Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Word on the street is Dublin Coach are at loggerheads with the DAA again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Feel like a bit of an idiot (and a bit aggrieved at the same time). Arrived at the bus stop in Limerick yesterday to see a few different buses - some heading to Dublin, but no bright green bus. Time was ticking on, and eventually an orange Darby O'Gill bus pulled off and only then did I notice the 300 number on it. Sure enough it was the Dublin Coach in an off-brand bus. Thankfully it was a nice day, so standing around in the sunshine for half an hour wasn't too bad, but time and money lost...

Going to have to check buses more carefully in the future.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

As for an experience that's on them, spent 2.5 hours shuddering one journey recently because the bus was a bit rickety. Thankfully didn't break down, but felt like it could fall apart at any moment!

🤪

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Feel like a bit of an idiot (and a bit aggrieved at the same time). Arrived at the bus stop in Limerick yesterday to see a few different buses - some heading to Dublin, but no bright green bus. Time was ticking on, and eventually an orange Darby O'Gill bus pulled off and only then did I notice the 300 number on it. Sure enough it was the Dublin Coach in an off-brand bus. Thankfully it was a nice day, so standing around in the sunshine for half an hour wasn't too bad, but time and money lost...

Darby O'Gill is part of the Dublin Coach group, they also have some in blue and one in white as well as the yellow ones.

About what? Parking in the Coach Park or the car park stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Witnessed one of their double deckers nearly tear the front off an SUV in front of me this morning on the N7 because of the aggressive lane-hopping of its driver.

Did call them and report it though.. do the NTA have any responsibility here though? Given the frequency I see their buses at this kinda thing it might make more of an impression on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Witnessed one of their double deckers nearly tear the front off an SUV in front of me this morning on the N7 because of the aggressive lane-hopping of its driver.

Did call them and report it though.. do the NTA have any responsibility here though? Given the frequency I see their buses at this kinda thing it might make more of an impression on them.

Report to traffic watch they tend to take it very serious if reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They have done Sweet NTA about the constant breakdowns, wheels coming loose, fires and multiple tacho/working hour violations so safe to say they will do nothing about a driving complaint either.

In Britain an outfit this bad would have been in front of a Traffic Commissioner by now and based on the fate of similar cowboys would probably have had their Operator licence revoked or severely restricted by now.

It is obvious that there is effectively no oversight or consequences for running a substandard public bus service in this country. NTA do nothing more than hand out the licences, once you have that bit of paper you can do whatever you like from running no service at all to putting the public at risk through illegal and dangerous practices with no fear of any sanction on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Is the new K coach service operated by Dublin Coach by any chance or a division of them. There're using the old Aircoach now DC setras. They are getting some working for an old coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Is the new K coach service operated by Dublin Coach by any chance or a division of them. There're using the old Aircoach now DC setras. They are getting some working for an old coach.

http://www.glenwhelantravel.com

this seems to be k coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Stand and watch all the Dublin Coaches as they enter the restricted speed limit on the N7 roadworks. They go through the 60kph limit at full speed. not just a bit over. Nearly double the limit.

No way I would ever step foot into one of those coaches . Monkeys driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Stand and watch all the Dublin Coaches as they enter the restricted speed limit on the N7 roadworks. They go through the 60kph limit at full speed. not just a bit over. Nearly double the limit.

This is what the NTA want.
    The usual suspects will defend this, as its not CIE

Question is though how much is down to drivers and how much is down to management? The recent articles in relation to the road safety authority would suggest there are not just issues with drivers themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

devnull wrote: »
    Question is though how much is down to drivers and how much is down to management? The recent articles in relation to the road safety authority would suggest there are not just issues with drivers themselves.

The NTA signed of on this cowboy outfit, does not fill one with confidence.

bebeman wrote: »
    The NTA signed of on this cowboy outfit, does not fill one with confidence.

The NTA issued licenses for the routes wholly in the ROI yes - but the vast majority of the issues post date these licenses being issued. The opinion of Dublin Coach in the eyes of customers 2-3 years ago was much better than it is now - they had people literally begging them to serve them.

The Department of Transport has devolved road safety responsibility to the Road Safety Authority so this is the party that would be responsible for ensuring safety on our roads, shown by the fact they have prosecuted Dublin Coach on a number of accounts recently.

However certainly the laws need to be changed so the likes of the RSA can impose proper and meaningful penalties on such operators rather than the paltry ones which they have imposed on Dublin Coach so far. A system like they have in the UK as Vic has outlined would be far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Unfortunately so do all the other vehicles.

Ten years ago I received penalty points for driving at 80 km/h on the N7 roadworks east of RedCow. Again the temporary speed restriction was 60km/h.

Not wanting to experience the same penalty yesterday, I got into the slow lane and gently decelerated to about 75km/h, but the drivers behind were not amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tabbey wrote: »
    Unfortunately so do all the other vehicles.

Ten years ago I received penalty points for driving at 80 km/h on the N7 roadworks east of RedCow. Again the temporary speed restriction was 60km/h.

Not wanting to experience the same penalty yesterday, I got into the slow lane and gently decelerated to about 75km/h, but the drivers behind were not amused.

The problem with these particular roadworks (as someone who drives that road daily myself), is the limit is imposed too early on the city-side and is artificially low for the current conditions - with minimal actual works happening on the main line most of the time, a limit of 80/90 would currently be more suitable.

The result is that trying to stick to the 60.. or even 70ish.. is an extremely stressful and frustrating experience, added to by the other traffic shooting past and trying to get into your back seat (tailgating).

