Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah the i3 is (from what I have heard), but don't forget it's an extremely expensive car to manufacture. I'd say BMW have never made any money on them?

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say BMW have never made any money on them?

No Idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 said they made money on them from day 1!

I suppose the selling price is pretty high too and the options have huge margins.

Still the cheapest carbon fiber car by a long shot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,737 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

By the way these chargers are from this company http://www.eccharging.ie/about-ec-charging/

I do not recommend them, they are plagued with issues !
    They are linked to carcharger.ie

Who ran off with customers (incl large I/C customers) money with no install done.

Definitely one to AVOID for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭zoom_cool

lrRn3vV.jpg

Thanks Mad_Lad i wasn't convinced by the Blue and Black but it is growing on me.

I have taken it on back roads it is very good fun to drive alright the only negative I have with it is on a windy day on the motorway it moves around alot more that my Golf GTD.

I suppose this is down to it being light on the front. I love getting into drive it every time its a nicer drive than the Golf GTD so much more smoother.

I checked the Max Battery Capacity last night and it is showing 29.9Kw usable I am able to get up to work and back 170km without using the REX on battery alone doing 100Km motorway driving very happy and the temps. outside are low so should improve alot once we get some decent weather.

:D

No definitely the Blue looks great.

I just checked this morning and I have 29.7 Kwh or so it tells me, up from about 28.5 ish I think if I remember correctly when I got it.

The problem with the i3 is that it absolutely begs you to hammer the throttle, you can sense it angry with you if you drive it gently, it's just so bloody tempting to drive it hard. I find it quiet a bit more refined than the Leaf particularly at speed and much less road and wind noise though the 19 inch wheels can throw up some road noise on rough surfaces.

Yes the wind can blow it around a bit but in general it's quiet a bit more stable than the Leaf on the motorway particularly at speed and the handling is of course a lot better the steering has good feel and is direct.

Getting 170 Kms should be handy enough and when I turned eco pro on for the laugh after getting into the car today the GOM said 250 kms but this is probably taking into account there'd be no heat and limit of 90 Km/h. Perhaps in milder weather you could do it with no heat or AC and under 100 Km/h or less.

3 phase cable arrived, can't wait to try it out.

22 Kwh in 2 hrs or close enough !

That's the entire available Kwh in a 24 Kwh Leaf charged to 100% ! :D

Where would you use it?

Any 22 Kw AC point.

I use AC more than DC anyway because I'm not that keen on hanging around waiting at DC points and when I get somewhere with an AC point 11 Kw will give me a substantial charge after 2 hrs.

On a long motorway run I might just use the Rex and then AC in town. Or top up for 10 mins , Rex gives me much greater choice and freedom.

• Advertisement

Any 22 Kw AC point.

Not the answer I was looking for. I was hoping you'd explain why 11kW is so much better than 7.2kW for a destination charger. I can see your point if there are many places you go to for just about 1.5 hours maybe 2 but never any longer, but if you're going to Dublin for the day, or to a shopping mall, what's the difference?

Maybe your favourite restaurant in your town has a 22kW charger beside it and the car would be fully charged when you and the missus have a 1:45 hour meal? :)

The difference being an extra 4 Kwh in an hour 8 Kwh more than 7 kw in 2 hrs, etc, means a lot less time sitting around at DC points or waiting for others to charge ahead of me.

Oh I'll still use DC on a longer Motorway run maybe but AC will eliminate a lot of the inconvenience of DC charging.

Or imagine a charger being down or 1-3 electric cars waiting in a queue ? oops, 3kwh Leaf owners are screwed, 6.6 Kw Leaf owners and 7 Kw Ioniq owners not so much and even less for 11 Kw i3 Owners and much less for Zoe owners.

Even if I rarely use 11 Kw it's far better to have it than want it, I have it anyway so I may as well use it.

I'm not trying to convince you anyway I know you see Ac as being only for home use, especially considering you got DC just down the road. I don't so AC in Carlow are going to be my fast chargers when I'm in town , just one example.

The difference being an extra 4 Kwh in an hour 8 Kwh more than 7 kw in 2 hrs, etc, means a lot less time sitting around at DC points or waiting for others to charge ahead of me.

That doesn't compute. You have REX, why wait at a fast charger at all, ever?

I'm not trying to convince you anyway I know you see Ac as being only for home use,

No I don't. I have AC charged 3 times in the past month or so. Destination charging when I'm going to be there for several hours anyway. In all 3 cases (Kildare village outlet, Dundrum shopping centre and Bray seaside) I got better parking than had I not charged, which helps too.

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't compute. You have REX, why wait at a fast charger at all, ever?

I don't have to that's the beauty of the Rex I'll probably use AC a lot more but the choice is there.

Certainly on long motorway trips it's great not to have to rely on charging but if I want to stop for the toilet or coffee I can get some free juice at the same time and if someone is charging it's no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I don't have to that's the beauty of the Rex I'll probably use AC a lot more but the choice is there.

