Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to music for LC

Options
  • 09-04-2018 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have been playing the piano for 6 months now and I enjoy music, I have the form for my 5th year subjects and I was wondering if someone with no music theory experience would be able to take music for the leaving cert, The subject I want to swap it with is geography which I only have one year experience as I never did it in 1st and 2nd year, any advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Geography is easier to pick up with little experience than music is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scrawletonxd

Thanks for the reply, I’m passionate about music but not geography and I really want to do it, so I’m going to wait for a few more replies and if I have to do geography I will ^_^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you absolutely no theory? Do you understand written music, can you follow it?
    Roughly what grade do you think you are playing at? I have seen it mentioned that Grade 4 or so would be required for LC.

Talk to the music teachers in your school and see what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I'm a teacher, but not a music teacher so only speaking from the experience of when I did my own leaving cert, which was nearly 10 years ago! Things may have changed.

Everyone had two instruments - I think that way you were marked at pass level even when you did higher level? I was around grade 6 on my first instrument, so had no bother playing solo. However, I had only taken up cello just before fifth year to have a second instrument. I was not strong enough, so my music teacher had me play in a quartet with students from other years that would have been very strong musicians.

You need to have a pretty good level of theory for the likes of the composing paper - I wouldn't think 18 months worth of music would be enough tbh.

Hopefully some music teachers will be able to give you better advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scrawletonxd

I’ve been busy with Jc work and study the past few days but I finally got around to asking my music teacher about this and he retranchés first second and third year because of ty’s and others joining and dropping out, so thanks for all the answers, they were helpful and I think I will go for music because 50% s for the practical and if I get familiar with the theory and composition I can probably achieve a B in the Lc , thanks again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement