Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

maybe he thinks all white people look the same

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You need to get some Q tips and watch the clip again :P

Ariel didn't mention Roddy's name in response to Ali asking about the kickboxing coach (as you keep saying). It wasn't until Ali asked who McGregor's "striking coach" was that Roddy's name was then (naturally) brought into it but even then Ariel premised it with: "NOT Owen Roddy" and then proceeded to try and tell Ali, over and over again, that Owen was NOT the person he had seen throwing stuff but he wasn't having any of it.
    Might want to clean out your own ears first.
    Who mentioned Owen Roddy first? Ariel not Ali.
    Had he said "You mean Cian Crowley?". I'm pretty sure Ali would have jumped all over Crowley's name instead. The chaps a clown, he was regurgitating 2nd hand info and making a balls of it. A kickboxing coach is a striking coach btw.

There were at least 10 cameras filming the incident. Do you honestly think it's more likely that he was blaming a guy who clearly wasn't there, rather than getting mixed up between two striking coaches.

The chap is a muppet
    I never suggested otherwise. I've criticized him plenty in he past. I'm just saying in the overall scheme of this incident his faux pas is significantly overshadowed by the guys smashing up a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    Might want to clean out your own ears first.
    Who mentioned Owen Roddy first? Ariel not Ali.
    Had he said "You mean Cian Crowley?". I'm pretty sure Ali would have jumped all over Crowley's name instead. The chaps a clown, he was regurgitating 2nd hand info and making a balls of it. A kickboxing coach is a striking coach btw.

There were at least 10 cameras filming the incident. Do you honestly think it's more likely that he was blaming a guy who clearly wasn't there, rather than getting mixed up between two striking coaches.

I never suggested otherwise. I've criticized him plenty in he past. I'm just saying in the overall scheme of this incident his faux pas is significantly overshadowed by the guys smashing up a bus.

I'm not sure if he would have jumped all over cowleys name, he claims that seeing Cowley ('Roddy') first was how he knew it was mcgregor coming. Would he really have an intimate enough knowledge of mcgregors camp to recognise cowley as being a mcgregor associate?? That sort of knowedge is reserved for us fanboys....and if he was to recognise cowley, you'd think he'd also know owen roddy!

I think its more likely that he mistook Cowley (or someone in the entourage) for roddy and refused to accept he could have been wrong. In which case Roddy would be well within his rights to want that claim retracted / amended.

As you've pointed out, its a nothing issue in the context of mcgregors stupidity, but I think its stretching things the on the other end of the spectrum to claim Ariel led him to the point where he would accept that no other name than owen roddy would do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Later on in the pod, didn’t he say that it was the guy from the “wanted” poster??

No doubt in my mind from listening to him that he meant Roddy and not Cowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

How much longer we got to wait to see khabib smash this fool

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he would have jumped all over cowleys name, he claims that seeing Cowley ('Roddy') first was how he knew it was mcgregor coming. Would he really have an intimate enough knowledge of mcgregors camp to recognise cowley as being a mcgregor associate?? That sort of knowedge is reserved for us fanboys....and if he was to recognise cowley, you'd think he'd also know owen roddy!

I think its more likely that he mistook Cowley (or someone in the entourage) for roddy and refused to accept he could have been wrong. In which case Roddy would be well within his rights to want that claim retracted / amended.
    I think it's more likely that he he talking complete pony.
    He didn't recognize anyone or know what was happening, until somebody shouted "that's Conor, that's Conor".
    Then he heard afterwards that Conor was charged along with the kickboxing coach. And invented the entire story. The chaps a bullshitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

pudzey101 wrote: »
    How much longer we got to wait to see khabib smash this fool

Probably about 3 years.mctapper loves to draw things out and have the zombies queue up.it would also help keep his name alive until then aswell cos he does fuk all else bar dodging fights.
    And end of the day it would be a farcical disappointment like the pillow hands fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it's more likely that he he talking complete pony.
    He didn't recognize anyone or know what was happening, until somebody shouted "that's Conor, that's Conor".
    Then he heard afterwards that Conor was charged along with the kickboxing coach. And invented the entire story. The chaps a bullshitter.

In that scenario I would also think Roddy would be fully entitled to demand the claim be retracted/amended too then, as he speaks in such definitive terms about something he had no actual knowledge of which is fairly irresponsible.

And yes, criminal damage and putting the physical safety of multiple people at risk while injuring ar least two people is infinitely more irresponsible, I feel the incorrect naming of Roddy is a separate issue that its perfectly ok to hold Ali accountable for, as Roddy is completely unconnected to the events of last week.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    In that scenario I would also think Roddy would be fully entitled to demand the claim be retracted/amended too then, as he speaks in such definitive terms about something he had no actual knowledge of which is fairly irresponsible.

