Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They have redirected met.ie now to www2.metweb.ie which is hosted on a different IP but still in the UK with Linode!

Not sure why they can't add the older radar images to new site as temporary work around while they sort out the load issues on the new radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Discodog wrote: »
    Wtf haven't they put an apology & link to the old site

They have a link to old site on the new site, the one mentioned a few posts ago.
    To facilitate the transition to our new website our old website is still available here archive.met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Reviews of the new 'progressive' app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fusio.meteireann&hl=en&showAllReviews=true

It seems this is a disaster all round, with the app, much like the website, being totally Dublincentric, despite locations being adjusted.

The phrase 'Only in Ireland' springs readily to mind.

New Moon

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Thanks everyone for all your comments and feedback. We have read them all. Please keep them coming. We're working our way through the launch difficulties and hope to have everything sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Reviews of the new 'progressive' app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fusio.meteireann&hl=en&showAllReviews=true

It seems this is a disaster all round, with the app, much like the website, being totally Dublincentric, despite locations being adjusted.

The phrase 'Only in Ireland' springs readily to mind.

No mate, that's quite clearly a bug.

The homepage is map/radar centric. You click somewhere on the map and it gives you the forecast for that location. It's pretty good actually.

But in absence of the map, it's just defaulting to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

gabeeg wrote: »
    No mate, that's quite clearly a bug.

The homepage is map/radar centric. You click somewhere on the map and it gives you the forecast for that location. It's pretty good actually.

But in absence of the map, it's just defaulting to Dublin.

What maps? As I clearly pointed out yesterday, and showed evidence of, even on the 'current conditions' page, it defaults to Dublin.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

gabeeg wrote: »
    So they've been sitting on an unwieldy piece of crap for 12 years. When it's crap like that you have to throw money, people and time at it just to keep it to the same level of crap while browser technology moves on.

Problem with new generation of people like you is that you need continuous stimulation and static functional data source won't satisfy you if it is not filled with "exiting" features like that:

metie.png

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Having problems with both the iphone app and chrome website.

Temperature forecast map not very user friendly. The map goes oddly green and some of the temperatures are hidden under other layers, so you can see the top of a C or a W but not the figure. Especially when you zoom in, the map can be blank and the temperature does not resize to fit the zoom. The temperatures also seem wrong, up to 8 C differences between different parts of the country at the same time. On the iphone the temperatures all seemed to be shifted north for some reason, must be to do with the zoom.

And Moorepark is all one word, not Moore Park. Check the OS maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Clamball wrote: »
    Having problems with both the iphone app and chrome website.

Temperature forecast map not very user friendly. The map goes oddly green and some of the temperatures are hidden under other layers, so you can see the top of a C or a W but not the figure. Especially when you zoom in, the map can be blank and the temperature does not resize to fit the zoom. The temperatures also seem wrong, up to 8 C differences between different parts of the country at the same time. On the iphone the temperatures all seemed to be shifted north for some reason, must be to do with the zoom.

iirc I reported problems with that page not long after the Beta went live, from what I can see its a total disaster. When I move the time scale slider the temps move to different locations and some of them on the edge of the land mass on the map can't be read at all.

The colour scale is also part of the disaster can anyone see the difference between the colour for 6, 8 or 10 degrees?

Chrome on a PC.

• Advertisement

Here's a bug that "should" be easy to fix.

Chrome on a PC and using a mouse.

On the Forecasts, and any of the Forecast pages if the mouse is on the map and I scroll the map changes resolution.

On the Latest Reports, Rainfall Radar page if the mouse is on the map and I scroll the map the page scrolls.

One or the other is correct but not both.

I prefer not to change resolution with the scroll wheel on the mouse as if you aren't thinking (me much of the time) you end up zooming in on a random part of the map and then have to waste time finding the area you are interested in.

Edit> Another "feature" that I bothered to take the time to report on the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

my3cents wrote: »
    iirc I reported problems with that page not long after the Beta went live, from what I can see its a total disaster. When I move the time scale slider the temps move to different locations and some of them on the edge of the land mass on the map can't be read at all.

The colour scale is also part of the disaster can anyone see the difference between the colour for 6, 8 or 10 degrees?

Chrome on a PC.

No less than thirty different colour shades used for the temperature map of Ireland. Way too many and makes for an overly complicated picture and quite difficult to discern exactly which shades represent specific temperatures.

30740321_10213283279608780_5206682599744864256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ba7dbae0f6e35b873b8481605a3db88a&oe=5B59B1F3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

That's the same scale as the old site.

That's the same scale as the old site.

Fair enough but not really an issue on the old small maps where they provided an overview of temperature. Now you can zoom in on the map you can loose that overview so the scale becomes more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    What maps? As I clearly pointed out yesterday, and showed evidence of, even on the 'current conditions' page, it defaults to Dublin.

Have a look now

I wonder will National Warnings be prominently displayed as the occur. It was hard to miss them on the old site but as I see it on the new site you have to go looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If its Moorepark, Fermoy you are referring to, its one word.
    http://www.moorepark.ie/contact

The rainfall radar is back and at five minute intervals now. It seems that it will also incorporate lightning from now on which is cool.

I found scrolling down on my phone yesterday was difficult as it started scrolling within the map.

