Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Tyres Waterford

• 11-04-2018 5:34pm

Anywhere know who is selling the cheapest tyres around the city?

Pretty strapped for cash but need new tyres :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Billy Ryan's in Ferrybank sells part worn tyres for around €20/€30/€40 depending on size

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is there any truth in the rumour that these part worn tyres are actuall alright?

I've heard that they are imported from German PS vehicles as per German transport laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Cash may be tight, but I would try to avoid putting on the cheapest tyre ou can find. They tend to be more plastic than rubber and don't give anywhere near the same level of grip...some are downright dangerous.

Slieverue tyres over in Ferrybank do some part worns, but if you can at all I would save for a few weeks and put something half decent on - they are the only things that connect you to the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You might be able to get wheels with decent tyres on them out of a scrap yard.

I needed tyres to pass an NCT a few years back and got two wheels with good tyres off the back of a written off almera. Took them away for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Larry guinan is who I go to now but Davey over in slieverue tyres is good too, I would recommend waiting until you can put good New tyres on though. You can't underestimate how important tyres are

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Larry guinan is who I go to now but Davey over in slieverue tyres is good too, I would recommend waiting until you can put good New tyres on though. You can't underestimate how important tyres are

Cheap is better than bald ...... if they need to be replaced then do not wait, but get the best you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd always use Tom Geraghty, when I challenged a more local tyre place with their prices I was told no way could they ever match them as Tom Geraghty were the distributors so got the tyres cheaper so could sell them cheaper. Don't know how true that is but they have always been the cheapest I could find in the area.

• my3cents wrote: »
    I'd always use Tom Geraghty, when I challenged a more local tyre place with their prices I was told no way could they ever match them as Tom Geraghty were the distributors so got the tyres cheaper so could sell them cheaper. Don't know how true that is but they have always been the cheapest I could find in the area.

How much he charge for a tyre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How much he charge for a tyre?

Just drive up and ask I can hardly give you a price when last time I used him was 18 months ago.

If you ask for cheap tyres then they'll sell you cheap tyres, normally I go for something around €60 - €70 but there's always cheaper ones. You just have to see what they have to offer on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Cheap and tyres are 2 words i hate hearing together.....

• Advertisement

• my3cents wrote: »
    Just drive up and ask I can hardly give you a price when last time I used him was 18 months ago.

If you ask for cheap tyres then they'll sell you cheap tyres, normally I go for something around €60 - €70 but there's always cheaper ones. You just have to see what they have to offer on the day.

Cheers, I'll do that. I need two tyres, 60-70 per tyre wouldn't be too bad.... I was worrying it would be much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You would get two new tyres for 160 in most places Id imagine.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Depends what size you are after. I know a place where a fit bend new 165 65 R14s for only €35 each. If you go to R15s then the price jumps up to about €55 for a tyre.
    Have a look on your local scrapyard for a few wheels. Might be the cheapest option.

Advertisement