Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secondhand book shop waterford

• 19-04-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was in the shop today and the person behind the counter was talking about the upcoming referendum with a customer. They were speaking about how they think abortion is wrong. Witch is fine that's their view but they then went on to say that they thinks women who get abortions should be killed by the state. They then loudly proclaimed that to have a voice in this day and age you need to be a "transgender bender".

At the end of the day it's a free country and they can say what they like in, I don't agree with their views but they are welcome to them. My problem with this kind of talk as a consumer is that hearing homophobic slurs and talk of killing women for doing something they disagree with is upsetting and insulting. I happen to have a close family member who is trans and I personally do not want to hear them talked about in such a way when I am trying to relax and shop for books.

I was a regular customer to this shop until today but i won't be going back.

What do you think is talk like this okay during work hours ?

MOD NOTE: please dont try to identify or name this person as they may not have any means to defend themselves or their actions. Attempts to do so will be met with action. I'm sure Waterford is not littered with secondhand bookshops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

when you run your own business, you re never 'off duty', i.e. sometimes its good to keep your mouth shut, for your own benefit. this talk is fine at any stage of the day, but its always good to be aware of your surroundings, particularly if you re running your own business. this referendum is beyond boring at this stage, both sides are full of ****, people are not stupid, they ll vote whatever way they want to vote. he on the other hand, may find his business shutting soon if he continues voicing his opinions on such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Unbelievably ignorant talk if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

He is only human at the end of the day. Sometimes we all go a bit over the top with what we say. The whole abortion “debate” has become a farce, as has been said. It’s been taken over by the extremes on both side. Don’t think it is right to be singling out one person and their business here.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

BBM77 wrote: »
    He is only human at the end of the day. Sometimes we all go a bit over the top with what we say. The whole abortion “debate” has become a farce, as has been said. It’s been taken over by the extremes on both side. Don’t think it is right to be singling out one person and their business here.

I think it's fair to say people can go over the top and say things they don't mean and with regard to the killing women part it may be possible he was exaggerating for emotional effect. Like i said people are entitled to their views but calling trans people "transgender benders" is insulting no two ways about it.

I am not trying to single him out i'm just expressing my view as a consumer that i don't want to shop in an environment where insulting people based on gender is ok. If people have no problem with this and want to keep going to his shop i dont care thats up to the individual but i do think things like this should be talked about.

If I knew a shop owner/worker was voting no or even if i knew that they don't like gay/trans people it would necessary stop me going to the shop it's the fact that he was openly calling people derogatory names that makes me not want to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe someone reading this could invite said businessman to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

I think it's worth mentioning that what's has been quoted here is like the man's store, second hand information. I would take it with a pinch of salt before people start calling for his head.

dzilla wrote: »
    I think it's worth mentioning that what's has been quoted here is like the man's store, second hand information. I would take it with a pinch of salt before people start calling for his head.

I am confused about how its second hand information. I am both the original poster and the person who was in the shop.

I would take “second hand information” to mean that i was not the original person eg: if i was relating to you something that happened to a friend that would be secondhand information.

Could you please explain what you mean more clearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't accept that 'going over the top for effect' in a space accessible to the public in the shop, should be regarded as any different to making such statements on a soapbox on the street.

I respect his right to vote whatever way he wishes, but I think his words as reported were despicable and completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Had no idea there was a 2nd hand bookstore in Waterford..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

I am confused about how its second hand information. I am both the original poster and the person who was in the shop.

I would take “second hand information” to mean that i was not the original person eg: if i was relating to you something that happened to a friend that would be secondhand information.

Could you please explain what you mean more clearly?

Yeah wrong choice of words. To clarify, you where evesdropping.

Anyway lets be honest who is to say you don't have a personal grudge against this man and your spinning a yarn.

Bit strong of you to come on here and try and damage the mans business.

And to be honest I don't believe that he said what you say he said

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Yeah wrong choice of words. To clarify, you where evesdropping.

