Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Sad indeed. I only heard him once, and he was quote superb.

That he was , he always reminded me of Alfredo Krauss in that both stuck to a limited repertoire that they knew they were masters at and seemed content to just give great performances ( except for the mad years with Dmitri ) within that repertoire .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wexoperafan

I'll second that !!
    And she was a delight at the Troyens talk and signing in Foyles on Sunday too.
    A great weekend over all :)

Wex

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Just a reminder that La Scala are doing cinema broadcasts now and next up is Andrea Chenier next Thursday December 28th at 8pm . I know the Omniplex chain are showing it . A nice relaxing break between Christmas and New Year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

I have tickets for the Marriage of Figaro.
    I can understand that initially they're redressing an imbalance, but I hope that eventually they won't limit themselves to Irish singers.

• Advertisement

I can understand that initially they're redressing an imbalance, but I hope that eventually they won't limit themselves to Irish singers.

I would second that, but I would say a company of this size needs to have repertory theatre company approach, with regular singers taking on roles across the repertoire. Of course they have to be up to the task. It would be good if this company becomes a vehicle for young irish singers to develop their careers, we don't need to be parochial but we do need to be supportive of our emerging talent.

It is a positive move and at least we can say we now have some domestic opera that is not just Wexford Festival, mind you I do think we should not escape the fact to the incredible job that has been done by Opera Theatre Company over the years working on a shoestring. That company and everyone associated with it needs to be truly commended.

Anyone going to the ROH Cinema broadcast of Tosca tonight, would highly recommend it, saw the cast on tonight at the ROH last Saturday, I am growing to like the production after the loss of the "Callas" production, although I don't like the insipid colour of Toscas dress in Acts 2 and 3 - keep Callas's famous Red Dress for drama on stage.

The Te Deum at the end of the first act works really well with the split level stage, not sure how this will come across in the cinema but it allowed Scarpia to take a central front position for that great first act finale, with the Te Deum ringing out above his head.

So often performed it rarely fails to move me. If you go enjoy it, this is a good cast, not sure I will make the effort to go to cinema tonight having just seen it live last Saturday. But worth going to!

check this out for the act 1 te deum from this production http://www.roh.org.uk/news/tosca-musical-highlight-the-te-deum

oh well just adding to this post, the satellite feed from the ROH failed to come through in Sligo - anyone else have a problem?

Just listening to Matthew Polenzani as Nemorino in L'elisir d'amore from the Met, my goodness he really is a good tenor! We seem to be blessed with a fine generation of tenors at the moment, Kaufmann (absolute top of the pile) Juan Diego (a total dream in bel canto roles), Calleja (his Rodolfo and Cavaradossi at ROH were superb) Fabiano (wonderful Verdi tenor) I have missed Polenzani appearances at the ROH he is doing Rodolfo at the ROH in June unfortunately I really didn't like the new production but would consider going again with this guy singing. He really is a wow! His Una Furtiva deserved the ovation it got.

We seem to be hitting a golden age again for top class international tenors, Anymore to add to the list?

OMG did anyone go to Tosca last night at the Bord Gais. The one woman show with Celine Byrne in title role, to her credit she nailed the Vissi Darte and gave a very good performance but this is the last time I go to one of these russian import productions.

I didn't buy a ten euro programme, so not got his name, but hoping the tenor could be executed immediately after his first aria sums it up. In 45 years of opera going I have had 3 nights when I have longed for the premature death of the tenor. Last night was that third night. Dreadful, out of key did not hit a single note, when he needed to raise the volume literally shouted out of tune from the stage, and people clapped him. I was there with a friend of mine who is polite to say the least. Had I been on my own they would have heard me shout he's bloody useless get him off the stage after Recondita Arrmonia it was simply awful, dreadful, they should have given us our money back. Celine Byrne is doing herself no favours professionally associating herself with such a poor support cast. The Scarpia was at most competent. It was an interesting night but in truth an absolute waste of money!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

If you wanted to introduce opera to an 11 year old, what operas would you suggest that would hook him ?

