Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reputable dealers selling cars under €4000 in dublin area

Options
  • 11-04-2018 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a friend who's looking at buying a 2007 upwards 1.3-1.4 petrol car for under €4,000, ideally something like an astra, auris or civic.
    He has asked me if i would like to go look with him at weekend and i was wondering if there was anyone that could advise me of good reputable dealers that would be selling quality cars of this type?
    He was thinkin that Dublin would probably be the best place to search as more car dealers there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are you a mechanic or someone with a good knowledge of cars? If not get someone like that to check prospective purchases.

2008 is when the co2 tax came in (ie. cheaper). Look up the tax rates online and be sure of what you are looking at.

Try your local dealers first, they might surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

elperello wrote: »
    Are you a mechanic or someone with a good knowledge of cars? If not get someone like that to check prospective purchases.

2008 is when the co2 tax came in (ie. cheaper). Look up the tax rates online and be sure of what you are looking at.

Try your local dealers first, they might surprise you.

Hi,

No, just the driver in this occasion:D
    He seems to have set his mind on the three cars i mentioned, the 1.4 Opel/Vauxhall astra, a 1.4 petrol toyota Auris or 1.4 petrol civic. This is to ensure cheapish tax and insurance. He has had a good look locally already and nothing ideal so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Also get make of car correct. An astra is a modern lada compared to an auris or honda.. for small money stick with toyota.vw.etc.. Jesus as a mechanic I had my fill of Vauxhall/opel.. corsa.astra & insignia are all bottom of the barrel & Ford's not much better. Well petrols ok. Diesel Ford's v bad also depends how well serviced and driven for any vehicle happy hunting avoid anything with loads gizmos/electrics. Better basic &reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There can be very little value or comeback in buying from a dealer in that price range. Your mostly dealing with small time traders operating out of yards and/or porta cabins that change business names every 6 months, so finding a decent car being sold by a reputable trader will be a minefield especially if your not from the area. Warranties generally tend to be either from third party warranties designed to protect dealers from having to resolve issues or your getting fobbed off by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Also get make of car correct. An astra is a modern lada compared to an auris or honda.. for small money stick with toyota.vw.etc.. Jesus as a mechanic I had my fill of Vauxhall/opel.. corsa.astra & insignia are all bottom of the barrel & Ford's not much better. Well petrols ok. Diesel Ford's v bad also depends how well serviced and driven for any vehicle happy hunting avoid anything with loads gizmos/electrics. Better basic &reliable

Yea he is looking at petrol only as mostly town driving..id be of same opinion...toyota or honda would be my pick of the three he wants
    bazz26 wrote: »
    There can be very little value or comeback in buying from a dealer in that price range. Your mostly dealing with small time traders operating out of yards and/or porta cabins that change business names every 6 months, so finding a decent car being sold by a reputable trader will be a minefield especially if your not from the area. Warranties generally tend to be either from third party warranties designed to protect dealers from having to resolve issues or your getting fobbed off by them.

Ive read here before to stay away from Ballymount :D

Can you think of any good small dealers though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

At that price range it's more about the car itself rather than the dealer selling it. Bring someone who knows cars and can look it over properly for best piece of mind, but you could find a perfectly fine car for €4k at the worst dealer imaginable, it's then up to you whether you feel confident enough that you won't have any issues in the 3 month warranty they'll give you, so you'll never be forced to deal with them again.

Advertisement