Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can a State Athletic Commission ban someone for actions taken when a fighter isn't directly involved in promoting an upcoming fight? For instance, there were rumours that Nevada SAC could potentially have banned him for the bottle throwing incidents at 202, but I'm wondering could the NYSAC come in and say "we're banning him from fighting in New York in any capacity for X amount of time, as a consequence of the bus incident"?

And if the latter is possible, is it limited to the state in which the incident happened? Could the Nevada commission say "we're going to ban him for X amount of time because of what he did in New York"?

NYSAC can ban him, or just refuse to grant him a licence to fight in NY again.

If NYSAC ban him, every other state athletic commission will uphold their ban, as they have an agreement between states to uphold each other's bans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry if this was mentioned already as I cannot be bothered to read through the thread but Conor will deffo be sued by the bus company the guy who got cut(maybe others on the bus I'm not 100% positive on that) and more than likely by the UFC for loss of earnings as they cancelled the fight which would have made them millions.

All in all a very foolish thing to do by Conor. I still have no idea why he done that. If he ran in and jump thumped the window and shouted abuse at the people on the bus then it would be entertaining for his fans but grab a heavy dolly and throw that was just crazy. And if my emmory serves me correct he was fined once for throwing a water bottle so what was he thinking throwing that. His net worth will take a massive hammering.

Which fight did they cancel that would have made them millions? The Cheisa and Borg fights weren't big fights. Plus, I can't see the UFC suing McGregor, they want him fighting again. Suing him would risk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Alot of talk from a few sbg lads on facebook conor wants a mayweather bout instead of khabib supposedly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Could Floyd and Conor just go join the WWE. This is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Alot of talk from a few sbg lads on facebook conor wants a mayweather bout instead of khabib supposedly

Guy is in fairy land these days. Assuming this is true, Dana White should tell him to take a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Guy is in fairy land these days. Assuming this is true, Dana White should tell him to take a walk.

I would imagine he wants whatever is the most money and another mayweather fight is that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Conor vs Floyd 2 would be a dream fight for Dana and the UFC. Everyone involved makes a tonne more cash than they would out of Conor vs Khabib.

Cyrus wrote: »
    I would imagine he wants whatever is the most money and another mayweather fight is that

If that's all that motivates him, would be a big shame. You'd assume he has enough money.

You might be right though. I used to think McGregor had a desire to prove himself as a great MMA fighter... Now he is like some sort of exclusive circus performer.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Conor vs Floyd 2 would be a dream fight for Dana and the UFC. Everyone involved makes a tonne more cash than they would out of Conor vs Khabib.

I'm not sure I agree. I think it would probably sell less than MvM 1.

Conor Vs Khabib is the fight people want to see.

Conor is 29 now too.. the UFC have to balance short term rewards with long term strategy. They can't allow a maniac like McGregor to walk all over them, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor is 29 now too.. the UFC have to balance short term rewards with long term strategy. They can't allow a maniac like McGregor to walk all over them, all the time.

Sure they can, as long as he is making them money.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Sure they can, as long as he is making them money.

Sooner or later they mighy tell him to shag off, and he will have nowhere to turn, other than bizarre interdisciplinary 'exhibition matches', while the real fighters compete for real belts and trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If that's all that motivates him, would be a big shame. You'd assume he has enough money.

You might be right though. I used to think McGregor had a desire to prove himself as a great MMA fighter... Now he is like some sort of exclusive circus performer.

Has he not proved that he is a great MMA fighter already... surely the goal now is to get richer whilst not getting brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well he's plenty of motivation for a rematch seeing as he lost.

But I dunno, I don't see why people are confused that professional fighters are motivated by money. It's why they risk life and limb, to get paid as best possible in as little fights.

Yeah, sure, some have other motivation, but McGregor has never kept it a secret he's all about that $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do ya think there's a chance if this (mayweather)did go ahead the numbers would be lower than they anticipated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Remember when he went to Ibiza after the Mayweather fight. He went mad when he saw a massive yacht. He'll always want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

J Mysterio wrote:
    Conor Vs Khabib is the fight people want to see.

Conor vs Khabib is the fight MMA fans want to see but the great unwashed want to see Conor vs Floyd 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Doesn't that then follow that the great unwashed would want to see Connor vs Floyd 2 in a boxing ring?

Why bother with an mma bout (or even a bastardized hybrid of one) if they are going to be trying to appeal to the general public.

Makes no sense..................

eagle eye wrote: »
    Conor vs Khabib is the fight MMA fans want to see but the great unwashed want to see Conor vs Floyd 2.

Yup, UFC 223 prelims did 900k views. If that's any indicator of buys, then it's looking like another disappointing result for the UFC. Khabib isn't a draw. (He's probably a draw in Russia, but those guys aren't paying for fights)

Doesn't that then follow that the great unwashed would want to see Connor vs Floyd 2 in a boxing ring?

Why bother with an mma bout (or even a bastardized hybrid of one) if they are going to be trying to appeal to the general public.

Makes no sense..................

They need to change the game even if ever so slightly to get peoples attention again. People now know that McGregor has a tiny chance in a boxing ring. But people will get hoodwinked again by the whole spectacle, even if it just boxing rules in an octagon with 4 oz gloves. It might not do 4.5m PPV buys, but they are prob guaranteed 3M+ which is insane for a UFC card. The amount of other eyes they could get on potential stars is crazy.

Here's Mayweather the other night speaking about it anyway for those that didn't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

NYSAC can ban him, or just refuse to grant him a licence to fight in NY again.

If NYSAC ban him, every other state athletic commission will uphold their ban, as they have an agreement between states to uphold each other's bans.

Suppose they take no action in NY though, could the Nevada Commission still impose their own sanction, or is it limited to the commission of the state in which the incident occurred?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,072 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Not sure how you can blame Ariel for this chap not listening.