I'm not sure if bringing him to a cinema to watch an opera would have the desired effect ?

• Advertisement

Mumha wrote: »
    If you wanted to introduce opera to an 11 year old, what operas would you suggest that would hook him ?

I'm not sure if bringing him to a cinema to watch an opera would have the desired effect ?

I don't think you can go wrong with Carmen - tuneful and colourful.

I don't think you can go wrong with Carmen - tuneful and colourful.
    !

Long opera for an 11 year old and IMO a basket case of an opera! A few years ago I took my young son to an OTC production of Magic Flute it was delightful he really enjoyed it.

But take any heed of my advice, my parents took me to see Elektra when I was ten and look how I turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

westtip wrote: »
    OMG did anyone go to Tosca last night at the Bord Gais. The one woman show with Celine Byrne in title role, to her credit she nailed the Vissi Darte and gave a very good performance but this is the last time I go to one of these russian import productions.

Sounds dreadful. What amazes me is how docile Irish audiences are when it comes to indifferent or even poor performances. Quite often I am the only one who stays sitting at the end of concerts in the NCH while the rest of the audience gives a rousing standing ovation. It's not that I thought the performances were bad, but very rarely have I experienced something special enough to bring me to my feet. Mostly, it seems Irish audiences are excited by mediocrity.

I try to avoid live opera since a performance of Tosca years ago in Dublin which was set in Nazi Germany, with jackbooted soldiers marching around the stage toting machine guns. The singing was fine, but visually it reminded me of Springtime for Hitler.

Why do producers think it's OK to take such liberties with the staging while the music is sacrosanct?

Finally, if that tenor at the Bord Gais theatre had been singing in La Scala he would have been booed off the stage.

Sounds dreadful. What amazes me is how docile Irish audiences are when it comes to indifferent or even poor performances. Quite often I am the only one who stays sitting at the end of concerts in the NCH while the rest of the audience gives a rousing standing ovation. It's not that I thought the performances were bad, but very rarely have I experienced something special enough to bring me to my feet. Mostly, it seems Irish audiences are excited by mediocrity.

In Ireland, a pianist who can walk from the wings to the piano without tripping up like Norman Wisdom gets a standing ovation. I can't remember the last time I went to a concert which didn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

!

Long opera for an 11 year old and IMO a basket case of an opera! A few years ago I took my young son to an OTC production of Magic Flute it was delightful he really enjoyed it.

But take any heed of my advice, my parents took me to see Elektra when I was ten and look how I turned out

Indeed ! Thanks for the Magic Flute recommendation. I see Cavalleria Rusticana is in the Cork Opera House at the end of March, would that be bringing him to also ?

The Mikado is in the COH next September. He's already learned a lot of The Pirates of Penzance's Major General, so he already likes G&S.

Lets hope they steer clear of Russian tenors who may be staying on to claim operatic asylum! .

I took a look at tickets yesterday they need to do some marketing it is hopelessly undersold, if they can't sell Figaro what hope do they have

Mind you €86 a pop plus the ticketmaster rip off on top makes them expensive, for best seats; even at €51 for the cheap tickets in Valhalla plus ticket master its pricey. I wish them well but it looks like its not going to fill up no need to rush for tickets yet....If I was going the performance in Wexford has more appeal lovely house for Figaro and ticket prices for some reason you can sit in the stalls at Wexford for €49 and no ticket master rip off. I would be heading down the N11 on Friday 13th to see it if I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

In Ireland, a pianist who can walk from the wings to the piano without tripping up like Norman Wisdom gets a standing ovation. I can't remember the last time I went to a concert which didn't get one.

I think Irish people feel that if they stand and clap endlessly they can convince themselves that they were indeed at a great performance. The harsh truth is that Irish audiences are unsophisticated, easily pleased, and they dont know a lot about what they were listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Hansel and Gretel is worth taking an 11 year old to. Much of German/Nordic Europe takes their children to it in December where it is part of the seasonal landscape. I always enjoy it myself.

