Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot injury - tibia bone

Options
  • 05-04-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I used to run alot on a treadmill and I'm an avid outdoorsy walker. I discovered recently that on my left foot, I've a bump like its an inner ankle that has formed.

Its obvious and I've had it checked out. I got a gait scan, first time ever getting this done, and it appears that my foot arch had fell flat on that foot and thus my tibia bone moved down and now it is pressing on a nerve. I get pain now and then, and my options are either surgery or to try orthotics!

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and which route they took to remedy the issue...

Thanks in advance for any response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This is your tibia bone, is this really the one you are referring too?

a00522f01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

pconn062 wrote: »
    This is your tibia bone, is this really the one you are referring too?

a00522f01.jpg

Yes that is correct! I went to a chiropractor! Lol. She said it was very unusual to happen and it would normally be the fibula bone that would move. I suppose it's the way I've been running/walking with two wrong feet! As per my gait scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

We're not allowed to give medical advice here so I can't really say a lot, but flattening of the arch is often caused by issues relating to the tibialis posterior muscle which is involved with inversion of the foot as well as supporting the medial arch of the foot. I definitely wouldn't be heading down the surgery route without a second opinion from a physical therapist of physio. Same for orthotics actually to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

pconn062 wrote: »
    We're not allowed to give medical advice here so I can't really say a lot, but flattening of the arch is often caused by issues relating to the tibialis posterior muscle which is involved with inversion of the foot as well as supporting the medial arch of the foot. I definitely wouldn't be heading down the surgery route without a second opinion from a physical therapist of physio. Same for orthotics actually to be honest.

Many thanks for your reply, I do appreciate that information. Yes exactly my sentiment aswel...I potentially will source a second opinion, but even if I did get the orthotics, it will support my feet better... although it may not alleviate the nerve pain, which is infrequent and sporadic, hence why I've already ruled out any possibility of surgery

Advertisement