Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

here's a decent article touching on the crypto bubble and the eventual actual utility of blockchain in terms of reducing the "cost of trust"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610781/in-blockchain-we-trust/

glasso wrote: »
    here's a decent article touching on the crypto bubble and the eventual actual utility of blockchain in terms of reducing the "cost of trust"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610781/in-blockchain-we-trust/

and this one why cryptocurrencies replacing fiat would be not a good thing is also a good read (short enough)

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610783/bitcoin-would-be-a-calamity-not-an-economy/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kaymin wrote: »
    Out of interest, roughly how many transactions have crypto proponents completed using crypto in the last 6 months and what was the typical type of transaction? Ignoring investments in crypto obviously.

I've completed in and around 50 or so since 2012.
    That said upto October last year the transactions were of an immediate nature with no crypto HODL'd.
    In the last few months maybe 4 and my recent transaction was an accidental crypto tx!

I use my Revolut card to pay for a magazine sub via the UK, as its much cheaper,.
    Forgot to load the card this month and I had some balance in ETH that was converted to pay the sub!

banie01 wrote: »
    I've completed in and around 50 or so since 2012.
    That said upto October last year the transactions were of an immediate nature with no crypto HODL'd.

darkweb?!

darkweb?!

You asking about the magazine or earlier purchase history?:pac:
    Not really, 2 txs there way back when.
    A lot of purchaaes from overseas areas where bank accounts were a luxury and some services from technically minded folk who were much further ahead of the curve than me ;)

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    You asking about the magazine or earlier purchase history?:pac:
    Not really, 2 txs there way back when.
    A lot of purchaaes from overseas areas where bank accounts were a luxury and some services from technically minded folk who were much further ahead of the curve than me ;)

fair enough. just seemed like a high amount of cryto transactions :)

so tech work is commonly using crypto currency? or just in your case where you had tech guys in places in places where they don't like bank a/cs or hyperinflation or just don't like reporting earnings!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

For Johnny and Paddy

https://www.coindesk.com/bitfinex-denies-money-laundering-claims-after-internal-investigation/

The cryptocurrency exchange told CoinDesk on Tuesday that it conducted an "internal investigation of its international organization," and found no connection between its operations and the two shell companies accused of defrauding the Belgian government and laundering funds in Colombia.

The exchange wrote that "based on all available evidence and information, [it] has concluded that these allegations are untrue and unfounded."

fair enough. just seemed like a high amount of cryto transactions :)

so tech work is commonly using crypto currency? or just in your case where you had tech guys in places in places where they don't like bank a/cs or hyperinflation or just don't like reporting earnings!?

I can't speak to an estimate of how much outsourced Tech work is commonly settled using crypto but I have experience of it in a small capacity.

Regarding the Bank account issues, many places outside the EU have onerous charging structures and if you are forwarding a payment using swift via an intermediate bank a charge could be levied that is higher than the actual amount sent.
    Those issues are particularly prevalent with US and Asian banks,
    SEPA has been brilliant for eliminating/reducing charges within the EU but when sending payments outside the EU and in particular any payment that is Time sensitive, or routed via SWIFT intermediaries charges can rack up rapidly.
    Particularly where the tx is low in and of itself.

Crypto offers a fairly immediate means of settlement to any location with minimal TX costs.
    For low value TX, it is a great value means of payment.
    Granted other payment means such as Revolut have now appeared that allow quick(Within SEPA, and usually 3 days outside SEPA) and free/low cost(Compared to traditional banks) funds transfers between their users and international bank accounts.

Crypto offers the added benefit of allowing a user make immediate payment to any location or user with near immediate verification of transfer and low TX fees.

Regarding Hyperinfaltion or tax compliance of the recipient, thats not something I concern myself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

For Johnny and Paddy

https://www.coindesk.com/bitfinex-denies-money-laundering-claims-after-internal-investigation/

The cryptocurrency exchange told CoinDesk on Tuesday that it conducted an "internal investigation of its international organization," and found no connection between its operations and the two shell companies accused of defrauding the Belgian government and laundering funds in Colombia.

The exchange wrote that "based on all available evidence and information, [it] has concluded that these allegations are untrue and unfounded."

Ah well if the people accused deny any wrongdoing then that's good enough for me. It's not like guilty parties ever deny wrongdoing when accused of malpractice or criminal activity.

I knew crypto investors were fairly credulous sorts who believe the far-fetched promises of ICO launches, but I don't put much stock in what a dodgy outfit like Bitfinex has to say. Sure Bitconnect swore they were legit right til the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ah well if the people accused deny any wrongdoing then that's good enough for me. It's not like guilty parties ever deny wrongdoing when accused of malpractice or criminal activity.

I knew crypto investors were fairly credulous sorts who believe the far-fetched promises of ICO launches, but I don't put much stock in what a dodgy outfit like Bitfinex has to say. Sure Bitconnect swore they were legit right til the end.

Then necks are on the chopping block if info turns up otherwise. A coin is one thing, an exchange is another.

