Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea of Thieves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

My sister streams on Twitch, will be streaming Sea of Thieves again tonight, if anyone wants to give her a follow on Twitch, she's looking for people to come play with her

https://www.twitch.tv/enthra/videos/all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can you add people from Boards? I think there's a GamerTag thread in the Xbox Forum.

Would be great if we could set up something for Sea of Thieves specifically to help find crews.

Finding the random match making a pain! Twice last night I was thrown in the Brig within five seconds of spawning by randomers who think its funny.

Seems to be a contentious issue according to reddit and others.

Rare are going to have to put a time limits on it or something as you have to log out and match make again if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

amadablam wrote: »
    Finding the random match making a pain! Twice last night I was thrown in the Brig within five seconds of spawning by randomers who think its funny.

Same, didn't have too long to play lastnight so after 2 games that went like this I went out solo

Picked up a few contracts etc but just found myself sailing around for a bit and exploring random islands. I had only played some early beta tests, the world seemed to have a little bit more life to it but still a little bare.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The brig is a terrible idea the way it currently exists. It should be for putting captured enemy players in not for trolling your own crew mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Might download this tonight, I presume having a Mic is a must

• Advertisement

• This is absolute robbery for 70 quid on PC in its current state

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Might download this tonight, I presume having a Mic is a must

Not necessarily but it is very helpful. There are text commands built into multiple actions. Hold up on the D-pad when you are doing certain actions to see them.

For example, want to tell your crew what direction to go in. Select your compass and hold up on the D-pad and you can select between a list of compass bearings.

Want to tell your crew to kill the ship lights at night time. Select your lantern and hold up on the D-pad and select "lights out"

This is absolute robbery for 70 quid on PC in its current state

Think the only reason they increased the price was to drive people to gamepass

Not necessarily but it is very helpful. There are text commands built into multiple actions. Hold up on the D-pad when you are doing certain actions to see them.

For example, want to tell your crew what direction to go in. Select your compass and hold up on the D-pad and you can select between a list of compass bearings.

Want to tell your crew to kill the ship lights at night time. Select your lantern and hold up on the D-pad and select "lights out"

You need a Mic so :D might give it a shot so. Seems my squad on fortnite have jumped ship anyway and I'm sick of playing with randoms and no mics

Many have gotten it via Game Pass so only
    €10 per month. If you even play it for 3 months that's only €30.

The game isn't in a "state" at the moment. Just some day 1 launch issues that have been fixed. I am already 16 hours in since getting a full day headstart by switching my console region to New Zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why would you pay €70 when you can get Game Pass for €10?

• maximoose wrote: »
    Think the only reason they increased the price was to drive people to gamepass

That makes sense.

Of course I got it on gamepass. It had a 14 day trial too.

I've played a few hours so far and it feels slightly devoid of content at the moment. Repetitive fetch quests. It's got huge potential and I am definitely having fun but I can see it getting stale very quickly. I'd be pissed if I had paid 70 quid for it. Which I haven't, so I'm not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why would you pay €70 when you can get Game Pass for €10?
    For anyone going the Game Pass route, you can get it cheaper than €10 per month.

On the Microsoft Store select the Xbox Game Pass and use the "buy as gift" option.

You can buy 3 months for €20.97 or 6 months for €41.94 ... (works out at about €6.99 per month).

Strangely the Irish Store has this decent discount but the US and other international ones don't

Any Xbone players online to show me the ropes?

Got on for around 2 hours lastnight with 3 friends, and I have to say I loved it.

BUT.. while it was great fun getting familiar with the game and quests, I can see how it will get very stale very quickly for people playing anything more than casually.

Would love to see a roadmap from Rare for their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

maximoose wrote: »
    Got on for around 2 hours lastnight with 3 friends, and I have to say I loved it.

BUT.. while it was great fun getting familiar with the game and quests, I can see how it will get very stale very quickly for people playing anything more than casually.

Would love to see a roadmap from Rare for their plans.

I think it's just a different kind of game to what most of us are used to. For me it seems just something that you play to chill out and have a laugh with a few friends, just nothing too serious.

Played it for about 5 hours last night.
    I'm going to give it to the weekend but so far it just seems so repetitive. Will look into spending gold tonight and see does that spur me on but as of yet it's just average for me.
    It deserves a chance and mics are a must for me in this.

• Many have gotten it via Game Pass so only
    €10 per month. If you even play it for 3 months that's only €30.

The game isn't in a "state" at the moment. Just some day 1 launch issues that have been fixed. I am already 16 hours in since getting a full day headstart by switching my console region to New Zealand.

The game is in a state. It's as shallow as a puddle. Almost like a proof of concept. The water effects are absolutely fantastic. Seems like such a waste. How hard would have been to mix up the quests a little bit. We'll get the real Sea of Thieves in a few years hopefully.

Will look into spending gold tonight and see does that spur me on .

