Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost in Space (Netflix) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

5 episodes in and it has gotten better - the initial episode was a major dud and needed way better visual flair, pacing, character development, etc.

But while I know every show needs a villian, the 'pantomine' Dr Smith villian in this is utterly ridiculous. We're stranded on the cusp of death 600 million light years from home but of course, rather than repent and adapt this former lowlife criminal has to continue her ways and undermine everything for absolutely zero credible reason whatsoever, contextually or otherwise.

Could've been brilliant and stood alongside the likes of Battlestar and The Expanse, but instead they chose to massively ham it up and it suffers. Still very watchable and entertaining but falls way short of what it easily could've been. I can see why younger audiences would love it though.

The reason I bailed on episode 2 , I could see it coming. No reason to screw that guy over for a flare. Ok they had to carry a lady but still how could she know she'd do better on her own? You've no food at least steal the chicken ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Anyone who thinks Posey Parker's Dr Smith is dangerously irrational to an unrealistic degree has clearly never met my sister.

I've enjoyed it, it got better as it went along, I'm looking forward to season 2. It cleared the nasty taste of Altered Carbon's woefulness out of my mouth, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I’m only 4 episodes in and Penny is my favorite. The most realistic character and a great sense of humor.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and the original was pure sh1te. :D No really try and force your way through one episode. Hokey 60's tat without the brains or heart of a Star Trek.

Blasphemy blasphemy . Oh the pain, the pain.

Silence you ninny! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blasphemy blasphemy . Oh the pain, the pain.

Silence you ninny! :pac:

What's that saying, if you remember it you weren't there or something like that. I think the original has that oldy worldy charm, Dr Smith was a good character - Mr Irwin had a great mind for scifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Oh and the original was pure sh1te. :D No really try and force your way through one episode. Hokey 60's tat without the brains or heart of a Star Trek.

i thought it was quite intense as a 6 year old :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode last night and I really enjoyed it; definitely one of Netflix's flashier and more openly cinematic of pilot episodes (it was directed by Neil Marshall, veteran of many movies, and currently directing the new Hellboy film). It looked fantastic and as if an fortune was spent on it.

Like others, I hold no love for the original show & even as a kid found it inane, so I'm watching the show without any preconceptions or bias. The family unit had just the right amount of strife and cracks across its facade, with plenty of open wounds/questions that I look forward to being explored.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The family unit had just the right amount of strife and cracks across its facade, with plenty of open wounds/questions that I look forward to being explored.

I wouldn't want Eastenders in Space either :pac: , the show sounds good though must check it out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is it the case that the robot imprinted on the boy when he put it back together? I was only half watching the episode - I saw him cut it out of the tree and the next thing was they were rescuing the family. Obviously I missed several minutes in between and I could go back and watch it but I'm not particularly inclined to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Nooooooooooooo, as a child of the 1950's I adored it, though to be honest I was watching it from behind the sofa. It was so scary.

Not taken with this new version yet. Only two episodes in and it's a bit meh.

i watched the first episode last night, there is certainly enough to bring me back, the flash backs are intriguing. not gone on the over achieving teenagers, and of course what i assume is the inevitable sex change of Dr Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

I finished it the other night. I watched over 2 days. By and large I thought it was pretty good. Definitely too slow starting out. I think it’s a show that rewards a binge watch as the way the flashbacks were structured would have you confused on a weekly firmat.

I liked the characters in general but I think the resentment from the family towards the dad was a bit overdone. I found myself several t8mes thinking “we know dad fücked off to active service instead of staying home but just leave it now.” It’s very much a family show with the stuff you’d expect being aimed at that demographic. I found that once I got to so 5 I got sucked in and wanted to see what happens. I think the show picked up pace from there.
    I thought the final ep unraveled the whole thing though. There were signs earlier after Will dumoed the robot off the cliff, wasn’t too pushed but then got all pissy once he found Dr Smith had resurrected it. Annoying!

The set up at the end made no sense. Everybody got back to the Resolute bar our heroes. Time was of the essence but nobody on Jupiter 2 told the resolute about the two guys floating in space. Why solve that whole thing by yourself? Surely the resolute could have picked up the guys itself or deployed a ship to help? Dr Smith read that big manual awfully quickly didn’t she? Dr Smith’s change of heart with the harpoon I liked. I thought it added to her complexity as a character. Lastly the robot reverting to Will’s buddy for no apparent reason was a bit hard to take. The Resolute showing up anyway out of the blue was pants.
    Overall a great build up but that final episode just pîssed away a lot of that. It was a shame. I’m still interested in S2 but nowhere near as enthusiastic as I was for S1 this time last week.

a minor point but in the first episode it started raining as the temperature were supposed to be falling to minus 40?

silverharp wrote: »
    a minor point but in the first episode it started raining as the temperature were supposed to be falling to minus 40?