It also hinges on whether an exchange worked directly with the launderers or indirectly

If directly - exchange is ****ed

If indirectly - they have to show they did their due diligence and compliance

• Advertisement

so what is this saying - that all the "money" coming into tether was from criminals' money-laundering activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

so what is this saying - that all the "money" coming into tether was from criminals' money-laundering activity?

It can't be substantiated either way at the moment so it's not 'saying' anything right now....

It can't be substantiated either way at the moment so it's not 'saying' anything right now....

I agree with this.

BTC up 13% in an hour on no news that I can see

Perhaps as a longshot here, just spitballing.
    US based folk were closing/crystallizing positions for tax day next week?
    They've finished their calc's and are now buying back in?

That said, this my problem with crypto markets.
    News often has the opposite to expected effect, no news can cause a spike either way and the effect of sentiment is near impossible to predict in crypto.
    I find myself looking at market moves and trying to analyse based on my previous investing and professional experience and more often than not...
    I'm still flummoxed by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Prepare for the dump. The bart Simpson pattern has been fooling the market for weeks. Sudden jump in price, leave it sit for a few hours, then instadump back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd put it down to the amount of short positions on Bitmex (highest ever amount of shorts). Some smart rich bastard bet against them, bought a ton of BTC and now they'll get to eke out a little bit of residual FOMO and drop the price again, maybe with their own short position in place.

Just look at the quantities: https://twitter.com/BitmexRekt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

grindle wrote: »

sorry, what the hell is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

grindle wrote: »
    I'd put it down to the amount of short positions on Bitmex (highest ever amount of shorts). Some smart rich bastard bet against them, bought a ton of BTC and now they'll get to eke out a little bit of residual FOMO and drop the price again, maybe with their own short position in place.

That’s it. Bitmex offer 100x leverage, which is preposterous. It makes the market even more attractive for those with the power to manipulate it. So many shorts were liquidated that Twitter have limited the account. Carnage.

• Advertisement

My BTC/USD price prediction for May 01st:

$9100

My long term outlook is not good however.

$9100

Right so you are obviously going in on it - don't forget to show us the trade tickets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

$9100

Jesus take a day off, believe it or not everyone on here knows its a risky business.

Also in the email notification for this post your prediction is $8750 but you edited it to $9100 the minute you posted, what methodology did you use to revise your predictions upwards in those 30 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thargor wrote: »

Also in the email notification for this post your prediction is $8750 but you edited it to $9100 the minute you posted, what methodology did you use to revise your predictions upwards in those 30 seconds?

Honestly this sounds like it is going personal and isn’t really about the contents of the post.

Most people on this site have at least once (more than once for me) posted something and then slightly changed their mind and edited. We should probably think things through a bit more before posting, but we just don’t always do and in most cases it’s not a huge deal. What’s the point in picking on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Jesus take a day off, believe it or not everyone on here knows its a risky business.

Yeah, but nobody knows like he knows that it's going to zero, because he gets it and nobody else does. He's a supremely intelligent individual, the smartest, MOST YUGELY BRAINLIEST, who has probably made billions - trillions maybe, PROVE IT WRONG - from knowing about every up and downtick before it's happened and longing or shorting it as appropriate.

In all honesty though, Pintscam Pajo - if you have this kind of confidence, this 100% certainty... You'd be an idiot to NOT short the market in the long-term. Serious. Put money where your mouth is.

Disclaimer:This is not financial advice

Some here are just having a gamble and think it's a wild goose chase mixed with a tech horse-race, others have a greater belief in some of these projects because they actually bother reading beyond /r/ethtrader or /r/cryptocurrency or the random Twitter spam. YMMV. So may your knowledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looks like Pintman Paddy Power has lost his bottle. Revising a predicted 9% gain to an 11.25% gain over two weeks for Bitcoin in the current climate is not exactly an adventurous forecast. Throw a bit more warm water over them tea leaves there Paddy :pac:

Changed a few variables in the equation based on some of my technical analyses.

We'll see whether PPL is right come May 01st.

Anyone here care to make their prediction.

I'm very bearish about the whole crypto scene as I've outlined once or twice, but there is likely to be a short-lived bull run in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lol, post your equation then you complete spoofer :D

Or just go back to repeating yourself for the 300th time, enough time wasted on you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Changed a few variables in the equation based on some of my technical analyses.

We'll see whether PPL is right come May 01st.

Anyone here care to make their prediction.

I'm very bearish about the whole crypto scene as I've outlined once or twice, but there is likely to be a short-lived bull run in the next two weeks.

Yep. I predict you will be ignored by the other 50% of this forum by the end of May 2018.

Starting with myself now.

• Advertisement

Lol, post your equation then you complete spoofer :D

Or just go back to repeating yourself for the 300th time, enough time wasted on you anyway.

Not a chance. It was very effective for my Apr 01 prediction. Once I prove its accuracy again on May 01 I will be monetizing it.

I will be providing a discount for boards.ie posters so stay tuned.

Advertisement