Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion - Report of the Joint Committee on the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

because it's human, and it will develop into a person, and therefore it's right to life has to be protected.

So as predicted you did not answer the question but simply, once again, restated the thing I am questioning. No surprise there.

However what you DO say here is what I also say. That it is NOT a person. The question / evidence / challenge to you therefore is to offer the arguments you have been dodging so far that links rights and concerns to biological humanity rather than person hood. You are simply happy to beg the question.

This you have not done and, I suspect, can not do. It would require more knowledge of science and philosophy than you have displayed, and more willingness to engage in good faith with the conversation than you have demonstrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The moment cells divide it is life, you can argue when it should be considered human life or not but do accept that when you decide to have an abortion it is extinguishing life. I know how I will be voting and I am not even religious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cancer cells also split and divide and multiply growing inside a host.

Are you against cancer treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

david75 wrote: »
    Cancer cells also split and divide and multiply growing inside a host.

Are you against cancer treatment?

not a relevant comparison dav.
    cancer treatment attempts to, and is often successful in saving lives. abortion on the other hand takes lives. cancer treatment is always necessary when performed, abortion is only necessary in a small amount of cases.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

not a relevant comparison dav.
    cancer treatment attempts to, and is often successful in saving lives. abortion on the other hand takes lives. cancer treatment is always necessary when performed, abortion is only necessary in a small amount of cases.

As always EOTR you miss the point being made in such a spectacular fashion it’s rather amusing.
    Ps
    Stop calling me dav. I appreciate you have a limited ability to read full sentences and absorb facts but my name is not dav you are not familiar with me at all so I’ll thank you to stop that.

Also there’s a post three above yours still waiting on a reply from you. One you no doubt will ignore.

• Advertisement

As always EOTR you miss the point being made in such a spectacular fashion it’s rather amusing.

nope, i have got the point, there is no comparison between the 2. you will have to try again.
    Ps
    Stop calling me dav. I appreciate you have a limited ability to read full sentences and absorb facts but my name is not dav you are not familiar with me at all so I’ll thank you to stop that.

Also there’s a post three above yours still waiting on a reply from you. One you no doubt will ignore.

none of this is relevant to the topic of abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The moment cells divide it is life, you can argue when it should be considered human life or not but do accept that when you decide to have an abortion it is extinguishing life. I know how I will be voting and I am not even religious.

Voting to ban IVF, the Morning After pill, and travel to England?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blanch152 wrote: »
    This still gives me pause in respect of later-term abortions.

A prematurely born foetus is likely to have significant health issues all through their life. How do you balance that against a possibly temporary danger to a woman's health?
    Sure, but what "possible temporary danger" would bring a woman to request a termination at such a late term? You cite, "risk to her mental health", but can you give an example of such a risk that would only appear at 34 weeks but not 3 months earlier?

In any case, after 32/33 weeks the long-term prognosis for any premature birth is very close to a full term birth.

Remember that you're not just balancing the implications of a birth/pregnancy on the foetus and the mother, but the long-term implications for both. If a woman has had a mental "episode" at 34 weeks where suddenly a termination is necessary, it's unlikely that she will ever be in a place where she can care for that child independently.

So what's to be gained by forcing her to tough out the next six weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

abortion is highly likely being used as birth control

You're either a man who has no experience with abortion or a woman who has never had or known anyone who has had an abortion.

This is a ridiculous, disgusting and disrespectful statement to anyone who has even second-hand experience of abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

You're either a man who has no experience with abortion or a woman who has never had or known anyone who has had an abortion.

This is a ridiculous, disgusting and disrespectful statement to anyone who has even second-hand experience of abortion.

I would suggest a different approach here.

I don't think it's necessarily disgusting or disrespectful to suggest that people would end up using abortion as birth control. People can be weird and unpredictable and I don't think we can say either way.

Fortunately, it doesn't really matter as people abusing the procedure does not mean the the procedure should be banned outright. It just means that we should legislate for people who might end up abusing the system.

The reaction that it's a ridiculous, disgusting or disrespectful statement just feels like a copy of the kind of emotive language that the anti-abortion side are using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Are you a vegetarian?

You could argue that the moment the cells divide it is life but you can't argue that it's somehow inhumane or immoral to extinguish life at that point.

If there is only a collection of cells and no brain activity at the time of the abortion then what is the harm?

I don't understand why as a community or a culture or whatever we are saying to women "the cells have divided now so that's you stuck incubating a baby for the next 9 months".

Why is the woman obligated to keep that collection of cells alive? Why can't she ask for it to be removed from her body and if it cannot survive without her then too bad?

I am not seeing a good argument for how the right to life for a collection of non-sentient matter (up to 12 weeks, right?) trumps a woman's right to bodily autonomy?

Voting to ban IVF, the Morning After pill, and travel to England?

given there isn't going to be a vote on those i'd suggest they are irrelevant. the first 2 are nothing to do with abortion. and the third would effect those not procuring abortion if it was implamented.

none of this is relevant. it means nothing.

nope i don't agree. tell me what is ridiculous, disgusting and disrespectful about my opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

given there isn't going to be a vote on those i'd suggest they are irrelevant. the first 2 are nothing to do with abortion. and the third would effect those not procuring abortion if it was implemented.