Anyway lets be honest who is to say you don't have a personal grudge against this man and your spinning a yarn.

Bit strong of you to come on here and try and damage the mans business.

And to be honest I don't believe that he said what you say he said

Ah okay thanks for being honest with me. I'm not really sure how i can convince you I'm not lying all i can say is I’m not and I don't even know this person's name the only interactions I have had with them have been buying books and they were always nice up until today.

I do want to be clear I'm not trying to damage his business I'm just expressing why i won't be going to his shop anymore.

I fell like you did not read my post or maybe you didn't understand me; in the middle part of the post I explain that he can hold whatever views he likes but i find using homophobic slurs so bad that I personal would not want to go back to his shop. Some people are not bothered by things like that and that is totally fine.

I then go on to ask what other people think. I am open to what you have to say and maybe I did come on to strong buy indicating who the person is I have since edited the post to make it less clear who the person is.

I get that people lie online for fun so i understand why you would think that i mire be doing that but to say i am trying to destroy someone's business is a bit unfair considering you don't know anything about me other than what i have said here. Personally i try and act online as i would if we were all sitting in the pub together so all I’m really doing here is venting about something that upset me and seeking some other viewpoints about it

OP has never posted in this forum until now........ and his first post is an allegation against a business owner (its obvious who he is talking about there isn't many second hand bookshops in waterford). I am going to say that OP is a troll, making stuipd allegations from a conversation he was eavesdropping into and just overall doesnt' sound very believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Out of curiosity, did you confront him on his alleged choice of words?.if I had a transgender sibling as you said you have, I like to think I would,I probably would transgender sibling or not.
    I'll admit,i have a problem here with one person publishing something without any backing which could be very damaging for accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Comments similar to OP’s appear as a review on a Facebook page of a business in town. I have no knowledge of this business but the review appears to contrast strongly with all the others on the page.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you confront him on his alleged choice of words?.if I had a transgender sibling as you said you have, I like to think I would,I probably would transgender sibling or not.
    I'll admit,i have a problem here with one person publishing something without any backing which could be very damaging for accused.

No i did not confront him for several reasons i was very angry at the time and decided to way away also i have social anxiety so confronting someone in public is never fun for me.

I dont get why you think it would have been ok for me to confront him in person, in public, in his shop but not ok to try and confront the problem online when i have calmed down some.

I get a lot of people here think i am lying but try and give me some good and fate and assume good intent. I am telling the truth about happened It would be pretty easy to find out who i really am so if anybody here really thinks that i am slandering this man then why would you not go to the guards?

I feel like maybe some of you are friends with this man and if so please do encourage him to come on here and explain what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

OP has never posted in this forum until now........ and his first post is an allegation against a business owner (its obvious who he is talking about there isn't many second hand bookshops in waterford). I am going to say that OP is a troll, making stuipd allegations from a conversation he was eavesdropping into and just overall doesnt' sound very believable.

That's a strange conclusion to come to isn't it? Post count does not correlate with credibility in any way. Look at all the crap that people here spout on about this that and the other and they have 10000+ posts to their name.

I would be more inclined to believe the OP rather than disbelieve them. I also never knew there was a second hand bookshop in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Where are all these second hand bookshops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭gw80

Where are all these second hand bookshops?

Maybe the op is opening his own one and is trying to eliminate the competition.

The evil genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

If only there was some way of finding oot where all these second hand bookshops are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

No i did not confront him for several reasons i was very angry at the time and decided to way away also i have social anxiety so confronting someone in public is never fun for me.

I dont get why you think it would have been ok for me to confront him in person, in public, in his shop but not ok to try and confront the problem online when i have calmed down some.

I wouldn't say your not telling the truth but i dont think you can say this is confronting the problem. How can you be confronting the problem when the person you have the problem with, in all probability hasn't a clue there is a thread about him. Maybe ask someone to have a word with him if you cant yourself.

Advertisement