I do miss the Atlantic charts - they were easy to get the gist of upcoming weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The rainfall radar is back and at five minute intervals now. It seems that it will also incorporate lightning from now on which is cool.

I found scrolling down on my phone yesterday was difficult as it started scrolling within the map.

I do miss the Atlantic charts - they were easy to get the gist of upcoming weather.

Had the same problem with my phone as well, older one was much better for the phone .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Any way to link directly to the location based forecast? I'd like to put it up on a digital noticeboard. Not sure if the site will render on the noticeboard of course but would like to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Had the same problem with my phone as well, older one was much better for the phone .

The older radar is way better on the phone. It needs to be easy to read especially in outdoor light & be zoomable to full page & bigger. ME should put themselves in the position of someone with a phone trying to work out when & if rain or a shower will hit their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Firstly, I appreciate the effort to update the site. Some of the changes could be very useful, but I have some issues with it.

Firstly, the design looks outdated to me. It looks like a WordPress site from 2009, and it doesn't really scream "the ultimate weather site". Some amateur forecasters on here have better looking websites, and that's not a good thing. :)

I don't really like the layout either. The old site was fantastic for quickly glancing at the forecast was, with more detail available on other pages if you needed it. Logging onto the new site, I immediately have to scroll/click around to see any useful information other than the rainfall radar. It slows me down, and it feels like a lot of wasted space.

Also... "www2.metweb.ie" looks odd and outdated. You have a great, simple domain name "met.ie", and if you're dropping that, it's a shame.

The Map
    - Please let me use the scroll wheel on it (and make it 'pinchable' on mobile). To have to drag it around, then move the mouse up to the +/- buttons for zooming is annoying.
    - Please don't move/zoom the map back to its default position when I change what kind of weather I'm viewing. If I'm looking at the temperature for a certain area, then want to see the rainfall forecast, I have to zoom all the way back in again.
    - I can't easily read the temperature map. The color shades are still too close together to easily read them, and the temperature numbers go off the screen when I zoom in to the map. How about a feature where, when you mouse over a certain area, it shows the temperature in a tooltip? Or outline the boundaries and show the temperature numbers along the boundaries like on the isobars map?
    - The wind map doesn't really give much information. You could be doing something cool and visually informative like this, but with numbers when you mouseover: https://earth.nullschool.net
    - Can you give an option to turn off things like roads, rivers, forests, etc.? I really just want to see the location of towns and /maybe/ county boundaries. It's very visually busy at the moment.
    - Does the predicted weather type show up on the rainfall radar like on netweather? Blue for rain, red for snow etc.?
    - I don't know about the "jumpy" nature of the seek bar. It takes a few seconds of waiting to be able to tell whether or not the thing is actually playing through the animation.
    - The fading between different hours makes it difficult to see how things are moving. It was very clear on the old maps.
    - I really miss the ability to quickly scroll through the animation by just moving the mouse, like on the old site. It was extremely intuitive: http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Weather Warnings
    - Do weather warnings still show up on the front page? The "There are no warnings" thing on the old site was reassuring. Now I feel like I have to manually go into the weather warnings page to make sure.

Forecast
    - I really like the idea of this overall. The icons look a bit strange and cartoony to me though.
    - I don't like how the scale in the scrolling thing will suddenly change halfway through a day. It's a bit confusing. More delineation between short-range/long-range would be nice.
    - I LOVE the temperature and precipitation visualizations. This is the best new thing about the site.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too negative.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't like constantly being nagged by the app to turn on my location settings. Can you not just change the location manually like on the old app?
    I want to see the rainfall radar over the whole map of Ireland to get a proper picture of it, not just one small patch of the country. The automatic zooming in really bugs me. :/

I checked the website and app at 8.10am and it told me the 'current conditions' as of 7am. Not exactly very up to date!

Are there any other weather apps that have a rainfall radar or is met eireann the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Temperatures are hidden by motorway indicators.

The graphics could move forward a bit faster, otherwise not a bad site. Certainly beats their RTE map.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

MetEireann wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your comments and feedback. We have read them all. Please keep them coming. We're working our way through the launch difficulties and hope to have everything sorted soon.

Have you made sure that the app/website works for people with disabilities, and for older people too?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Have you made sure that the app/website works for people with disabilities, and for older people too?
    That's a pretty broad question. What disabilities have you in mind? How do you define "older" and in what way do "older" people need to have an app or website customised for their needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lissavane wrote: »
    That's a pretty broad question. What disabilities have you in mind? How do you define "older" and in what way do "older" people need to have an app or website customised for their needs?

Well, the Disability Act sets out legal obligations on public bodies to provide services that can be used by people with "enduring physical, sensory, mental health or intellectual impairment" so that would be a good starting point. I'd probably add autism to that list now too.

I wouldn't expect an app/website to be customised for the needs of older people. I'd expect it to be designed to work for everybody, including older people. So that would include people with poor eyesight and hearing, poor fine motor control. A good round of user testing with selected users would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ooohhhh I like the new app
    The new detailed forecast is like yr.no and the rainfall predictive sequence like the met Office
    Along with the rainfall radar it is a nice little package now .
    Hopefully it actually works and is reasonably accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Love the new app. Works well on iPhone. Radar is very good with easy zoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What do you have in mind to make the app workable for people with mental difficulties for example? To be honest, the app and website are no more difficult to use than any other app or website, so I think they're fairly covered there.

Advertisement