That bugged me too but I assumed it was freezing rain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Squonk, please spoiler the plot developments. Not everybody is watching at the same pace and for courtesy could you grey out the bigger parts.

• Advertisement

Squonk, please spoiler the plot developments. Not everybody is watching at the same pace and for courtesy could you grey out the bigger parts.

I’m on mobile so can’t however I must say that I dont frequent these threads if I’m in the process of watching a box set show like this. I think it’s a reasonable expectation there’ll be spoilers. Also those of us on mobile suffer because of spoiler tags. We can’t read them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

squonk wrote: »
    I finished it the other night. I watched over 2 days. By and large I thought it was pretty good. Definitely too slow starting out. I think it’s a show that rewards a binge watch as the way the flashbacks were structured would have you confused on a weekly firmat.

I liked the characters in general but I think the resentment from the family towards the dad was a bit overdone. I found myself several t8mes thinking “we know dad fücked off to active service instead of staying home but just leave it now.” It’s very much a family show with the stuff you’d expect being aimed at that demographic. I found that once I got to so 5 I got sucked in and wanted to see what happens. I think the show picked up pace from there.
    I thought the final ep unraveled the whole thing though. There were signs earlier after Will dumoed the robot off the cliff, wasn’t too pushed but then got all pissy once he found Dr Smith had resurrected it. Annoying!

The set up at the end made no sense. Everybody got back to the Resolute bar our heroes. Time was of the essence but nobody on Jupiter 2 told the resolute about the two guys floating in space. Why solve that whole thing by yourself? Surely the resolute could have picked up the guys itself or deployed a ship to help? Dr Smith read that big manual awfully quickly didn’t she? Dr Smith’s change of heart with the harpoon I liked. I thought it added to her complexity as a character. Lastly the robot reverting to Will’s buddy for no apparent reason was a bit hard to take. The Resolute showing up anyway out of the blue was pants.

Overall a great build up but that final episode just ped away a lot of that. It was a shame. I’m still interested in S2 but nowhere near as enthusiastic as I was for S1 this time last week.

Well that spoilt that.

I’m on mobile so can’t however I must say that I dont frequent these threads if I’m in the process of watching a box set show like this. I think it’s a reasonable expectation there’ll be spoilers. Also those of us on mobile suffer because of spoiler tags. We can’t read them.

I think it's equally reasonable that people will watch the show at their own pace, and within a certain timeframe it's fair that others acknowledge this and spoiler-text out later developments - ESPECIALLY if it's an overall review of the series as a whole

The show is barely out a week and a bit, it's utterly unfair to assume everyone has the time or preference to binge-watch - however they MAY want to drop into the thread and add thoughts as they watch, or just see what others are thinking of the show so far.

I've spoiler-texted your comments, even though you've spoiled the end for me anyway. So thanks for that :)

Mod note: I've also added spoilers to the thread title, but I would ask other people to use common sense here and if they're talking about important twists, developments or later events to maybe think on using spoiler-text for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

4 episodes in now and I've definitely warmed to it. The family are all quite interesting, and the dynamic of the family is good, but the addition of Don has helped bring it on a lot - it can't just be John that's not a super genius. They're also doing a very nice job of building something that is it's own thing but is still reminiscent of the original series. I enjoyed them putting up the fence for instance. It's not an in your face "we're remaking LiS" moment but it's a nice call back. The
    relationship between Smith, Will and the Robot too
    ... it's not as it was in the original but it's not a million miles away either. It's all familiar, yet different. I like it.

People use the mobile version? Screw that, full version on mobile is fine

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    4 eps in with my 2 ten-year-olds. They love it. It's good to see a program like this which is suitable to watch with kids. There are not too many of them around.
    Yeah my kids have enjoyed it so far. I keep waiting for Toby Stephens character to go all Captain Flint on the robot but then I remind myself that this isn't for the same audience as Black Sails.

Bacchus wrote: »
    They're also doing a very nice job of building something that is it's own thing but is still reminiscent of the original series. I enjoyed them putting up the fence for instance. It's not an in your face "we're remaking LiS" moment but it's a nice call back. The
    relationship between Smith, Will and the Robot too
    ... it's not as it was in the original but it's not a million miles away either. It's all familiar, yet different. I like it.
    There are a few nice touches that reference the original series. For instance when Will is training the robot, he asks it to raise each of its arms and feet, the same interaction takes place between Dr. Smith and the robot in the pilot of the original series.

