Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothers and others

Options
  • 27-03-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Would like to join a team sport for exercise & motivation. I have never played GAA & know nothing about it at all but there is a mothers & others team local to me twice a week.

Is it possible to join knowing nothing about it & also being very unfit & overweight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Teams are generally delighted to have new people playing/training. You won't know until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AlisonN

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Teams are generally delighted to have new people playing/training. You won't know until you try.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah you’re right. I need to be brave & join :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

AlisonN wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah you’re right. I need to be brave & join :-)

You've nothing to lose by giving it a go. The worst that can happen is you'll make new friends, have a bit of fun and lose a few pounds aswell. And as Bonniedog said, teams are always happy to take new players on board whatever your level. You'll find that some of them may well be pretty new to it also, so you probably won't be alone in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

AlisonN wrote: »
    Would like to join a team sport for exercise & motivation. I have never played GAA & know nothing about it at all but there is a mothers & others team local to me twice a week.

Is it possible to join knowing nothing about it & also being very unfit & overweight?

Definitely go for it, I dont know anything much about the particular team or anything but going very simply on just their name it would seem to be very much a social, bit of fun thing as opposed to a results, win at all costs etc concept.

Good luck and enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

danganabu wrote: »
    Definitely go for it, I dont know anything much about the particular team or anything but going very simply on just their name it would seem to be very much a social, bit of fun thing as opposed to a results, win at all costs etc concept.

Good luck and enjoy!!

We've a team just like this in our local club. Various ladies of different levels of mortification joining.

All seem to be really enjoying it.

You're 99% of the way there, you know you want to........ So go for it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good idea first might be to go down and watch first and introduce yourself. Makes it easier way to break ice than arriving out of blue with gear bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

A team at home started that. There was so many mothers dropping sons and daughters off for trainings, they started staying to watch and chat, then they started kicking around for 10 minutes, then they started a team.

Now they train when their kids train and it's got a lot of ladies playing ball that were just killing time.

Go for it, treat it as a bit of fun and enjoy

Advertisement