Roddy is 100% entitled to call him out on it. Or maybe he's rather sidestep the whole thing. His call.

Worth pointing out that Ariel did his bit

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/983693451731578881

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I doubt Roddy gives a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I doubt Roddy gives a ****.

Roddy is running a business that is being built on the 'Growing Gorillas', how he is perceived by parents is hugely important to his livelihood, of course he cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Roddy is running a business that is being built on the 'Growing Gorillas', how he is perceived by parents is hugely important to his livelihood, of course he cares.

How many Irish parents are listening to Ariel Helwani's YouTube news show?

I'd say he's more worried about when his next cup of coffee is arriving right now than he is about this non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ricero wrote: »
    Conor fears Khabib and the bus incident proved it. He's all fart and no ****

Yeah, chasing down Khabib in the stadium really shows how scared Conor is of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

from watching khabib fight sat night i dont think conor or any of top 3 lads have anything to worry about fighting him
    he made hard work of the fight

ireland badly needs a new mma star because its fairly clear we have lost the one we had

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sc86 wrote: »
    ireland badly needs a new mma star because its fairly clear we have lost the one we had

:confused:

Read that back to yourself when hes in Singapore with the worlds media in the palm of his hand promoting his next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, chasing down Khabib in the stadium really shows how scared Conor is of him.

considering they work in a business where you can fight people you don't like

Conor could easily have looked for a fight against Kahbib long before now if he wanted

Instead he got a pack of his mates and attacked a bus knowing he wouldn't get anywhere near Khabib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

from watching khabib fight sat night i dont think conor or any of top 3 lads have anything to worry about fighting him
    he made hard work of the fight

Saturday night he dominated a late replacement, the fight before that he mauled the #4 ranked guy in the world.

How people do against late replacements isn't a gauge of ability.

It's not that long ago Tony struggled against Lando, Jon Jones looked ordinary against OSP or Conor got choked out by Nate Diazed with a belly full of tequila.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Nal wrote: »
    :confused:

Read that back to yourself when hes in Singapore with the worlds media in the palm of his hand promoting his next fight.

Has there been a suggestion he's going to Singapore? Would imagine he'd want to become keeping quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Has there been a suggestion he's going to Singapore? Would imagine he'd want to become keeping quiet.

No but they will be a world promo tour like in the Aldo fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

ok dana any more inside info for us? wheres the fight so i can book my tickets early

its a year and a half since his last mma fight and not certain if next fight will even be mma , when ever that is
    he will have worlds media in his hand no matter what he does
    as a mma fan thats not much interest to me

Conor could easily have looked for a fight against Kahbib long before now if he wanted

Instead he got a pack of his mates and attacked a bus knowing he wouldn't get anywhere near Khabib

Except Khabib would have got off the bus if the driver had unlocked the doors.
    Actually, Khabib could have jumped out the window to meet Conor if he wanted to. Sounds like Khabib was afraid of Conor.
    Khabib seems to prefer ganging up on solo members of McGregor's group.

ok dana any more inside info for us? wheres the fight so i can book my tickets early

Im only referring to the suggestion that we've apparently "lost" out only MMA star.

Hes more famous than ever.

Infamous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Im only referring to the suggestion that we've apparently "lost" out only MMA star.

More famous, but not famous for MMA at the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Except Khabib would have got off the bus if the driver had unlocked the doors.
    Actually, Khabib could have jumped out the window to meet Conor if he wanted to. Sounds like Khabib was afraid of Conor.
    Khabib seems to prefer ganging up on solo members of McGregor's group.

He was on the business end of his weight cut, there was no way he was getting into a brawl.
    He was days out from a title fight, there was no way he would jeopardise that with a scrap.

Infamous

Even better
    More famous, but not famous for MMA at the moment.

After last week, my 82 year old auntie was asking me about the UFC and when is McGregor fighting next.

Not that shes going to stay up and watch his next fight with a choice selection of craft beers and a spicebag or anything, but just that she was interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Notorious.....boom!:pac:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He was on the business end of his weight cut, there was no way he was getting into a brawl.
    He was days out from a title fight, there was no way he would jeopardise that with a scrap.

I'm just positing BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

. Sounds like Khabib was afraid of Conor.
    QUOTE]

Or maybe just maybe Khabib knows that scraping in a car park is beneath a pro fighter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement