Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

voting while out of the country

• 09-04-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

cant seem to find a straight answer online!
    I will be out of the country when the vote for the next referendum is taking place.
    (I will be in Spain if this helps)
    Can i vote? online? postal? embassy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

keithc420 wrote: »
    I will be out of the country when the vote for the next referendum is taking place.

Cycling forum?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thread moved to politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Assuming you are just an ordinary citizen (and without going into the limited exceptions) the short answer is no.
    You must present yourself at your polling station to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ireland does not do online or embassy voting. A good thing in my opinion.

Postal votes are only for the infirm or those whose essential duties on polling day prevent them from attending their home polling station in person. So as mentioned above, if you're out of the country for whatever personal reason that day, you will not be voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

keithc420 wrote: »

If you are on holidays. No
    If you are living there. No - but if you have been living there less than 18 months you can return home to vote
    If you are working there. No in most cases

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html#leb892
    You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre but you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    A member of the Garda Síochána
    A whole-time member of the Defence Forces.
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

Of a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution in Ireland, which is away from your home address where you are registered
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anything more than extremely limited postal voting is a massive threat to the integrity of the electoral process, IMO.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement