Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Conferences split 2018/2019 season

Options
  • 06-04-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭

Looking at the teams as they stand,

Would the following be the most likely for next season?

Swap Leinster for Munster, and swap the Italian and the South African teams.

Therefore:
    Conf A = Warriors, Leinster, Blues, Ospreys, Benetton, Connacht, Kings.
    Conf B = Scarlets, Munster, Edinburgh, Cheetahs, Ulster, Zebre, Dragons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Conference A= Scarlets, Munster, Cardiff, Ulster, Edinburgh, Kings, Zebre

Conference B= Leinster, Glasgow, Cheetahs, Ospreys, Connacht, Treviso, Dragons

I feel this would be fair based on this season whilst also mixing it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Conference A= Scarlets, Munster, Cardiff, Ulster, Edinburgh, Kings, Zebre

Conference B= Leinster, Glasgow, Cheetahs, Ospreys, Connacht, Treviso, Dragons

I feel this would be fair based on this season whilst also mixing it up a bit.

I was about to call foul on that and say Conf B will be way harder, but actually, its just that the competition is set to improve again next year. With Ospreys on the way back, Dragons with real resources, the Italians improving and Edinburgh doing good work under Cockerill and hopefully Connacht and ulster improving, next year will be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looking at it again,
    Would it be better to swap Ulster and Connacht too, think it balances up the groups a bit more.

So basically from this season, swap the Irish, Italian, and South African teams.
    Or to put it more simply, swap the Welsh and Scottish teams..

Therefore:
    Conf A = Scarlets, Munster, Edinburgh, Cheetahs, Connacht, Zebre, Dragons.
    Conf B = Warriors, Leinster, Blues, Ulster, Ospreys, Benetton, Kings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, nobody will be picking which teams are in each conference. It's done on the overall final standings from this season. So Irish seeds 1 and 4 are in with Welsh seeds 2 and 3 and vice versa.

Conference A this season was Irish 1 and 4, Welsh 2 and 3, Scottish 1, Italian 2 and SA 2. Next season will be decided on the same system.

Lads, nobody will be picking which teams are in each conference. It's done on the overall final standings from this season. So Irish seeds 1 and 4 are in with Welsh seeds 2 and 3 and vice versa.

Conference A this season was Irish 1 and 4, Welsh 2 and 3, Scottish 1, Italian 2 and SA 2. Next season will be decided on the same system.

Were Cheetahs SA 2?

If what you've stated is true then the only changes should be the SA teams swapping and probably Munster and Leinster too.

I reckon there will be a third swap to keep it interesting and give teams a chance to play home and away against teams they only played once this season.

I'd guess that it would be Dragons and Ospreys as the third swap to balance against the SA teams swapping.

Otherwise the groups wouldn't be even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

No point in arguing how it should be. As cookieMunster was saying it's the end of season positions that will determine who goes into what conference and nothing else. What more fairer way is that?

Just found a reference that said South Africa 1 went into Conference A.
    So if that remains for next season, there will probably be only one change.
    Leinster for Munster, as it is based on the league placing and not the knockout rounds.
    If that's the case it would be a real shame, not enough of a reshuffle to keep it interesting and the league following will probably suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think the most changes that can be made is everyone having an average of 3 different opponent in their conference. That would be maximum redistribution and likely only achieved if you did it manually.

So the chances are it will be less than, probably an average of 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have to say I've paid no need whatsoever to the conferences this year. Everyone plays everyone anyway.

Advertisement