It's taking far longer to do these works than it should but that apparently is down to how the contracts (more accurately payment installments for them) have been designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The NTA issued licenses for the routes wholly in the ROI yes - but the vast majority of the issues post date these licenses being issued. The opinion of Dublin Coach in the eyes of customers 2-3 years ago was much better than it is now - they had people literally begging them to serve them.

The Department of Transport has devolved road safety responsibility to the Road Safety Authority so this is the party that would be responsible for ensuring safety on our roads, shown by the fact they have prosecuted Dublin Coach on a number of accounts recently.

However certainly the laws need to be changed so the likes of the RSA can impose proper and meaningful penalties on such operators rather than the paltry ones which they have imposed on Dublin Coach so far. A system like they have in the UK as Vic has outlined would be far better.

The RSA are another useless top heavy government body. The work of them could be done be done by the DoT and AGS. Another organisation that only exists to create more bereaucracy and give out more overpaid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not only that, but I have also seen them doing their 'thing' in the outside lane.

On the speeding, it's not only DC, I have also seen aircoach ( i think they are the blue coaches, right? ) also going full tilt.

The problem with these particular roadworks (as someone who drives that road daily myself), is the limit is imposed too early on the city-side and is artificially low for the current conditions - with minimal actual works happening on the main line most of the time, a limit of 80/90 would currently be more suitable.

The result is that trying to stick to the 60.. or even 70ish.. is an extremely stressful and frustrating experience, added to by the other traffic shooting past and trying to get into your back seat (tailgating).

It's taking far longer to do these works than it should but that apparently is down to how the contracts (more accurately payment installments for them) have been designed.

You touch on a couple of issues here Kaiser:

1) The speeding -As a driver who also is a daily user of the N/M 7 I see there is now a flashing sign stating already 68 prosecutions have been issued. I wonder where the Gardaí/gatso's can park/hide? Totally agree with You on the 60KPH limit.

2) Just why is there only daylight work happening here? I'm not driving this weekend but I bet there is no work being done? This road is so critical for all users, it should be a 24/7 operation.

Reason being?

• Advertisement

2 things for me here:

1) AFAIK, a coach's speed limit in the ROI is 100KPH. I have driven down the N/M 7 at 100-110KOH, and not only DC, but JJKavanagh & especially the blue coaches ( I am almost certain Aircoach ) going past me in the outside lane, which I am almost certain, is illegal &

2) Management in DC HAVE a responsibility. Surely they should have their crocks governed?

You touch on a couple of issues here Kaiser:

2) Just why is there only daylight work happening here? I'm not driving this weekend but I bet there is no work being done? This road is so critical for all users, it should be a 24/7 operation.

There was no work there yesterday, Good Friday, but the temporary speed limit applies 24/7.

The same was true when I got points ten years ago at Red Cow Hotel. On that occasion, the widening work had been completely finished, but the speed limit had yet to be returned to normal, hence a Garda took advantage of a soft target for his/her quota.

In the UK i think it is regular practice to have variable speed limits depending on circumstances. These can be announced on (LED) illuminated display boards

1) AFAIK, a coach's speed limit in the ROI is 100KPH. I have driven down the N/M 7 at 100-110KOH, and not only DC, but BE JJKavanagh & especially the blue coaches ( I am almost certain Eircoach ) going past me in the outside lane, which I am almost certain, is illegal

Only ones I have seen doing it are Dublin Coach - however I'm not on that road very often at all so other people who are on it more regular would have a better idea than I would.
    Management in DC HAVE a responsibility. Surely they should have their crocks governed?

See:
    https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/crime-and-courts/296245/dublin-coach-bus-company-that-services-laois-and-kildare-fined-6-000.html
    &
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/304132/road-safety-authority-slams-two-kildare-bus-companies-trading-as-dublin-coach-after-11-000-fines-issued.html

2 things for me here:

1) AFAIK, a coach's speed limit in the ROI is 100KPH. I have driven down the N/M 7 at 100-110KOH, and not only DC, but BE JJKavanagh & especially the blue coaches ( I am almost certain Aircoach ) going past me in the outside lane,

Speedometers are made to over read.

It is possible that when you believe you are moving at 100-110 km/h, you may actually be under 100km/h.

Only ones I have seen doing it are Dublin Coach - however I'm not on that road very often at all so other people who are on it more regular would have a better idea than I would.
    ]

Since Dublin Coach is by far the most prolific operator on the N7/M7 corridor, it is usually the one we notice.

I cannot say that the others are less likely to speed, it seems like all coaches are under pressure to reduce journey times to a minimum, not just for public satisfaction, but also because there is limited scope for recovering time at the terminus, before the return journey.
    They probably have learned from Mr O'Leary of Ryanair - keep them moving, dwell time is a waste of capital and payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They caught fire when with aircoach also. They are worn out junkers so is it any wonder they catch fire.

Worked hard but maintained well with first operator.

Worked hard now but maintaining them doesn't seem top priority.

They caught fire when with aircoach also. They are worn out junkers so is it any wonder they catch fire.

The 2003 ones suffered from gearbox issues with Aircoach which is why they were replaced far quicker than the 2004 ones, but never went up on fire.

One 2004 one went on fire in Balinteer but the damage was not fatal and it re-entered service following a body rebuild by Evobus whilst one of them was permanently withdrawn from service in 2016 due to technical issues and was apparently scrapped. The rest of the 2004 ones went to Dublin Coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Just another well maintained Dublin Coach on the Curragh this morning!!
    Sorry for the poor quality photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Is it leaning or was it the road surface?
    As for the lighting,chances are it was already blown when (if) the daily walk around check was done.

Shame the reg can't be made out because I reported one of those things with the exact same issue months ago.

Because the marker on the top is not working, nor the cluster on the bottom right, it's an electrical fault rather than bulbs

Advertisement