Certainly on long motorway trips it's great not to have to rely on charging but if I want to stop for the toilet or coffee I can get some free juice at the same time and if someone is charging it's no big deal.

Exactly

Network is for everyone

if I want to stop for the toilet or coffee I can get some free juice at the same time and if someone is charging it's no big deal.

Surely you are not going to get the cable out of your car, connect it to your car and to the slow charger, go on your 15 minute break, disconnect the cable from the charger and from your car and drop it in the boot, for a saving of €0.20?

Even if you did, it would take 100 of these stops before the cable would have even paid for itself :eek:

Huh ? no I mean fast charge.

Ah ok. You still haven't given any reason what the big benefit is of 11kW slow charging over 7.2kW?

And I can't think of any reason other than that you are at one or more specific slow chargers regularly for a set time like 2h but not longer where you wouldn't bother connecting at 7.2kW but where the 11kW would give you a near full range so that you don't have to plug in at home or something like that?

I'm trying to understand your reasoning, but sometimes it's not that easy :p

thierry14 wrote: »
    Exactly

Network is for everyone
    I see the point you are making here and I agree.
    Why is Mad Lad allowing his PHEV (BEVx) to use the FCP network and that's fine but the Outlander PHEV is not?

• Advertisement

I know you don't get AC charging and refuse to get it and have convinced yourself it's of no use. ;) and see AC as only for home charging.

I'm am trying to get the message across to others and hey, that might keep more DC chargers free for you ! :D

I use AC and 11 Kw is obviously better than 6 or 7 Kw because you'll get more Kwh in less time so it's really rather obvious the benefit.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I see the point you are making here and I agree.
    Why is Mad Lad allowing his PHEV (BEVx) to use the FCP network and that's fine but the Outlander PHEV is not?

What ? I never said the Outlander shouldn't use the FCPs ?

thierry14 wrote: »
    Exactly

Network is for everyone

What are you talking about ?

I know you don't get AC charging and refuse to get it

Did you not read any of my replies? I have AC charged myself about 3 times this month alone. It does make sense as destination charging if you are going to be somewhere for hours / for the day / overnight (but it's not scalable but that's a different discussion)

I really struggle to see why 11kW destination charging has a huge benefit over 7.2kW destination charging unless you are destination charging in very specific circumstances very regularly (and maybe the destination charge will save you from having to plug in at home)

What ? I never said the Outlander shouldn't use the FCPs ?
    Apologies if I've remembered incorrectly but I thought you were against PHEV drivers using the network?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Apologies if I've remembered incorrectly but I thought you were against PHEV drivers using the network?

No absolutely not, anyone can use the network but I would be in favour if PHEV owners would move on if a BEV owner arrived.

Having said that there are plenty of BEV owners abusing the network as I experienced regularly in Naas , some people threat the charger as their own.

Drove to Dublin yesterday and used Rex on the way home, turned it on around Naas South.

Drove 130 Kmh and turned off the M9 at the Athy Crookstown turn off and back on to the old N9 , it used 4% battery after bout 30 kms and 130 kph and by the time I got to a few kms before Castledermot I had regained the 4 %.

Driving at 110 kph looses no battery % and driving at 100 kph will see it regain some % , I'd like to know how much it will allow to be charged by the Rex.

2 fingers up to the tesco fast charger at Naas as I was flying by. What a great feeling !

So that used my 2nd 8 litre tank of petrol in nearly 9,000 kms driving. I then filled up 4 litres which gave me slightly over half a tank from almost empty !

Rex is amazing !!!

I had to go into town again and plugged in at 38% and 1 hr later got to 73.5%.

I'm pretty happy with that 11 Kw charger, it's definitely very useful !

You can see the start and finish times, the finish time is a few mins after plugging out.

DCl9C3e.png?2

0XCdQoH.png?2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm gonna piggyback on your thread Mad_Lad if that's ok?!

If someone was looking at a '14 or '15 REx, would the DC charging option be necessary? Couldn't you just REx it home/destination?
    Following on from that, is it possible to never charge the car, and run it permanently on the REx?
    I know that's not ideal/practical, but is it possible?

• Advertisement

Yes it's possible to drive solely on Rex but it might suffer some power loss at high speeds with depleted battery, the 22 Kwh Rex ( 18 usable ) has a slightly less powerful Rex too so not sure how this effects power.

Also charging on DC is slower.

So in my opinion I would always have the DC charging option , if the 22 Kwh had the 3 phase 11 Kw charger I would say it would be less necessary to have the DC option but I'd still like it because an EV should have as much charging flexibility as possible.

But yes, it's possible to drive it around all the time only on petrol but that would defeat the purpose, it's not designed for this.

And another important factor to bear in mind is that the battery won't like being in a constant low state of charge and this will harm it over time, when I say harm it it won't suddenly die but it will suffer faster degradation how fast I couldn't say but I would not leave it in very high or low state of charge for long periods.

Actually if the car is at a very low charge it will display a message warning of battery damage if not charged for a long time but this also means extended periods at a low charge, charging the odd time isn't good enough.

Advertisement