Talisman wrote: »
    There are a few nice touches that reference the original series. For instance when Will is training the robot, he asks it to raise each of its arms and feet, the same interaction takes place between Dr. Smith and the robot in the pilot of the original series.

And the chariot... some assembly required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Show started off way too slow, but it developed well enough over the following few episodes. Actors by and large are decent, effects and pace are good. Thought the last episode was a bit poor though and quite a let down.

However, what really irritated me throughout the entire thing was the 'villian for the sake of having a villian', Dr. Smith. Absolutely atrocious pantomine character.

I wish they'd just left it as a survivalist sci-fi adventure....or at least given Dr. Smith some sort of half reasonable/credible motive. She drags the entire thing down several pegs for me.

All in all, I'd say it's not particularly good but it has moments and it's easy to watch. Could've easily been a lot better I feel which is what always frustrates me about medicore shows that have so much potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Show started off way too slow, but it developed well enough over the following few episodes. Actors by and large are decent, effects and pace are good. Thought the last episode was a bit poor though and quite a let down.

However, what really irritated me throughout the entire thing was the 'villian for the sake of having a villian', Dr. Smith. Absolutely atrocious pantomine character.

I wish they'd just left it as a survivalist sci-fi adventure....or at least given Dr. Smith some sort of half reasonable/credible motive. She drags the entire thing down several pegs for me.

All in all, I'd say it's not particularly good but it has moments and it's easy to watch. Could've easily been a lot better I feel which is what always frustrates me about medicore shows that have so much potential.
    Agreed on Dr. Smith, kill her off in ep2 of season 2 and I'll be happy. I enjoyed the family dynamic, and the characters grew on me as the episodes went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lost in Space,” one of Netflix’s newest high-profile original series, drew 6.3 million U.S. viewers within the first three days of its release earlier this month, according to Nielsen.

In addition, in the first 72 hours of release (April 13-15) of all 10 epsiodes, “Lost in Space” viewers on average watched the show for 2.5 hours, per Nielsen. The media-measurement firm found the series was heavily binged — with almost 1.2 million people having watched the series’ final episode within those three days.

By comparison, the “Stranger Things” season 2 premiere episode average 15.8 million viewers from Oct. 27-29, while 11 million U.S. viewers who watched Netflix’s “Bright” during its first three days of release, according to Nielsen.

Famously, Netflix doesn’t release viewing metrics, holding such data close to its vest — leaving third parties like Nielsen to try to estimate demand. Netflix has pointed out that Nielsen’s estimates cover only the U.S. and only tracks viewership on connected TVs (excluding mobile devices and computers). The Nielsen SVOD Content Ratings, launched last fall, extrapolate viewership using audio-recognition technology that “listens” to what viewers are watching on TV.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/lost-in-space-netflix-ratings-nielsen-1202785547/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Enjoyed the first episode but didn't realise the second is an ad for Oreos.

budhabob wrote: »
    Agreed on Dr. Smith, kill her off in ep2 of season 2 and I'll be happy. I enjoyed the family dynamic, and the characters grew on me as the episodes went on.

Same here. I'm on episode 6... or 7 and her scenes are the only ones that I find dragging. The episodes are probably a tad long anyway but anything with Dr. Smith is just not enjoyable to watch. She's a pointless character and is manipulating people in an unbelievable way. It's like anything she says or does is just taken for granted and not an eyebrow ever raised. At least
    Don is on to her now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

from watching the pilot have they not turned this into BSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Watched this.

Biggest fault is "Dr Smith". No depth to the character and highly unsophisticated. Just becomes a drag.

Best part is the robot (very clever form when it is angry).

It was ok and I will give S2 a chance. It needs to improve though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

On episode 6

Agree with most people here, can’t stand dr Smith, EVERY scene with her is a pain

just the last episode to go , its enjoyable enough family viewing and the back story fill ins and twists add a bit of depth. They need to write better characters though, its like they need to appeal to everyone so they end up being watered down. As for Dr Smith, I cant see any plausible way of reeling her back in , she has crossed too many lines and has no skills to offer the group, she just drags the whole show down.
    Obviously curious about the big picture, do they stay on the planet or do they find a new one, will the next series be planet based or ship based?

Finished it yesterday, and I really enjoyed it start-to-finish; to paraphrase comments elsewhere on Boards, it was all bracingly simple and straightforward - and I mean that in a good way. There were no Mystery Boxes, no contrived twists, just a solid series of relatable, immediate problems that the cast needed to solve. They even skirted the temptation to wedge in some factional conflict, keeping the differences of opinion professional rather than weighty or personal, with the obvious exception of Dr. Smith. The Robinsons themselves were charismatic and likeable, with only Will perhaps occasionally straining ones patience. The 2 sisters gelled well, while the parents' butting of heads never got in the way of the crises, but gave them more depth than being perfect generic parents. Don worked well too, even if he was a blatant Han Solo riff.

As for "Dr. Smith" herself, I warmed to her by the end, more-so once the truth of her presence was known to the other characters; that let her just be the scheming antagonist in the open. Until that point, my main problem was the writing allowed the audience know more than the characters for too long, dragging out Smith's manipulation of the other Jupiter crews to the point where I was almost screaming at the screen.

Still though, quite excited for a Season 2; hopefully they keep the budget & production design too, 'cos the show looked great (sounded great too - they really made use of a classic, 'adventure' themed orchestral score)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Finished this last night and I have to agree with previous posters re Dr Smith, I really didn't understand her motives at all, she sabotaged John's launch in order to kidnap Maureen to help her get the robot's ship working so she could get back to the Resolute? Like, what!? Why? I also find the relationship between Don and Judy a little creepy, just a bit too flirty given the age difference.

Overall though I enjoyed and I'm hopeful for the next season. I've never seen the original series so I don't really know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Just finished the final episode. Great show and I'm looking forward to season 2.

I noticed a couple of negative comments above about Dr. Smith. I think she is great. I like that they haven't rushed to explain what is going on in her noggin.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    Finished this last night and I have to agree with previous posters re Dr Smith, I really didn't understand her motives at all, she sabotaged John's launch in order to kidnap Maureen to help her get the robot's ship working so she could get back to the Resolute? Like, what!? Why? I also find the relationship between Don and Judy a little creepy, just a bit too flirty given the age difference.

Overall though I enjoyed and I'm hopeful for the next season. I've never seen the original series so I don't really know what to expect.

Dr. Smith didn't sabotaged John and Don's flight at all. When she is telling Maureen that John is dead, Smith says she didn't know that they needed her guidance just at that moment. She needed the launch to succeed too so the Resolute wouldn't leave.

I don't recall if Smith was planning on flying out in the alien ship, but her primary interest in it was getting Robot to wake up.

I was getting a bit creeped out by Judy and Don's relationship too because of the age gap, but actually there is no romantic or sexual aspect to it at all. I think I was seeing it simply because Judy and Don in the previous version were paired together. Although I have been reminded that in the original show that relationship was dropped.

Other than the character names (and Jupiter 2 and chariot), Will being highly intelligent and his friendship with Robot the show is nothing like the original to the best of my memory so I don't think there are going to be any clues from that about future seasons.

Penny had a pet space monkey (which was just a monkey) in the original so I think they'll brink in a creature of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

silverharp wrote: »
    Obviously curious about the big picture, do they stay on the planet or do they find a new one, will the next series be planet based or ship based?

I'm hoping it is a mix of ship based and planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭Glebee

3 episodes in and really enjoying this. Good character intetaction and back story developing i think. Noting too taxing, just stick it on and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished up Season 1. Its was harmless enough in the end. Alright but not great. Am sort of surprised it got a second season. It aint no Battlestar Galactica thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The cast and crew will be at New York comic convention on October 5th with a first look at season 2. Presumably a release date will be announced along with a trailer.

Man, it feels like more than a year since this came out; there was so little news on a season 2, I'd kinda just assumed Netflix quietly killed the show. Not like they don't have form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looking forward to it, was a very underrated show first time around, which knowing Netflix means it'll probably get cancelled after this run, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm going to have to rewatch the first season before Christmas to remind myself what happened.

Another trailer, and it looks epic; some spectacular FX that wouldn't look out of place in a movie. Given how few waves season 1 made though, I'm presuming this will be the last season TBH:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Given how few waves season 1 made though, I'm presuming this will be the last season TBH:

Hope not, I loved the first season, would be great if this lasted a couple more.

looks better than Disney Star Wars

The new season of this has dropped today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blooper in episode 2 -
    they show the broken ladder scattered on the alien ship before it gets broken

"7 months later", aka, how the production gets around a growth spurt :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement