Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for my ten year old but not sure who’s best.

Options
  • 01-04-2018 10:08pm

Evening, I have a ten year old daughter only child who is having difficulty at times interacting with her own age group to the point she alienates herself mostly by showing off or acting older but then seemingly not being able to fully read the negative responses her actions get her.

I’d like to get her help and see somebody if only to confirm this is ok behavior, i’m not sure who would be best suited to talk to her so any suggestions would be happily received, Gary.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you spoken with her class teacher? It sounds like her self esteem is a little low and that this is how she is compensating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I know the name of a play therapist based in South Central Dublin. Pm me if you would like her name. A former colleague recommended her in a general sense and while I don't have direct experience of her service it could be someone to phone for advice? She may offer an appointment or she may recommend someone else.

Have you spoken with her class teacher? It sounds like her self esteem is a little low and that this is how she is compensating.

It’s a school led issue as they have identified the difficulties she is having, there is a 2 year waiting list for local services :(

She seems to be very confident which maybe part of the problem, thay had a cancer awareness day recently and she lectured the class on how lucky they all were to still have their own hair and should think more about bald people.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I know the name of a play therapist based in South Central Dublin. Pm me if you would like her name. A former colleague recommended her in a general sense and while I don't have direct experience of her service it could be someone to phone for advice? She may offer an appointment or she may recommend someone else.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DalaiAlma

Cash_Q wrote: »

Just to highlight that recommending individual therapists is against the rules of the forum as per this sticky post: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055169338/2/#post70339499

OP, if you are seeking help for finding someone to help your child, there's some guidance in the link above.

• Advertisement

DalaiAlma wrote: »
    Just to highlight that recommending individual therapists is against the rules of the forum as per this sticky post: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055169338/2/#post70339499

OP, if you are seeking help for finding someone to help your child, there's some guidance in the link above.

I’m more interested in the type of therapy than the whom, my wife has bipolar schizoaffective disorder and I’m fully aware of the frustrations that come with trying to find the right help, the idea of the post is to hopefully educate myself so I can help my daughter better.

An educational psychologist would be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Gary, a chat with your GP might be useful also.
    If there's a two year waiting list for HSE services, your GP might know of a reputable person nearby who could advise you- whether that's a Child Psychotherapist, Play Therapist or Psychologist, is often down to the individual's expertise, training, and interests.

THere's a lot of things that could be going on for her and a good assessment would be the first point- you'll need different supports if it's an emotional/attachment issue versus a "social learning" issue versus an attention issue versus high IQ etc etc.

Advertisement