I think Irish people feel that if they stand and clap endlessly they can convince themselves that they were indeed at a great performance. The harsh truth is that Irish audiences are unsophisticated, easily pleased, and they dont know a lot about what they were listening to.

The audience at Tosca last night were clueless in the main, yes some stood at the end to give an ovation, I couldn't quite believe it, pity Cavardossi wasn't shot in the church early on; worst tenor I have heard in 40 years. I am in therapy as a result, simply dreadful! Celine Byrne is not doing herself any favours performing with these Russian companies.

Seen no reviews of that dreadful Tosca in any of the main papers but this one is pretty scathing on line, the emboldened line re Cavaradossi is to put it mildly pretty much as it was, should not be allowed on a professional operatic stage would be my view!

https://nomoreworkhorse.com/2018/03/16/tosca-bord-gais-energy-theatre-review/
    The standard of singing wasn’t, however, quite in par with the visual element of the production. Tenor Fyodor Ataskevich seemed quite attuned to the role of Tosca’s lover, Cavaradossi; but his singing was uneven and the high pitches required in the main arias weren’t handled very strongly.

Baritone Alexander Kuznetsov, as the evil chief of police Scarpia, distinguished himself for the most correct Italian pronunciation among the cast. On the other hand he lacked the impetus of this very distinctive character, with his voice remaining rather atonic for most of the performance, exception made for some rare moments during the famous duet with Tosca in the second act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Hansel and Gretel was fantastic in the Wexford Opera Festival a couple of years ago the amount of children and teenagers that watched it and enjoyed it was great. Its what the various Opera groups need to do more get younger people into the genre and try to beat the perception that its for "old people".

Every year I hear that at Wexford (because I'm so young looking compared to the general audience people are surprise to see me there).

The Nozze di Figaro is getting a good push in the media any plans from anyone to go along? It seems a few more tickets have gone just checking on the hateful TicketMaster.

The Nozze di Figaro is getting a good push in the media any plans from anyone to go along? It seems a few more tickets have gone just checking on the hateful TicketMaster.

I'm going to the Gaiety on Friday the 20th.
    Also, I might be going to Il Bravo in Wexford. I like Mercadante.

I'm going to the Gaiety on Friday the 20th.
    Also, I might be going to Il Bravo in Wexford. I like Mercadante.

Might go on the Friday myself, Saw Netrebko last week in Macbeth, she is still quite stunning in these Verdi roles.

I have two spare tickets in the choir stalls (cheapest in the house) up behind tthe orchestra at €50 each for the Simon Rattle/LSO Mahler 9th tomorrow night at the National Concert Hall if anyone is interested 087 4198193 Brendan

I have two spare tickets in the choir stalls (cheapest in the house) up behind tthe orchestra at €50 each for the Simon Rattle/LSO Mahler 9th tomorrow night at the National Concert Hall if anyone is interested 087 4198193 Brendan

Tickets snatched from me at box office by folks not prepared to pay €110 for the last remaining seats. The concert itself was fine, although watching Rattle conduct in his early 60s was not quite the same as 20 years ago. I saw him do the same Mahler 9 with Vienna Phil back in 1997ish! at the Proms in the RAH. The concert had immense energy, but this concert seemed a bit pedestrian, in truth Rattle looked tired and kept reaching for his hankie to wipe his brow, he may have been under the weather.

The strings were beautiful. The brass excellent, in fact the playing was world class.
    The statutory standing ovation was given. 8/10

got to say well done to our new national opera company Nozze di Figaro was really very very good, hats off to the production team and musical direction. First class opera in Dublin from a domestic company, really first class and well done.!

I agree. It was very good.
    Wondering whether to go to Hoffmann and/or Aida.

• Advertisement

The cast of this Rigoletto looks promising, and love the Belfast Opera House, might be worth a trip in Sept/October

https://www.niopera.com/events/rigoletto/

Advertisement