Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving poles

Options
  • 16-04-2018 11:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi, I have a planning application where in order to meet one of the 90m sight distance lines, I would have to relocate an existing ESB pole to the front of our site. Now, me and my partner have no problem doing this, but if we leave it alone we will still be reaching around 80m of the required sightline. Am I able to get my engineer to do the drawing 'both' ways for the council, i.e. show an 80m sightline, and the 90m sightline saying the pole needs to be moved and let the council decide what is acceptable? Also, do I even have any right to say a public pole needs to be moved on my application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If you have been granted planning permission and it clearly states that the pole will have to be moved the ESB will move it free of charge. Contact ESB Networks and explain your case and they will take it from there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

No, this is all before planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi, I have a planning application where in order to meet one of the 90m sight distance lines, I would have to relocate an existing ESB pole to the front of our site. Now, me and my partner have no problem doing this, but if we leave it alone we will still be reaching around 80m of the required sightline. Am I able to get my engineer to do the drawing 'both' ways for the council, i.e. show an 80m sightline, and the 90m sightline saying the pole needs to be moved and let the council decide what is acceptable? Also, do I even have any right to say a public pole needs to be moved on my application?

Put in the application @ 80m, mention nothing about moving the pole unless requested specifically by the council, moving the pole will cost you money!!!

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Put in the application @ 80m, mention nothing about moving the pole unless requested specifically by the council, moving the pole will cost you money!!!

My engineer says that he is 99% certain the planners will come back to us looking for the 90m sightline, which will mean moving the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

My engineer says that he is 99% certain the planners will come back to us looking for the 90m sightline, which will mean moving the pole.

Factor in the cost of moving the pole so id suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd show the required 90m and detail the works required to achieve it.
    It's not the end of the world having to move pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

mickdw wrote: »
    It's not the end of the world having to move pole.

No but it does cost money.

I applied for planning permission and got it. Where my to be entrance is, there is an Eir pole.

I said nothing about it (didnt really realise), council said nothing about it.

So, now Ive to stump up 1K + to get it moved. ESB connection is about 2k. Water connection up to 12k. Irish water will not give a figure.

And thats without a sod of turf turned. I do despair at building sometimes...thats for another thread I guess!

If I show the pole needs to be moved, must I show an alternate place for it for planning?

If I show the pole needs to be moved, must I show an alternate place for it for planning?

Anyone..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Try emailing: plantalterations@eir.ie

They are very hit/miss with their replies tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 canaryfairy

Hi Everyone,

I had recently purchased a site which has an an ESB pole outside of the boundary. The planning states that the pole needs to be moved to create the entrance and allow for sitelines. Does anyone have any experience on the cost of moving the pole?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dmakc

Does the above mean that a building site needs to be 90m from an ESB pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭db

ESB are great for this type of thing. When I was building, the overhead line was close to where the house was going to be so one call to ESB Networks and they moved it very quickly. Eir are the complete opposite and will charge thousands to move a pole even if it better for them to have it moved.

Advertisement