If you read the post I was responding to, that poster believes life begins at conception. IVF, MAP and travel to England end life after conception in exactly the same way as termination up to 12 weeks as proposed here.

So to be consistent, the poster should be against those.

Clearly supporters of the 8th don't really believe life begins at conception or they would care about those cases. But if they don't believe that, then the 8th is stupid and should be repealed, so they have to pretend to believe that, and then change the subject. Or, as you just did, announce that this is all somehow "irrelevant".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

none of this is relevant. it means nothing.
    It is manifestly relevant to your statement.

nope i don't agree. tell me what is ridiculous, disgusting and disrespectful about my opinion?
    The statement that abortion would be (or is) used as birth control shows a massive lack of understanding of the abortion procedure, the physical and mental impact. It also denigrates women who obtain abortions and shows little to no respect to women in general.

It is manifestly relevant to your statement.

The statement that abortion would be (or is) used as birth control shows a massive lack of understanding of the abortion procedure, the physical and mental impact. It also denigrates women who obtain abortions and shows little to no respect to women in general.

i would have to disagree with both statements given that abortion involves the killing of a human being.
    my opinion no more denigrates women who have abortions then my opinion on a woman who would kill a newborn denigrates women who do it. it's the act that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

i would have to disagree with both statements given that abortion involves the killing of a human being.
    my opinion no more denigrates women who have abortions then my opinion on a woman who would kill a newborn denigrates women who do it. it's the act that is the problem.

Except when the Irish woman hops on a plane, then you don't mind at all.

You don't really do consistency, do you?

swampgas wrote: »
    Except when the Irish woman hops on a plane, then you don't mind at all.

You don't really do consistency, do you?

i do very much mind but she is legally allowed to do it given it's legal in britain and we cannot stop freedom of movement unless someone is a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

i do very much mind but she is legally allowed to do it given it's legal in britain and we cannot stop movement of freedom unless someone is a criminal.

But if she’s traveling to callously murder a defenseless irish citizen surely she is a criminal? And we’d be stopping her from going at all costs and unconveniences?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    But if she’s traveling to callously murder a defenseless irish citizen surely she is a criminal? And we’d be stopping her from going at all costs and unconveniences?

morally she has commited a murder yes . she has killed the most defenseless, the unborn. however, we have freedom of movement, and that means people will be going to other countries to commit acts that are legal there. we can't prosecute people who commit legal acts in other countries.
    we can however, vote to prevent the killing of the unborn here in ireland, which is what i, and many others will be trying to do come referendum day via our no vote.

morally she has commited a murder yes . she has killed the most defenseless, the unborn. however, we have freedom of movement, and that means people will be going to other countries to commit acts that are legal there. we can't prosecute people who commit legal acts in other countries.
    we can however, vote to prevent the killing of the unborn here in ireland, which is what i, and many others will be trying to do come referendum day via our no vote.

So you’re ok with abortion. Just not in Ireland.

But that’s not nimbyism? It’s hypocritical that much is certain.

• Advertisement

So you’re ok with abortion. Just not in Ireland.

nope. i'm not okay with it.
    But that’s not nimbyism? It’s hypocritical that much is certain.

it's not nimbyism or hypocritical to recognise the reality that we cannot stop someone going abroad unless it's to commit a criminal act in a country where the act is also criminal, or they have commited a criminal act here in ireland.

nope. i'm not okay with it.

it's not nimbyism or hypocritical to recognise the reality that we cannot stop someone going abroad unless it's to commit a criminal act in a country where the act is also criminal, or they have commited a criminal act here in ireland.

Then you should be campaigning against the 13th amendment not the 8th

But you’re not. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

however, we have freedom of movement, and that means people will be going to other countries to commit acts that are legal there. we can't prosecute people who commit legal acts in other countries.

Wrong in two ways.

Firstly, the 8th amendment has an exemption from the various EU treaties, so freedom of movement wouldn't be a barrier to prosecuting someone having an abortion overseas if we wanted to.

Secondly, even if that wasn't the case, freedom of movement doesn't prevent us from criminalising acts that are legal elsewhere. For example, someone in Ireland who arranged the euthanasia or assisted suicide of another person abroad could still be tried under Irish laws. The same could be applied to abortion.

This is moot though, because the reason we don't prosecute people for having abortions abroad is simply because we don't want to, and that includes you.

Then you should be campaigning against the 13th amendment not the 8th

But you’re not. Why is that?

i already answered that question. it's in my previous post.

i already answered that question. it's in my previous post.

You don’t seem to realise how hypocritical you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

It's not a human being. It's a developing one.

I'll bite though.

My partner and I have suffered numerous mc's, one stillbirth, and we had to have one abortion. We had to abort due to her uterine wall not being stable (fully healed) enough to support that baby's growth and development. We had to travel to the UK to do that.

Do you think it is right that we had to travel to have this medical procedure performed? Do you think it's right that we were sent on our merry way with no aftercare or support back home? Voting no essentially keeps that out of our grasp along with many others in the same situation as us.