:confused:

I was blaming Conor and Crowley for throwing heavy objects through bus windows. Instead of blaming Ali for not knowing who a random ammy fighter from Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

eagle eye wrote: »

In all honesty I wouldn't be so sure of that, the first fight stunk the place out and though you will always get an event junkie following etc there is no way there would be as much interest in a second fight.

What questions are there to be answered by a Conor v Floyd 2 other than how much more money can we milk out of people to dance with each other again?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Mellor wrote: »
    :confused:

I was blaming Conor and Crowley for throwing heavy objects through bus windows. Instead of blaming Ali for not knowing who a random ammy fighter from Ireland is.

They are not mutually exclusive.

You can blame Conor and Cowley for throwing the stuff at the bus and also think Ali is a dickhead for thinking that he knew better than Ariel. Five, six times Ariel tried to tell him he was mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

pudzey101 wrote: »

Conor fears Khabib and the bus incident proved it. Hes all fart and no ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The whole reason the first Mayweather McGregor fight done as well as it did was beacuse there was an air of mystery about it. Could Conor connect and would his power transfer to the boxing ring.

MayMac under MMA rules holds absolutely no intrigue whatsoever. Floyd is getting the **** kicked out of him straight simple. The thought of that build up again with the face offs and shouting and faux hatred of each other turns my stomach. I think even the masses would tune out for this one after being stung for 100 bucks for what was served up the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,072 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are not mutually exclusive.

You can blame Conor and Cowley for throwing the stuff at the bus and also think Ali is a dickhead for thinking that he knew better than Ariel. Five, six times Ariel tried to tell him he was mistaken.
    I thought it was quite clear that Ali was refering to Crowley, "the kickboxer". He got the names mixed up (after being led my Ariel). The reason he as insist was likely because he was told that the kickboxing coach was charged.

You are making out that he baselessly brought the striking coach out of nowhere. Not what happened. If Ariel said "I think it was a different striker, not Roddy", then it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Do ya think there's a chance if this (mayweather)did go ahead the numbers would be lower than they anticipated?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Only speaking anecdotally here, but personally I would have incredible difficulty getting hyped for a McGregor / Mayweather rematch of any kind. It's pretty clear that Mayweather outclasses McGregor in boxing and although we have no actual result to prove it, it seems like a no-brainer that McGregor would outclass Mayweather in MMA, particularly since MMA involved techniques that Mayweather has very little experience of, whereas boxing is more like MMA, but missing a whole bunch of stuff. My unscientific view is that it's easier to learn an art which involves restricting yourself to just one of your existing abilities, as opposed to learning one which involves entirely new and unfamiliar ones - the latter would take far, far longer. So it strikes me that the result of an MMA bout between them would be a foregone conclusion and would prove absolutely nothing, except "picking up entirely new fighting techniques after years and years of using your own ones is ridiculously difficult".

Tl;dr, the boxing match was interesting because if you're an MMA fighter you have to know some boxing techniques already anyway, so it's more a case of only being allowed to use some of your skills as opposed to all of them. An MMA fight wouldn't be interesting because as a boxer, there's a whole bunch of extra stuff in MMA which you never need to master, so you're at a far greater disadvantage as a boxer against a seasoned MMA fighter than as an MMA fighter against a seasoned boxer. Floyd would lose, but it would surprise absolutely nobody and prove absolutely nothing of interest.

I'd still watch it, but there's no way it would have the buildup and anticipation of the boxing match last summer.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought it was quite clear that Ali was refering to Crowley, "the kickboxer". He got the names mixed up (after being led my Ariel). The reason he as insist was likely because he was told that the kickboxing coach was charged.

You are making out that he baselessly brought the striking coach out of nowhere. Not what happened. If Ariel said "I think it was a different striker, not Roddy", then it would be a different story.

You need to get some Q tips and watch the clip again :P

Ariel didn't mention Roddy's name in response to Ali asking about the kickboxing coach (as you keep saying). It wasn't until Ali asked who McGregor's "striking coach" was that Roddy's name was then (naturally) brought into it but even then Ariel premised it with: "NOT Owen Roddy" and then proceeded to try and tell Ali, over and over again, that Owen was NOT the person he had seen throwing stuff but he wasn't having any of it.

Here's exactly what was said (at 4h 20m 22s):

Ali: His coach, what's his name, kickboxing coach, what's his name?
    Ariel: I DON'T KNOW HIS NAME.
    Ali: Striking coach, his striking coach?
    Ariel: NOT Owen Roddy.
    Ali: Owen Roddy!
    Ariel: NO, HE WASN'T THERE.
    Ali: 100% he was there.
    Ariel: NO WAY.
    Ali: He was there!
    Ariel: HE WASN'T
    Ali: Owen Roddy was there!
    Ariel: I think it's someone who looks like Owen Roddy?
    Ali: I am telling you Owen Roddy was there.
    Ariel (frustrated): Okay. Alright...
    Ali: He was there!
    Ariel: I'll have to look to see if I see him but I don't think he was there.
    Ali: That's who I saw first, that's how I knew it was Conor. He threw a trash can at the side of the bus. Three trash cans were thrown. One from Owen Roddy.
    Ariel: Owen, are you sure? He just doesn't strike me as the kinda guy to come over and.....
    Ali: Look, I don't know the fcuking guy... why would I just accuse him? He throw the first trash can into the side..... etc etc etc.

The chap is a muppet, to say the least, and it's not as simple as him getting mixed up. How clearer could Ariel have been that the guy he was talking about was not Owen Roddy. And also, him saying that Rose was "begging for her life"?? What a clown. Nothing would please me more than to see that chap get a slap off any one of the four people he called bitches and pussies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement