Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Joe Mcdonagh Cup 2018

• 08-04-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭

New tournament for the previous Leinster championship qualifying teams.

1 Antrim
    2 Carlow
    3 Kerry
    4 Laois
    5 Westmeath
    6 Meath

All play each other with the top 2 playing off in the final with the winner (if Leinster gain automatic promotion to the Liam McCarthy cup for 2019, If Kerry play off vs 5th place Munster team for a place in the 2019 Liam McCarthy Munster championship). 2 finalists also play the 3rd place Munster/Leinster teams in the AI prem round for a place in the AI QFs

Relagation
    The bottom-placed team in the Joe McDonagh Cup is automatically relegated to the following year's Christy Ring Cup. In order to reduce the number of teams in the Joe McDonagh Cup to five in 2019, the team that finishes second last in the 2018 Joe McDonagh Cup plays off against the 2018 Christy Ring Cup champions. The winner of that game plays in the Joe McDonagh Cup in 2019 and the losing team plays in the Christy Ring Cup.

Fixtures
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Joe_McDonagh_Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I think Meath are also in the McDonagh Cup?

I reckon Laois are the favourites, plus Carlow & dark horses Antrim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

why are they looking to reduce it to 5 teams does anyone know? to give teams a rest week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

This competition is basically there to avoid the inconvenience of the stronger counties playing the weaker counties

The GAA is all about the 'product' now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Six teams there that could easily beat each other on any given day. Will be a tough competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    This competition is basically there to avoid the inconvenience of the stronger counties playing the weaker counties

The GAA is all about the 'product' now

What benefit would it be to these counties to be getting hammered by the top teams?

Every sport has tiers why should Hurling be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

danganabu wrote: »
    What benefit would it be to these counties to be getting hammered by the top teams?

which of these teams has been hammered though

Westmeath put it up to Tipp last year
    and Galway the previous year

football has NO TIERS!

which of these teams has been hammered though

Westmeath put it up to Tipp last year
    and Galway the previous year

football has NO TIERS!

Ah come on everyone knows that it was a case of Tipp being atrocious more than Westmeath being anywhere near that level, and Galway beat them by 17pts pulling up.

I really couldnt give a monkeys what football has, and I really hate the idea that hurling should copy what football those, they are two very different set of challenges being faced by each code. It was a misguided belief that hurling had to in some way mirror the super 8 that we have ended up with this abomination of a hurling championship for the next 3 years.

And while football may not have official tiers we already know that in a competition of over 30 teams there are only 3-4 teams max that can even get to a final nevermind win it.

Ah come on everyone knows that it was a case of Tipp being atrocious more than Westmeath being anywhere near that level, and Galway beat them by 17pts pulling up.

I really couldnt give a monkeys what football has, and I really hate the idea that hurling should copy what football those, they are two very different set of challenges being faced by each code. It was a misguided belief that hurling had to in some way mirror the super 8 that we have ended up with this abomination of a hurling championship for the next 3 years.

And while football may not have official tiers we already know that in a competition of over 30 teams there are only 3-4 teams max that can even get to a final nevermind win it.

better to have Westmeath, Carlow, Laois aiming to play in the Leinster championship than this competition imho
    the format used for the last few years was good and gave 3 good games to all the counties involved and a route to play the stronger counties and then qualifier games

better to have Westmeath, Carlow, Laois aiming to play in the Leinster championship than this competition imho
    the format used for the last few years was good and gave 3 good games to all the counties involved and a route to play the stronger counties and then qualifier games

That route is still there, the top two teams play the 3rd place teams from each province in a preliminary AI QF and the top team plays in next yers Liam McCarthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

IMO every county should be in two competitions, one where they for the most part play against better counties and can learn something, and a second competition where they play against their peers and have a chance of winning silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Carlow giving laois a right trimming so far today

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Westmeath win by two.carlow by 10

Results:
    Kerry 0-18 Meath by 0-16
    Westmeath 2-19 Antrim 1-20
    Carlow 2-25 Laois 2-15

London 4-27 Armagh 0-11
    Kildare 4-19 Wicklow 3-18

Latest score:
    Roscommon 1-17 Mayo 0-8.
    Derry v. Down????