Do you believe my partner committed a crime (moral or otherwise) in seeking an abortion for a baby she physically could not support due to something completely out of her control?

If your answer is a yes to those questions, you need to take a long hard look at your mindset before voting.

Repealing the 8th a long time ago would have meant herself could have received the appropriate amount of after care and support (physically and mentally) required.

It's not a human being. It's a developing one.

I'll bite though.

My partner and I have suffered numerous mc's, one stillbirth, and we had to have one abortion. We had to abort due to her uterine wall not being stable (fully healed) enough to support that baby's growth and development. We had to travel to the UK to do that.

Do you think it is right that we had to travel to have this medical procedure performed? Do you think it's right that we were sent on our merry way with no aftercare or support back home? Voting no essentially keeps that out of our grasp along with many others in the same situation as us.

Do you believe my partner committed a crime (moral or otherwise) in seeking an abortion for a baby she physically could not support due to something completely out of her control?

If your answer is a yes to those questions, you need to take a long hard look at your mindset before voting.

Repealing the 8th a long time ago would have meant herself could have received the appropriate amount of after care and support (physically and mentally) required.

it's a human being. right from the minute it begins developing. this cannot be disputed. the argument you are trying to have is about personhood.
    your case is a medical case so should be facilitated in ireland. however, due to the proposals being put on the table by the government, to allow abortion on demand up to 12 weeks, there is no other option for me and many others but to vote no . a successful no vote if it happens, will ultimately prevent the proposal to allow abortion on demand up to 12 weeks from becoming a reality. for me and many others, abortion on demand is not an option, and we will not vote for anything that allows it, because the government had, and still have an opportunity to put forward proposals that we can vote on. the government have forced us to vote no
    i don't need to take any look at my mindset. i'm happy with my view, i came to it via facts logic and general reality, from the pro-choice view i used to hold in my late teens early 20s. i realised that what i was defending, in supporting the availability to kill an unborn child for any reason, was wrong, and that the arguments i was defending just did not stack up when put to the test on various other issues. i realised they could be extended to issues i would disagree with. finding out the reality of what an abortion involves for the unborn was the final straw.
    i'm ashamed that i supported the availability to kill the most innocent of society without any reason. i was wrong to do that. i am right however to support the availability of abortion in medically necessary circumstances, such as to save the mother's life, the threat of permanent injury or disability, FFA cases, among other medical reasons. these are necessary as while it will be aweful that the unborn will die, the reality is that if the mother sadly passes away, the unborn will pass away as well.
    i'm very prowd and happy that i saw the reality. i'm not ashamed to be pro-life and never will be. i'm not ashamed that i value both mother and baby's lives. i made a mistake in believing what i believed. i was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

If you could, would you strengthen the 8th to make it a criminal offence to travel for an abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

it's a human being. right from the minute it begins developing. this cannot be disputed. the argument you are trying to have is about personhood.
    your case is a medical case so should be facilitated in ireland. however, due to the proposals being put on the table by the government, to allow abortion on demand up to 12 weeks, there is no other option for me and many others but to vote no . a successful no vote if it happens, will ultimately prevent the proposal to allow abortion on demand up to 12 weeks from becoming a reality. for me and many others, abortion on demand is not an option, and we will not vote for anything that allows it, because the government had, and still have an opportunity to put forward proposals that we can vote on. the government have forced us to vote no
    i don't need to take any look at my mindset. i'm happy with my view, i came to it via facts logic and general reality, from the pro-choice view i used to hold in my late teens early 20s. i realised that what i was defending, in supporting the availability to kill an unborn child for any reason, was wrong, and that the arguments i was defending just did not stack up when put to the test on various other issues. i realised they could be extended to issues i would disagree with. finding out the reality of what an abortion involves for the unborn was the final straw.
    i'm ashamed that i supported the availability to kill the most innocent of society without any reason. i was wrong to do that. i am right however to support the availability of abortion in medically necessary circumstances, such as to save the mother's life, the threat of permanent injury or disability, FFA cases, among other medical reasons. these are necessary as while it will be aweful that the unborn will die, the reality is that if the mother sadly passes away, the unborn will pass away as well.
    i'm very prowd and happy that i saw the reality. i'm not ashamed to be pro-life and never will be. i'm not ashamed that i value both mother and baby's lives. i made a mistake in believing what i believed. i was wrong.

I'm fairly certain every poster on boards would dispute that.

Have you got any factual evidence of this abortion on demand phrase?

You were previously challenged on your view that abortion is a form of birth control. I've yet to see factual rebuttals from you regarding this.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control this will help you greatly in defining what is and what is not a form of birth control.

Also -
    the government have forced us to vote no

Nope, you're doing that well of your own accord.

By the way up until 8 weeks it's considered an embryo. Do you want to give an embryo more rights than an actual person standing in front of you?

• Advertisement

The word you’re consistently spelling wrong is ‘Proud’. Prowd isn’t a word.

If you want anyone to bother reading your posts, You should also learn how to use paragraphs. Just push enter. It’s the one with the arrow on it.

Proud I could help you on this small irritating matter.

Advertisement