Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

cloudatlas wrote: »
    False. Nothing has been signed yet. Can't play for Ireland. Delighted.

Seems a sense of relief around the country all right. I was out last night with the lads and to a man, everyone was delighted with the IRFU and Ulster Rugby's decision. I thought they might drag on the internal review for weeks but in fairness, it was a very swift decision to cut them loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

False. Nothing has been signed yet. Can't play for Ireland. Delighted.

Pathetic.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Carberry who can't get a game at 10 with Leinster due to Sexton's presence?

You don't think Carberry's the 2nd choice out-half? Do you follow the rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Carbery 2nd choice with a conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Olding was a very ordinary player actually.

Neither will be missed internationally.

At least we know now that you don't watch rugby. Olding is a very talented young lad.
    Genuine question....did you ever watch him play? And I mean in the flesh...not a few youtube clips.
    You don't think PJ will be missed internationally? He was a long way ahead of Carberry.

You have some agenda against PJ, I'll give you that. Will you be watching him in France? Praying he gets injured or has a poor game?

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Olding was a very ordinary player actually.

Neither will be missed internationally.

Trial & it's fallout aside, it's patently evident you don't know your arse from your elbow when it comes to possessing any real knowledge of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Just mimicking the Pyrrhic victory of your pal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Amazing how the girls who were slutty, promiscuous or flirtatious weren't raped.

My understanding is that no one was raped that night. But perhaps you know more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Seems a sense of relief around the country all right. I was out last night with the lads and to a man, everyone was delighted with the IRFU and Ulster Rugby's decision. I thought they might drag on the internal review for weeks but in fairness, it was a very swift decision to cut them loose.

Yes -- nothing like a good stint in the echo chamber to reassure oneself of the consensus.

I was out last night myself and to be honest with you, opinion seems quite divided. That's just my echo chamber though -- I'm sure yours is thoroughly more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The amount of nights I have sat nodding in agreement with a hectoring morally 'superior' absolutist just to enjoy my pint. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was out last night with the lads.

Yeah that's not true now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You don't think Carberry's the 2nd choice out-half? Do you follow the rugby?

Yes. Why should Ireland have a player who tends to spend most of his minutes at full back as back up? That might suit Leinster but not ideal for Ireland. Maybe Carty can keep developing.

The amount of nights I have sat nodding in agreement with a hectoring morally 'superior' absolutist just to enjoy my pint. :rolleyes:

Aw. poor francie can't enjoy his pint in peace everyone. 1,2,3 AWWWWWw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Squatter wrote: »
    My understanding is that no one was raped that night. But perhaps you know more than I do.

Nail on head. However there are plenty here and elsewhere who cannot accept that.

No, I do enjoy them. I just zone out the absolutist white noise. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

The debate around sexual assault and rape and consent has to be informed by an understanding of the failings of both sexes.

As repeatedly pointed out, there are responsibilities for everyone in these issues. The influence of female role models has not even started to be addressed.

Just imagine a parent trying to tell their daughter how to behave when the public airways and media is full to the brim of women who seem happy to be objectified and to be seen as sexual objects.

That is just touching the tip of the iceberg of issues concerning all men and women.

Drowned out by the anti-male feminist bullying rhetoric.

Perhaps. But common sense suggests that the best time for any such in-depth discussion isn't in the immediate aftermath of a controversial rape trial.

This is the justice you wanted isn't it? Granted no death penalty but exile will do.

Squatter wrote: »
    Perhaps. But common sense suggests that the best time for any such in-depth discussion isn't in the immediate aftermath of a controversial rape trial.

Common sense says it is the best time. When people are listening.

It is a time for sensible balanced debate, not agenda driven soapboxing and anti male vindictiveness that we see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

joe40 wrote: »
    Well I thought it was clear. I said "privacy is important and should be protected"
    Therefore answer is a clear and unambiguous NO to your imaginary laws.

I thought so, but merely thought it was only fair to seek a definitive answer before pointing out to you that by saying 'No' you have shown why the argument of judging and punishing people for all or any of their private statements should always hit a brick wall in a free society. You have said it yourself -- privacy should be protected. Why do you think that is? Why do you think privacy is so important? One of the reasons we have privacy is because society recognises the fundamental importance of having a shield between our private and public lives -- that while we all tow the line in public and contribute to society, we need a safe individual place where we can retreat away from the public eye and be our flawed, imperfect selves without fear of judgement so long as we act within the law. This keeps us sane, and helps to uphold the concept of individual liberty.

Saying 'no' also unmasks the lack of logical consistency in your viewpoint. You say that people should be judged for their statements when those statements make it out in the open, yet you do not support having any legal framework or national program which would at least ensure that it is applied fairly and equally -- and not just to people whose statements get released whether through a criminal trial, theft of a phone, or a hacking etc.

