Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discussion on the height and physical fitness of Gardai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Probably the former

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They need to reintroduce the height requirements for entrance. Looking at a program on RTE during the week about policing in Temple Bar on St.Patricks day and the absolute state of most of them, one in particular walked briskly after a drunk person and could barely speak he was so out of breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They need to reintroduce the height requirements for entrance. Looking at a program on RTE during the week about policing in Temple Bar on St.Patricks day and the absolute state of most of them, one in particular walked briskly after a drunk person and could barely speak he was so out of breath.

What has height got to do with been out of breath after a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What has height got to do with been out of breath after a run?

While there is no direct link (but there is) some Gardai I have met were well out of shape, putting it mildly :)

wonski wrote: »
    While there is no direct link (but there is) some Gardai I have met were well out of shape, putting it mildly :)

Again what has been out of shape got to do with height. If there is a facts please link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Again what has been out of shape got to do with height. If there is a facts please link

There isn't a link but overall the physical appearance of the force isn't great. Not the fault of the members in the most part given they are not fed properly and end up eating fast food every time they are on nights. But look at them compared to other European forces.

Height is one element, the general fitness is another.

There isn't a link but overall the physical appearance of the force isn't great. Not the fault of the members in the most part given they are not fed properly and end up eating fast food every time they are on nights. But look at them compared to other European forces.

Height is one element, the general fitness is another.

I am not disagreeing however the poster soured started of about height requirement and how unfit they were. When I challenged this is replied there was a correlation between the 2 and proven (in their mind anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have been to loads of countries and our police compare very favourably.
    I think the uniform needs modernising though.

I am not disagreeing however the poster soured started of about height requirement and how unfit they were. When I challenged this is replied there was a correlation between the 2 and proven (in their mind anyway)

I am not saying there is a direct link, and I didn't even bring it up, but it is my observation.

I believe now its all down to BMI when it comes to recruitment, but also believe the force should be respectably looking, and it's not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I am not saying there is a direct link, and I didn't even bring it up, but it is my observation.

I believe now its all down to BMI when it comes to recruitment, but also believe the force should be respectably looking, and it's not always the case.

It isn't all down to BMI there is a fitness test for new recruits.

Not an annual fitness test, obviously.

Still wondering what height has to do with fitness.

• Advertisement

The above shows you did and you believe there is a link

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

No surprise really, as they don't have annual fitness tests. Bit stupid IMO.

If I hit over 30 in my BMI and/or fail my fitness tests three times in a specific period, I'm out of a job. Keeps me on top of my training and diet.

RayCun wrote: »

Tall people look more respectable and often, from my observation, have a better physical ability.

Can we just stop this anyway, let's just accept we both have our views (different views) on how the police force should look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tall people look more respectable and often, from my observation, have a better physical ability.

Can we just stop this anyway, let's just accept we both have our views (different views) on how the police force should look.

The height doesn't matter. The baton and pepper spray will still do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm a tall lad, would easily make the height requirements. However if Peter Stringer was chasing me, I'd be ****ting myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Let's see I'm 6ft and my mate is 6ft 4....

Garda comes over to put manners on us but they are 5ft 5 in all honesty what are they going to do looking up at us.?????

Sorry no this is a discussion website and you made a point and have been asked to defend it. Then you tried to say you did not say there were a correlation but you did. Now you just want us to drop it just because you can not back it up

Odelay wrote: »
    I'm a tall lad, would easily make the height requirements. However if Peter Stringer was chasing me, I'd be ****ting myself.

He was like a jack Russell he would nip at your ankels

Garda comes over to put manners on us but they are 5ft 5 in all honesty what are they going to do looking up at us.?????

A mouth full of pepper spray each and you'd change your tune.:pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    A mouth full of pepper spray each and you'd change your tune.:pac:

Wouldn't reach though....

The garda would also be affected....

• Advertisement

Punch you in the balls.

That's a ridiculous argument. Next up, me and my mate are both 6' 6. What is some 5'10 shrimp going to do?

Followed by, me and my mate are both seven foot powerlifters who also have multiple black belts. What is some six foot wimp going to do? And so on.

The job is not to walk around looking intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

An asp to side of the leg would probably bring you down to his level :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Huh? If there is logic there it does not compute ...
    So all guards should be 7ft 4 by your reckoning because you're 6ft and your mate is 6ft 4. :rolleyes:

The average female in this country is 5ft .5 and male is 5ft.10. We dont need all lanky giraffes as Gardai ...

Fcekin heightist ...

Wouldn't reach though....

The garda would also be affected....

Lol. You know they spray taller people all the time. I know a couple of people who got sprayed while drunk and getting lippy with gardai and they said your pretty much fcuked for half an hour.

I'm 6'3" myself and if the can came out I'd shut my beak and comply.

Sorry no this is a discussion website and you made a point and have been asked to defend it. Then you tried to say you did not say there were a correlation but you did. Now you just want us to drop it just because you can not back it up

But I already answered, what else do you want me to do?

I don't want to drag it for 20 pages. Do you want me to Google about how tall well built people are better fit for service than the short skinny ones?

There are already other posters suggesting there is nothing a baton and pepper spray won't fix, which is a fair point tbh :)

It's a discussion, I made a point and I do not have to defend it by linking a scientific research to anything I say. And I won't say I was wrong, because it was my opinion on the subject.

I wanted to drop it to run the thread back on its course, not because I was wrong.

"Do you want me to Google about how tall well built people are better fit for service than the short skinny ones?"

No, the relevant thing would be to Google evidence that tall people are in shape and short people aren't, because that's what you were saying

wonski wrote:
    "Do you want me to Google about how tall well built people are better fit for service than the short skinny ones?"

No, the relevant thing would be to Google evidence that tall people are in shape and short people aren't, because that's what you were saying

Excellent point. I just love the qouted posters logic that height = well built and short = skinny!

rofl

gozunda wrote: »
    Excellent point. I just love the posters logic that height = well built and short = skinny!

rofl

I don't think the poster was agreeing he was responding to the post above his

But I already answered, what else do you want me to do?

I don't want to drag it for 20 pages. Do you want me to Google about how tall well built people are better fit for service than the short skinny ones?

There are already other posters suggesting there is nothing a baton and pepper spray won't fix, which is a fair point tbh :)

It's a discussion, I made a point and I do not have to defend it by linking a scientific research to anything I say. And I won't say I was wrong, because it was my opinion on the subject.

I wanted to drop it to run the thread back on its course, not because I was wrong.

So no correlation small or tall person can be both fit and both could be unhealthy excellent

• Advertisement

I don't think the poster was agreeing he was responding to the post above his

Yes I know that. I was agreeing with that poster and adding an additional comment...

Advertisement