Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getfix VPN Lifetime Subscription $35

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

I posted this in the Nowtv thread but I thought it could do with it's own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wow I got this years ago when it was "just" a smart DNS. Apparently I've also had a free VPN all this time too whenever they added that...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jedijamie

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Wow I got this years ago when it was "just" a smart DNS. Apparently I've also had a free VPN all this time too whenever they added that...

How do you find the service? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

And the burning question is.... can it get US Netflix ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is this easy to setup via an amazon fire tv?
    To be able to access the US version of netflix would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I got this a couple of years ago and its great. Use it primarily for BBC iPlayer.

• Advertisement

Thanks might grab this then would love to get US Netflix and bbc iplayer via amazon fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Was thinking of getting this but after a quick google I came across this.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/getflix

Can you confirm the netflix US access?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this easy to setup via an amazon fire tv?
    To be able to access the US version of netflix would be nice...

Yeah just change the DNS to whatever their one for Ireland is, I've had it on mine for over a year so can access full UK catalog of prime video, BBC iplayer, ITV player etc. US Netflix comes and goes but even without it it's well worth the price.
    delboy76 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this but after a quick google I came across this.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/getflix

Can you confirm the netflix US access?

As I said it comes and goes, seems to work for for a while then get blocked, then usually it comes back after a while again. Mind you I only use the DNS not the VPN so maybe that's more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Am currently using SmartDNS any reason to switch apart from the price?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wasn't aware of the static routing option to stop it getting periodically blocked, must look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bromley52 wrote: »
    I posted this in the Nowtv thread but I thought it could do with it's own.

Picked up a lifetime sub last year sometime from getflix... It's brilliant with my UK NowTV account.

However my public IP changes frequently enough so I have to use No-IP to give me a free domain name... My router updates No-IP with my public IP once every hour and getflix uses that domain name lookup to get my current public IP.

So I never have to go near the getflix portal to update my IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

How many devices can it be put on.... seems unlimited??? Could that be right???

Masala wrote: »
    How many devices can it be put on.... seems unlimited??? Could that be right???
    I think I read 30?
    Just signed up....will try and setup on Amazon fire tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Have this, use it for plenty of things like Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, works perfectly.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Getflix app can refresh the ip address in seconds

sure but what happens when I'm out? And the kids want the wife to put something on?

the app is of little use to me or them then..

For me - I don't see how manually updating using the app (quite frequently) is better than letting my router do it entirely of it's own accord. Regardless of how fast the app does anything.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Have this, use it for plenty of things like Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, works perfectly.
    Would you need subscriptions to all of them though?
    I think I will be happy enough if I can just get us netflix and iplayer up and running tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

gmisk wrote: »
    Would you need subscriptions to all of them though?
    I think I will be happy enough if I can just get us netflix and iplayer up and running tbh.

Ah, subs are the easy bit. I use it on an apple TV and subscribe through iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Ah, subs are the easy bit. I use it on an apple TV and subscribe through iTunes.

How do you get around the US credit card for Hulu?

Not everyone is going to know how to do what you have done
    Where as getflix app is noob proof
    I have it bookmarked on the Mac for when my wife needs to update it

Also updating on the app allows streaming to us Netflix when I’m not at home

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Have been with expressvpn for nearly 18 months.

This is really tempting me...I use Ubuntu a lot though. Anyone using Getflix with ubuntu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

When you put in your email address they send you a code for an extra 10% off.

Nice will order it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Relevant to my interests now this thread is.

I got the 30 year offer a while ago, I wonder if it will outlive me?

But after the geoblocking by Netflix I could never get the US to work (with SKY BB anyway)

Must try again given the static IP info from earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

worth it just for iplayer.

It looks a bit mickey mouse...some mixed reviews?

I think I'll stick with ExpressVpn. You get what you pay for. Kids and Mrs Wickstaff very happy with Expressvpn ease of use.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I can't figure out how to set this up :/ I have a virgin modem if that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So how does this work on an Xbox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah just change the DNS to whatever their one for Ireland is, I've had it on mine for over a year so can access full UK catalog of prime video, BBC iplayer, ITV player etc. US Netflix comes and goes but even without it it's well worth the price.

As I said it comes and goes, seems to work for for a while then get blocked, then usually it comes back after a while again. Mind you I only use the DNS not the VPN so maybe that's more reliable.

What's a while?
    Can you estimate how often it's working, and how often it's not?

Eg if its not working for 50+% of the time then it's not really reliable, more hit and miss.

Appreciate your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

So how does this work on an Xbox ?

https://www.getflix.com.au/setup/xbox-360

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Quick question on this - if you set this up on the router level, are you then tied to the settings you pick? i.e. only American services or only UK? I would like to be able to dip in and out of US netflix on my tv or firetv stick, but would also like to keep other devices using Irish content (e.g. RTE player).

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing
    (There’s always one)

All I'm saying is that following a bit of research it does not look as polished as ExpressVPN. If you want to use a robust and safe VPN with the benefit of US Netflix etc than this might not be quite right for you.

I'm sure its great for some but having read some reviews and some of the tutorials its looks a bit ho hum.

In my opinion it is not good enough. Not being an oddball. Just saying.

Advertisement