Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mini PC for SKY Go Streaming to TV

Options
  • 11-04-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am recently after moving out of home and and trying to get SKY to work in my new house. We have sky in the home house so i am planning on using SKY GO to give myself sky in the new house.
    I have already tried with the android box that i have and failed due to sky not letting devices like that work with the hdmi out.
    I have it now working on my laptop and hooked up to the tv which is ok for now but its all a bit messy.
    I am thinking of getting a mini pc (nuc) that can sit beside the tv and can be used for sky go and also for netflix and kodi.

This is the windows mini pc i am looking at getting:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beelink-Windows-x5-Z8350-Processor-1000Mbps/dp/B074FPRX82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523355743&sr=8-3&keywords=mini%2Bpc&th=1

I am just wondering will this pc do the job for me to be able to stream these things without dropping frames or lagging?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am recently after moving out of home and and trying to get SKY to work in my new house. We have sky in the home house so i am planning on using SKY GO to give myself sky in the new house.
    I have already tried with the android box that i have and failed due to sky not letting devices like that work with the hdmi out.
    I have it now working on my laptop and hooked up to the tv which is ok for now but its all a bit messy.
    I am thinking of getting a mini pc (nuc) that can sit beside the tv and can be used for sky go and also for netflix and kodi.

This is the windows mini pc i am looking at getting:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beelink-Windows-x5-Z8350-Processor-1000Mbps/dp/B074FPRX82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523355743&sr=8-3&keywords=mini%2Bpc&th=1

I am just wondering will this pc do the job for me to be able to stream these things without dropping frames or lagging?

I find streaming from the pc to be messy. They just launched a new app and it's pretty poor. Bedore that it was internet explorer and not the newer edge browser. An alternative would be an Xbox. The sky go app on Xbox would be better than the pc one in my opinion. Not sure if you need an Xbox live sub to use it. That could be a deal breaker. The Xbox forum might guide you better in that respect if you want to look further down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Darby_321

Buttros wrote: »
    I find streaming from the pc to be messy. They just launched a new app and it's pretty poor. Bedore that it was internet explorer and not the newer edge browser. An alternative would be an Xbox. The sky go app on Xbox would be better than the pc one in my opinion. Not sure if you need an Xbox live sub to use it. That could be a deal breaker. The Xbox forum might guide you better in that respect if you want to look further down that route.

The app has been removed now from the windows store since the end of march. :( if i want to set it up on a console you need to get SKY GO extra which costs an extra €6 a month and you still cannot download shows to the consoles. It is still currently just the internet explorer browser that it works on.

I just think that getting one of the mini pc's would not look out of place beside the tv and would be easy to manage for all media streaming services that i want.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think that device should be fine. I stream it from my desktop to the TV through a Steam Link which could be another cheaper option.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think that device should be fine. I stream it from my desktop to the TV through a Steam Link which could be another cheaper option.

Thanks :) i never even thought of that idea, that could be another option to look at

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Forget about the steam link, since they brought out the Sk Go desktop app and got rid of the in browser version in IE it looks like they've blocked screen mirroring somehow :(

I was thinking a cheap option now might be a Raspberry Pi with windows 10 on it. Will have to look into something myself now.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, just an update on this, i ended up buying a Beelink BT3 windows 10 mini pc pro. It was set up and ready to go once i got it and works perfectly with playing sky go on IE. Its fits perfectly beside the tv and even comes with a bracket to attach to the back of the tv if you want to hide it. Bought an air mouse that also can control the tv so i have one controller to control everything. Is the sky go app on the windows 10 store?? i didnt see it on the store when i searched for it

Hi guys, just an update on this, i ended up buying a Beelink BT3 windows 10 mini pc pro. It was set up and ready to go once i got it and works perfectly with playing sky go on IE. Its fits perfectly beside the tv and even comes with a bracket to attach to the back of the tv if you want to hide it. Bought an air mouse that also can control the tv so i have one controller to control everything. Is the sky go app on the windows 10 store?? i didnt see it on the store when i searched for it

No you have to download from the Sky website I think. Is the browser streaming on IE still working for you? It just links me to the app download now.

No you have to download from the Sky website I think. Is the browser streaming on IE still working for you? It just links me to the app download now.

Oh right ok, i must have a look at that this evening so. Should be better than using IE :P yup it is still working fine for me. Hasnt said anything to me about the app download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

The app has been removed now from the windows store since the end of march.

It should never have been there. It was a horrendous attempt at software by Sky.

Hey Mickeroo, i downloaded that sky installer last night from their website and i didnt really like the full screen mode. Is there a way to go through the channels when in full screen mode like you can normally on a sky tv, with the small blue box on the bottom third of the screen where you can go through the channel menu and see whats on? You can do it on IE in sky go

• Advertisement
Advertisement