It's all just cosmetics, and from the brief look I had at some of the vendors - everything is insanely overpriced

maximoose wrote: »
    It's all just cosmetics, and from the brief look I had at some of the vendors - everything is insanely overpriced

Can you upgrade canons on ships etc?
    Also rarely met someone on the water last night. 3 ships in 5 hours playing

• Advertisement

The game is in a state. It's as shallow as a puddle. Almost like a proof of concept. The water effects are absolutely fantastic. Seems like such a waste. How hard would have been to mix up the quests a little bit. We'll get the real Sea of Thieves in a few years hopefully.
    I disagree.

I haven't noticed that at all. I am over 20 hours in now and having a blast.

For each of the 3 trading factions I am only level 20 out of 50.

Its open world PvP. Even a short hop to get a gold chest can turn into a chase/sea battle between crews. Very enjoyable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dunno, think I'm with Marina Little Strap on this one. The PvP is a lot of fun but it doesn't happen often enough and outside of the PvP it's very repetitive and doesn't seem to have much more content than the alpha build I played almost a year ago.

The foundation for a great game is there but I think it's fair to say that in its current state it's not really up to scratch.

Having said that I've not put as much time in as you Failsafe so maybe over the weekend when I get a proper bash at leveling up the factions I'll change my mind.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dunno, think I'm with Marina Little Strap on this one. The PvP is a lot of fun but it doesn't happen often enough and outside of the PvP it's very repetitive and doesn't seem to have much more content than the alpha build I played almost a year ago.

The foundation for a great game is there but I think it's fair to say that in its current state it's not really up to scratch.

Having said that I've not put as much time in as you Failsafe so maybe over the weekend when I get a proper bash at leveling up the factions I'll change my mind.

I think the game isn't everyone's cup of tea however the game is incredibly popular. How long that lasts we will have to wait and see.

John from Digital Foundry shares my view of the game. For me its a fun experience. I am not looking at content and saying there isn't this and that. I am enjoying my experience has a pirate in the world Rare have created.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/976380866443251712

• Managed to beat one of those skull cloud things. All I can buy is cosmetics.

bEQ3kag.jpg

Managed to beat one of those skull cloud things. All I can buy is cosmetics.
    What would you like to buy?

Here is my skull fort (skull cloud above the fort) experience from last night :D

I was after finishing a good session for the night so I took out a solo sloop for a quick nosey. It was chaos. 3 galleons fighting to get in a position to take the fort. The outcome was 2 galleons remained after 30 minutes still taking chunks out of each other while circling. Since every skull fort raid is on a time limit they formed an alliance using proximity chat and took the fort and split the loot.

The end for me was pursing one of the ships when I went to look at my map they did a fast 180 and came straight for me. With 2 crew members at the front of the ship they dived onto my ship and blew the barrels killing both of themselves and me in the process. In the ferry of the damned I talked to them in proximity chat asking how their deal went down at the fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Just curious are the people who dislike the game playing solo? I adore the multiplayer of the game and can see why a game designed for sandbox fun with friends doesn't appeal to solo players. It's unfortunate that people are judging the game while servers were constantly crashing. I'm looking forward to more content but the enjoyment and stories I've got from the betas alone were more memorable than the majority of games.

• What would you like to buy?

Here is my skull fort (skull cloud above the fort) experience from last night :D

I was after finishing a good session for the night so I took out a solo sloop for a quick nosey. It was chaos. 3 galleons fighting to get in a position to take the fort. The outcome was 2 galleons remained after 30 minutes still taking chunks out of each other while circling. Since every skull fort raid is on a time limit they formed an alliance using proximity chat and took the fort and split the loot.

The end for me was pursing one of the ships when I went to look at my map they did a fast 180 and came straight for me. With 2 crew members at the front of the ship they dived onto my ship and blew the barrels killing both of themselves and me in the process. In the ferry of the damned I talked to them in proximity chat asking how their deal went down at the fort.

That looks wildly different to my experience. Yours is like a warzone. There was just two of us taking turns going onto the island to kill the skeletons or attract them into the line of sight of the cannons of our ship. One other ship arrived which we quickly dispatched. The skeletons started firing at him too so it made it kinda easy. For whatever reason, the skeletons stopped firing at us once we killed them the first time. We thought it was bugged for a while because the waves of skeletons took so long. There was maybe 30 waves in total before the boss appeared. I thought it was bugged so there was a lingering feeling of whether we were wasting our time. Getting the loot was great. Took ages to pile it onto the boat and it was seriously squeaky-bum time hoping we would find a safe out post.

I'd like to buy ANYTHING more meaningful than skins. I can understand why they haven't included any progression elements. They want everyone to be on an even footing at all times, but must be a better way around that than making the money next to useless.

• I'm not playing solo at all really. Just playing with one other person. I'm not coming across a huge amount of other boats to be honest.

pcadhain wrote: »
    Just curious are the people who dislike the game playing solo? I adore the multiplayer of the game and can see why a game designed for sandbox fun with friends doesn't appeal to solo players. It's unfortunate that people are judging the game while servers were constantly crashing. I'm looking forward to more content but the enjoyment and stories I've got from the betas alone were more memorable than the majority of games.

Played with 3 other friends. All with mics. Am getting the hang of it so I will give it to the weekend until my final opinion on it. As said it deserves a chance and iv only played about 6 hours

• Advertisement

Have achievements been unlocking for anyone playing on PC?

Advertisement