Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses from train station

Options
  • 04-04-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭

I have just been trying to organise someone coming to Tramore from the rail station on a bus. It seems that there are no buses from Plunkett at all now, you have to hike all the way to the bus station. Am I missing something, or is that the case?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You get on and off st the depot on the quay and take the short walk over the bridge to the railway station. Taxis outside the depot generally and Railway station for those unable to walk.

I'd assume it's due to lack of space on site to have buses mixing with cars and pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It may be a short walk if you are young and fit, but for my elderly friend who will have been travelling all day, crossing the bridge could be a very cold and wet experience. Why not a single shuttle bus meeting trains? Or a multi-passenger taxi, I doubt most taxis would be keen on doing that length of a trip for an individual.

We have now managed to organise a lift so it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah it only takes five minutes but can be a horrible walk if windy or rainy!

Taxis wouldn’t care money is money, especially for an elderly person. I’m sure you won’t be the first to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

looksee wrote: »
    It may be a short walk if you are young and fit, but for my elderly friend who will have been travelling all day, crossing the bridge could be a very cold and wet experience. Why not a single shuttle bus meeting trains? Or a multi-passenger taxi, I doubt most taxis would be keen on doing that length of a trip for an individual.

We have now managed to organise a lift so it will be ok.
    Yeah it only takes five minutes but can be a horrible walk if windy or rainy!

Taxis wouldn’t care money is money, especially for an elderly person. I’m sure you won’t be the first to ask

For all the talk about "integrated transport hubs" it is pretty poor that people have to walk that distance. Yeah if you're young and fit and it's a sunny day, great, but we have lots of bad weather in this country, and plenty of people who aren't fleet of foot - and then what if you've got luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »
    For all the talk about "integrated transport hubs" it is pretty poor that people have to walk that distance. Yeah if you're young and fit and it's a sunny day, great, but we have lots of bad weather in this country, and plenty of people who aren't fleet of foot - and then what if you've got luggage?

For those who can't walk 400m dragging a bag, taxi, its not ideal but for the amount of people using public transport in Waterford, its not a major big deal I'd guess.Will be great improved when rail station moves to north quays, etc.a pain for wheelchair people etc but when these things were put in place 100 years ago, disability, integrating transport or old age just wasn't thought of. There is I'd guess no money to subsidise a bus from train to bus station....the amount of times it would be used is probably tiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It used to me more integrated, but it wasn't a good bus station either. Wasn't really room for a proper bus station across the bridge at the time and they can't just move the train station easily either. Maybe the new development will open better options.

Max Powers wrote: »
    For those who can't walk 400m dragging a bag, taxi, its not ideal but for the amount of people using public transport in Waterford, its not a major big deal I'd guess.Will be great improved when rail station moves to north quays, etc.a pain for wheelchair people etc but when these things were put in place 100 years ago, disability, integrating transport or old age just wasn't thought of. There is I'd guess no money to subsidise a bus from train to bus station....the amount of times it would be used is probably tiny

Its 650m, including a very busy and large roundabout and a cold and exposed bridge. It does not need a subsidised bus, a large taxi offering a group trip across to the bus station and town centre for, say €2 pp would soon establish if it was viable. I am not sure those sort of multi-person trips would be permitted by the taxi groups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

looksee wrote: »
    Its 650m, including a very busy and large roundabout and a cold and exposed bridge. It does not need a subsidised bus, a large taxi offering a group trip across to the bus station and town centre for, say €2 pp would soon establish if it was viable. I am not sure those sort of multi-person trips would be permitted by the taxi groups though.

My guess is that would be completely unviable, there just isn't the numbers getting a train to Waterford and then requiring a connecting bus, and those that do walk the 600m to town mostly, bit of rain not big deal, yeah its bad setup for people with disabilities and we should be doing more but the money/numbers aren't there I'd suspect.if I was getting off train to say pick up my car on quay,I wouldn't wait for this €2 bus, even in the rain, I'd rather just walk over, get wet, bit cold etc.that's just me though,I know some might find it handy but I just don't see many, loads of people are picked up at station, some walk across and others hang around for taxi, I'd suspect most of these taxi people are going further than city centre.

loads of people are picked up at station, some walk across and others hang around for taxi, I'd suspect most of these taxi people are going further than city centre

Yes, that's kind of what I was saying...

Advertisement