KevIRL wrote: »
    Carlow giving laois a right trimming so far today

What on earth has happened to Laois. Is Cheddar's departure part of the explanation?

Congratulations to Carlow. I think I am right in saying that Carlow's last (and to date only????) championship win over Laois was in 1966,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭threeball

feargale wrote: »
    IMO every county should be in two competitions, one where they for the most part play against better counties and can learn something, and a second competition where they play against their peers and have a chance of winning silverware.

What like the league and championship we had? Seriously? Hurling is one sport where even the smallest gulf in class or ability is punished severely. Putting a good hurling team against a middling one is the equivalent of the all blacks going up against Spain or Romania in rugby. Pointless guaranteed thrashings.
    Even top tier hurling counties slightly off the pace will get spanked. Galway have handed out two in the space of 7 days. You can't muddle by like a soccer team can holding on for the glorious one nil defeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

threeball wrote: »
    What like the league and championship we had? Seriously? Hurling is one sport where even the smallest gulf in class or ability is punished severely. Putting a good hurling team against a middling one is the equivalent of the all blacks going up against Spain or Romania in rugby. Pointless guaranteed thrashings.
    Even top tier hurling counties slightly off the pace will get spanked. Galway have handed out two in the space of 7 days. You can't muddle by like a soccer team can holding on for the glorious one nil defeat

+1

Wicklow put a team in the Walsh cup and got scutched.

By the way there is no guarantees Offaly will come back up next year either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Can't see it happening unfortunately. We really seem to have regressed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

feargale wrote: »
    What on earth has happened to Laois. Is Cheddar's departure part of the explanation?

Congratulations to Carlow. I think I am right in saying that Carlow's last (and to date only????) championship win over Laois was in 1966,

2010 Qualifiers Carlow beat Laois by a point I think.

I remember thinking the GAA must be doing everything in their power to give Carlow a win in their first year back at Liam MacCarthy level, as they were drawn against Laois in Leinster (losing by a few points) before being drawn against Laois again in the qualifiers, followed by playing Antrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭conor05

Laois now have to go to Meath next weekend and win to avoid automatic relegation, Meath just need the win, points difference won’t matter as they’ll go through on head to head.

I really did not see this coming for Laois, fully expected them to be in the final with Westmeath.

It’s an awful pity Kerry didn’t hold onto Cuala hurler Darragh o Connell.
    I think he would have made the difference for them getting to the final. Most of Kerry’s team is under 25.

conor05 wrote: »
    It’s an awful pity Kerry didn’t hold onto Cuala hurler Darragh o Connell.
    I think he would have made the difference for them getting to the final. Most of Kerry’s team is under 25.

foreign players shouldn't be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Am I correct in saying that Antrim could yet still either qualify for the final or be in relegation play-off??

If Antrim beat Kerry, and Westmeath beat Carlow...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Carlow (6 points), and will finish 2nd due to head-to-head result.

If Antrim lose to Kerry, and Laois beat Meath...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Laois (4 points), and will finish 5th due to head-to-head result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Am I correct in saying that Antrim could yet still either qualify for the final or be in relegation play-off??

If Antrim beat Kerry, and Westmeath beat Carlow...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Carlow (6 points), and will finish 2nd due to head-to-head result.

If Antrim lose to Kerry, and Laois beat Meath...
    Then Antrim will be on the same points as Laois (4 points), and will finish 5th due to head-to-head result.

Looks that way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

What the **** are ****eing on about????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Patww79 wrote:

If Meath win then Laois go down. 2nd bottom team goes into a playoff against Ring winners. There'll only be 5 teams in Joe McDonagh next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

TrueGael wrote: »
    What the **** are ****eing on about????

Counties playing players from other counties
    Going on at every level
    Masking how poor hurling has become in many counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭conor05