Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place for wooden floors

• 28-03-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations on a place in the city that does good quality cheap wooden floors?

First time ever buying it. Haven't a clue.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have a look in John Murphy carpets on Mayors Walk. They do a limited range of flooring that they buy in bulk so it works out significantly cheaper than buying it from a sample book. Good quality and a reasonable choice, I have had some very nice flooring. Also, don't get wood, certainly at the cheaper end of the scale it can be a liability. Laminate quality is miles ahead from what it used to be and will wear much better than wood in a family situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

The Floor Gallery on the Tramore Road, across the road from Lidl. I have used them twice. The first time my builder bought the floor from them and he fitted it. The job was so good that we bought a second floor from them and asked them to do the fitting. Both times the service and quality was outstanding. Jonathan is the man there and he will give you good advice. We were really happy with everything plus they are nice people to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Cheers for the advice. Any other tips? 
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Get a decent thickness, you want a solid feel when you walk on them something around 10mm or higher. Also look for the foil underlay as it keeps the floor warmer than it would with the cheaper stuff.
    Good range in right price tiles as well, good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭floyd333

Don't buy from about flooring. We had the misfortune of dealing with these cowboys last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Surely the best place for a wooden floor would be on the floor, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

will add
    generally Good Quality and Cheap do not go hand in hand....
    good quality items are generally not the cheapest....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think we all interpreted the question as 'good quality, good value' rather than cheap - you are right, cheap and quality do not go hand in hand, but you can shop carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

We used a pair of brothers that were based out at the Airport business park when we did a renovation back in 2009. My apologies, as I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but nearly sure it was Kavanagh, so maybe somebody else can confirm. Anyway, if they're still in business, I found them excellent - very professional, good quality flooring, and great attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

JMcL wrote: »
    We used a pair of brothers that were based out at the Airport business park when we did a renovation back in 2009. My apologies, as I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but nearly sure it was Kavanagh, so maybe somebody else can confirm. Anyway, if they're still in business, I found them excellent - very professional, good quality flooring, and great attention to detail.

Robert Gallagher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

JMcL wrote: »

I'd second this. Robert and Thomas Gallagher, quality work and they're good craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Woodpecker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

south wrote: »
    Robert Gallagher
    I'd second this. Robert and Thomas Gallagher, quality work and they're good craic too.

Yes, those're the guys. As I said, highly recommended if they survived the downturn

Advertisement