Your views, if applied equally and fairly (as I would like to think you would surely advocate) would entail that every person on earth must forever adhere to linguistic stringency, moral perfection and political correctness in all their private utterances to family and friends. Your views, applied equally and fairly, would impose upon us an intellectual thought-police, where we are terrified of making jokes or saying anything politically incorrect, even in jest. Your views, again applied equally and fairly, would have us all eternally wear a linguistic straight-jacket in every single thing we say. Would TV shows like The Inbetweeners and comedy acts like Frankie Boyle need to be censored for all of the objectifying humour, stereotyping and dark comedy -- lest they contaminate the minds of our sons and daughters and leave them open to imitating any of the humour in jest and then being subsequently crucified at your altar of moral perfection?

Your opinions are perfectly reasonable at face-value level, but face-value is always superficial. The deeper implications for what you are arguing however are quite simply terrifying and should, in my opinion, be resisted in a free society.
    My position is pretty much the way things are. Your privacy is protected currently but if private messages become public, and those messages are damaging you are liable for the consequences. Whether serious or minor

Why are you trying to paint some type of dystopian future with thought police etc
    I am just saying how things currently are, there is no basis for ridiculous extrapolations

I'm surprised at that Francie lad - it seems like you're on here morning, noon and night fighting a fight that's already been lost.

Maybe if you did take a break from the online echo chamber of this thread and had a pint with some real people, you'd see the overwhelming relief and goodwill at the IRFU's decision to take these lads out of the international and domestic picture.

Just a suggestion;)

joe40 wrote: »
    My position is pretty much the way things are. Your privacy is protected currently but if private messages become public, and those messages are damaging you are liable for the consequences. Whether serious or minor

Why are you trying to paint some type of dystopian future with thought police etc
    I am just saying how things currently are, there is no basis for ridiculous extrapolations

I think Jackson, Olding and the others might believe they are already in a dystopian future tbh.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is the justice you wanted isn't it? Granted no death penalty but exile will do.

Yeah see I spoke to the blue haired feminazi's and either chinese burns or terrible tickling torture was proposed but there was no decision made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'm surprised at that Francie lad - it seems like you're on here morning, noon and night fighting a fight that's already been lost.

Maybe if you did take a break from the online echo chamber of this thread and had a pint with some real people, you'd see the overwhelming relief and goodwill at the IRFU's decision to take these lads out of the international and domestic picture.

Just a suggestion;)

That you think this is an echo chamber just demonstrates you either wont or cant hear any opposing view to your own.

One thing this thread isnt, is an echo chamber

Yeah see I spoke to the blue haired feminazi's and either chinese burns or terrible tickling torture was proposed but there was no decision made.

Whens the celebratory parade? Or the parade against Grobler?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Seems a sense of relief around the country all right.

What are you basing that on?
    I was out last night with the lads and to a man, everyone was delighted with the IRFU and Ulster Rugby's decision.

Yeah, ok then.

Just a suggestion;)

Just further proof of the absolutist who doesn't like his/her opinion challenged. Every pub has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It may come as a surprise to some, but the young women of Ireland are known to enjoy sex as much as the menfolk, and boast of their conquests. My experience is they're not shrinking violets, and sometimes their language would make a sailor blush.
    But that's part of the problem with the attitude of the boys. It didn't matter to them one bit if the girl enjoyed herself or cried and bleed because of sex. They were top shaggers in their own little world only their enjoyment matters. And if nothing else girls should be told to demand more from sex.

That you think this is an echo chamber just demonstrates you either wont or cant hear any opposing view to your own.

One thing this thread isnt, is an echo chamber

If you go through past posts and count the likes for each view I think you'll find this thread is very much an echo chamber.

meeeeh wrote: »
    But that's part of the problem with the attitude of the boys. It didn't matter to them one bit if the girl enjoyed herself or cried and bleed because of sex. They were top shaggers in their own little world only their enjoyment matters. And if nothing else girls should be told to demand more from sex.

Don't you think they should be told that they are probably not going to find it hanging around the VIP sections of nightclubs or by ending up drunk and alone in the houses of strangers.

Should that advice not have been offered in all the public debate on this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you go through past posts and count the likes for each view I think you'll find this thread is very much an echo chamber.

Hang on, facehugger says there’s “an overwhelming sense of relief around the country at the decision” and that all his mates think the same. But on here, most people are echoing against it? So is facehugger hanging out in an echo chamber or are all of us here the ones on the echo chamber? Could it be that there’s mixed views and no one hive mind?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

meeeeh wrote: »

Don't you think they should be told that they are probably not going to find it hanging around the VIP sections of nightclubs or by ending up drunk and alone in the houses of strangers.

Should that advice not have been offered in all the public debate on this case?
    I thought nothing untoward happened any young women in this story so what is the problem with VIP areas and stranger's houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement