in a race), this got gradually more painful over the coming miles. Was trying to run in the shade were possible even though it meant leaving the race line- think that shows in the final distance- 27.3 miles.
    By mile 21 the blister was killing me, my knee was starting to flare and my A, B & C goals had floated down the river. I stopped caring about times and started to walk/run the rest of the way high 5’ing the kids.
    Not sure how I feel at the moment- feels like and waste of a great course with great support for a good time. I guess that’s just the way the cookie crumbles.
    Congrats to anyone who ran well in that today, never ran a marathon in that heat before.......never want to again!
    So well put, sums up my race nearly to a t, for the day that was in it well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

sideswipe wrote: »

Think a lot of people had the same experience,I was 1:29:30 through half and feet swelled and started digging in at bottom of shin and developed a pinch in knee on same leg also.decided after half I was not going to force it and walked through water stations and doused myself in water.not one bit dissapointed as at the rate people were dropping i was happy just to make it to the finish.finished 3:18:02
    long cold winter training followed by seriously hot marathon not ideal. must say volunteers yesterday have to be admired as they were out there for hours also in the sweltering heat. No qualifying time for next year unless I run Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

psychozeb wrote: »
    Think a lot of people had the same experience,I was 1:29:30 through half and feet swelled and started digging in at bottom of shin and developed a pinch in knee on same leg also.decided after half I was not going to force it and walked through water stations and doused myself in water.not one bit dissapointed as at the rate people were dropping i was happy just to make it to the finish.finished 3:18:02
    long cold winter training followed by seriously hot marathon not ideal. must say volunteers yesterday have to be admired as they were out there for hours also in the sweltering heat. No qualifying time for next year unless I run Cork.

I must have crossed the halfway line with you/ I was in or around that time. By mile 17 I knew I was setting myself up for major trouble.
    That heat was something I have never experienced, and it made the race a completely different challenge. I had trained for a 2.55 time for London, but realised early last week that was off the cards so I wasnt too disappointed. I thought going for at least a sub 3 was manageable, but seriously after miles 17 i went from 6.45/6.50 a mile to 8.20/8.30! My legs were just sapped completely. In the end the sun and heat just floored my legs. I felt a cramp coming on every 3 miles or so in my left leg but thanks be to jesus I managed to get through without cramping. Bit of a limpish run in mile 23 but shook that off.
    In the end, I bloody loved the race from start to finish. Mile 17 onwards was just such an enjoyable experience. Once I pulled back I just took everything in and got so caught up in the buzz. Got home in the end in 3.12. That was my first time coming to the end of a marathon not even knowing what time I would be coming in at until the last mile!

Well done everyone. That was a hard earned medal. And a lovely one at that :) Decided to do Cork myself at mile 13!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I must have crossed the halfway line with you/ I was in or around that time. By mile 17 I knew I was setting myself up for major trouble.
    That heat was something I have never experienced, and it made the race a completely different challenge. I had trained for a 2.55 time for London, but realised early last week that was off the cards so I wasnt too disappointed. I thought going for at leats a sub 3 was manageable, but seriously after miles 17 i went from 6.45/6.50 a mile to 8.20/8.30! My legs were just sapped completely. In the end the sun and heat just floored my legs. I felt a cramp coming on every 3 miles or so in my left leg but thanks be to jesus I managed to get through without cramping. Bit of a limpish run in mile 23 but shook that off.
    In the end, I bloody loved the race from start to finish. Mile 17 onwards was just such an enjoyable experience. Once I pulled back I just took everything in and got so caught up in the buzz. Got home in the end in 3.12. That was my first time coming to the end of a marathon not even knowing what time I would be coming in at until the last mile!

Well done everyone. That was a hard earned medal. And a lovely one at that :)Decided to do Cork myself at mile 13!

Hehe, thought you might and all. Well done on yesterday. I'd say the number of people who hit A target was minimal. Hey, not even Kipchoge did!!!

Itziger wrote: »
    Hehe, thought you might and all. Well done on yesterday. I'd say the number of people who hit A target was minimal. Hey, not even Kipchoge did!!!

Will you be joining me for the finisher photo this year!? I had planned against it all along, was going to take a nice break but sure why not! Was talking to a girl from the North on the train home and said that one of their girls got the 2.49 she had trained for! Absolutely incredible to have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Will you be joining me for the finisher photo this year!? I had planned against it all along, was going to take a nice break but sure why not! Was talking to a girl from the North on the train home and said that one of their girls got the 2.49 she had trained for! Absolutely incredible to have done that.

That's impressive, especially after the weather 'we've' had. I guess a few people are not much affected by the heat. But most are.

I'm afraid I won't be doing Cork this year. I'll be relaxing are a trot around Stockholm the day before ;)

Itziger wrote: »
    That's impressive, especially after the weather 'we've' had. I guess a few people are not much affected by the heat. But most are.

I'm afraid I won't be doing Cork this year. I'll be relaxing are a trot around Stockholm the day before ;)

I hope the weather is kind!

I saw a scary amount of people go down from around mile 22 onwards. I'm reading today that the 2018 event has the most finishers ever though- that's amazing considering.

Very little to complain about yesterday too, unless you were one of the runners affected by the water shortage. Saw a marshal cross the road and bang head on into a runner in front of me! Thought that was a bit reckless but fairly smooth sailing organisation wise from what I saw.

Sad news from yesterday guys. 29 year old Matt Campbell died after collapsing at mile 22.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/statement-from-the-organisers-of-the-virgin-money-london-marathon/

Statement from the organisers of the Virgin Money London Marathon
    23/04/2018

With deep sadness, we confirm the death of a participant in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Matt Campbell, aged 29, a professional chef from the Lake District, collapsed at the 22.5 mile mark and, although he received immediate medical treatment on the scene from race doctors, he died later in hospital.

Matt was a well-known chef who featured in Masterchef: The Professionals last year, inspiring viewers with his Nutritional Gastronomy movement and forward-thinking ideas. He was running for The Brathay Trust and in memory of his father, Martin, who died in the summer of 2016.

Matt’s family today paid tribute to their inspirational son and brother, who was a keen marathon runner and had earlier this month completed the Manchester Marathon in under 3 hours.

Matt’s chosen charity, The Brathay Trust, inspires vulnerable young people to make positive changes in their lives: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mattcampbell-londonmarathon

Everyone involved in the organisation of the London Marathon would like to express our sincere condolences to Matt’s family and friends.

No further details will be released and the family has asked for privacy. The exact cause of death will be established by later medical examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Sad news from yesterday guys. 29 year old Matt Campbell died after collapsing at mile 22.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/statement-from-the-organisers-of-the-virgin-money-london-marathon/

23/04/2018

With deep sadness, we confirm the death of a participant in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Matt Campbell, aged 29, a professional chef from the Lake District, collapsed at the 22.5 mile mark and, although he received immediate medical treatment on the scene from race doctors, he died later in hospital.

Matt was a well-known chef who featured in Masterchef: The Professionals last year, inspiring viewers with his Nutritional Gastronomy movement and forward-thinking ideas. He was running for The Brathay Trust and in memory of his father, Martin, who died in the summer of 2016.

Matt’s family today paid tribute to their inspirational son and brother, who was a keen marathon runner and had earlier this month completed the Manchester Marathon in under 3 hours.

Matt’s chosen charity, The Brathay Trust, inspires vulnerable young people to make positive changes in their lives: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mattcampbell-londonmarathon

Everyone involved in the organisation of the London Marathon would like to express our sincere condolences to Matt’s family and friends.

No further details will be released and the family has asked for privacy. The exact cause of death will be established by later medical examination.

Awful news. RIP.

Congrats to all who got around - amazing achievement. I was dehydrated from the heat just as a spectator! :eek:

Fantastic from Scullion and GOH - there was a visually impaired Irish runner with a guide who also did really well or so it seemed - unfortunately I didn't get his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

23/04/2018

He must have been around us at halfway mark. Saw his splits and he was about 3 mins up on me at 35k.as we came out of Canary Wharf stewards were telling us to keep left and paramedics had someone cordained off.assuming it was this lad.Very sad to hear of his death. No run is worth that,after watching Callum Hawkins last week I vowed never let myself get to that state.

psychozeb wrote: »
    He must have been around us at halfway mark. Saw his splits and he was about 3 mins up on me at 35k.as we came out of Canary Wharf stewards were telling us to keep left and paramedics had someone cordained off.assuming it was this lad.Very sad to hear of his death. No run is worth that,after watching Callum Hawkins last week I vowed never let myself get to that state.

I was thinking the same thing, we must have run with him for a good bit of it so. I know I'd have had a horror story finish if I didn't pull back when I did. How absolutely awful for all his family and friends. I can't imagine someone from the club going to a race and not coming home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Very similar race to the above. Trained for sub 2:50 but went for sub 255 given weather. Knew that wasn't on after 10 miles. Through half in 1:29 but knew the only way I'd finish was to slow down.

Hit lap on my watch and planned for a 1:35 second half.

Spent whole race just grabbing water and soaking myself. Then crossing roads for shade etc.

The race itself is incredible. Coming over Tower Bridge and the crowds there.

Over 15 mins out from my target time but probably one of the most memorable. I'd say enjoyable but it was such a battle to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Tragic news about Matt Campbell. Really puts it all in perspective. RIP.

My own day didn't go to plan, but that's all quite acceptable and relevant in the context of that story. Abandoned plans for 3,3.05 and 3.10 within about 10k as I was struggling with the heat and expected I would need some energy in reserve for towards in the end. Ended up making it past 40k with the idea dawning that I would have to probably walk the last 1 or 2km, however when it came to making that transition from being an exceptionally ungraceful and stiff jog to walking, but legs just gave up.
    Frustrating to be that close to the finish, but I couldn't support my own weight so its not like I had any option but to pull out.

It was a great day, fantastic support and I would love to do it again if it was 5 degrees cooler!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

What's with all the regular runners with their first name printed on their singlets? Is that a thing now?

Big push on it at the Expo and in about 3 or 4 emails in the weeks running up to marathon too. All about the $$$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

gucci wrote: »
    What's with all the regular runners with their first name printed on their singlets? Is that a thing now?

Big push on it at the Expo and in about 3 or 4 emails in the weeks running up to marathon too. All about the $$

Nah. That's bollix.

People do it so the amazing crowd can shout their names for encouragement. And that they do. Really hard to overstate how much the London crowd get into it.

Advertisement